• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Bowlers

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Who else did you dream of last night ? Kidding :)

How come ?
Well, I decided to have a proper look at his record. I hadn't read much about him in depth before, instead just going by the mistaken assumption that he probably 'just averaged 24 or something'. The only book I have by a fast bowler is Dennis Lillee's autobiography and while he expresses admiration for Trueman, he cannot really talk about him in depth. Being the first to take 300 Test wickets is impressive, too.

BTW, I can't even remember what I dreamt about last night. :dry:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I decided to have a proper look at his record. I hadn't read much about him in depth before, instead just going by the mistaken assumption that he probably 'just averaged 24 or something'. The only book I have by a fast bowler is Dennis Lillee's autobiography and while he expresses admiration for Trueman, he cannot really talk about him in depth. Being the first to take 300 Test wickets is impressive, too.

BTW, I can't even remember what I dreamt about last night. :dry:
Trueman was a terrific bowler but it would be a tragedy and an injustice to the great man if you were going to form an opinion about him purely on the basis of his tally of wickets and his average. If you really wish to know how good he was you need to read about him.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Trueman was a terrific bowler but it would be a tragedy and an injustice to the great man if you were going to form an opinion about him purely on the basis of his tally of wickets and his average. If you really wish to know how good he was you need to read about him.
You're right, but knowing something about him's better than knowing nothing at all, I guess.

funnygirl

State Regular
1. O'Reilly
2. Warne

Warne - 12
Imran/Lillee - 7
O'Reilly - 5
Trueman - 4
Grimmett - 2
Wasim/Larwood/Lindwall - 1
I really don't have any idea how did u count these votes .U have completed upto rank numebe 6 .Then started poll for rank number 7, right ? How Warne got 12 votes:unsure:

Anyway Warne
Wasim

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I really don't have any idea how did u count these votes .U have completed upto rank numebe 6 .Then started poll for rank number 7, right ? How Warne got 12 votes:unsure:

Anyway Warne
Wasim
2 points for each primary vote, and 1 point for each secondary vote...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Bill O'Reilly
2. George Lohmann

Lohmann hasn't got a single vote until mine...Come on guys, you can't ignore the great man for too long...