• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

biased indian

International Coach
Not really sure how you practice your one day bowling and your Test batting, without potentially improving your one day batting and Test bowling.
i think Vettori is a better bowler than franklin and if he can become a more reliable batsmen they can remove franklin and play jeets they are nay way having 3 fast bowlers

and for ODI bowling its more of a containment i dont think there is much left for vettori to improve by bowling in test he already has vast enough experiance in that

Athlai

Not Terrible
i think Vettori is a better bowler than franklin and if he can become a more reliable batsmen they can remove franklin and play jeets they are nay way having 3 fast bowlers

and for ODI bowling its more of a containment i dont think there is much left for vettori to improve by bowling in test he already has vast enough experiance in that
Franklin is probably in the top 3 fast bowlers in the country. So the point is kinda strange.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A few of observations from the test & series;

1) The ridiculously defensive captaincy of Dhoni in this game (whether 1-0 up or not)not declaring with a lead of 450-500 knowing weather & bad light could play a factor on Day 5 with the knowledge that Harbhajan had last use with the ball(ended up costing him the test)

2) The return of Chris Martin; 14 wickets @ 32- so far and away the best NZ bowler in the series it wasn't funny. In fact tied with Z Khan as best pacer of the series for mine given he bowled to a much better batting lineup than Khan even if Khan's 13 wickets did cost 30

3) The continued ineffectiveness of Vettori as a test bowler against decent batting lineups and the sheer contrast between he and a world-class test spinner like Harbhajan Singh.
IMO Vettori's not a good enough test bowler to bat as low as 8 & needs to bat at a genuine allrounders spot at no 7 to allow more potent bowlers to be included in the lineup

Zinzan

[B]Jeetan Patel 4 W @ 45

Something kind of sad about New Zealands second best bowler only getting one match. He bowled entirely without luck in Napier despite being easily the most threatening bowler in the match and should rightfully be peeved off that he was dropped for Southee in Wellington. Could have easily came out of Napier with 8 wickets.[/B]

A selection based purely on the fact he's your favourite player IMO - Next best bowler in the series was Sharma with 8 wickets @ 41, not someone with 4 @ 45

Also overall....3 frontline seamers & 1 spinner gives a test XI a more realistic balance than 2 seamers & 2 spinners IMHO

Athlai

Not Terrible
[B]Jeetan Patel 4 W @ 45

Something kind of sad about New Zealands second best bowler only getting one match. He bowled entirely without luck in Napier despite being easily the most threatening bowler in the match and should rightfully be peeved off that he was dropped for Southee in Wellington. Could have easily came out of Napier with 8 wickets.[/B]/QUOTE]

A selection based purely on the fact he's your favourite player IMO - Next best bowler in the series was Sharma with 8 wickets @ 41, not someone with 4 @ 45

Also overall....3 frontline seamers & 1 spinner gives a test XI a more realistic balance than 2 seamers & 2 spinners IMHO
Sharma never really looked unlucky, Jeetan quite clearly did, he also wasn't a nonce in the field. And in Napier besides Harbhajan was probably the best bowler on show.

O'Brien bowled better than Ishant.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Only way that you can get away with it is if Oram is playing.

6. McCullum
7. Oram (or other way around)
8. Vettori
9. Patel
10. O'Brien
11. Martin

Athlai

Not Terrible

Sharma never really looked unlucky, Jeetan quite clearly did, he also wasn't a nonce in the field. And in Napier besides Harbhajan was probably the best bowler on show. In the highest scoring match he averaged 45 against easily the better batting lineup, Ishant got 8 wickets playing against the lesser lineup playing 3 matches.

O'Brien bowled better than Ishant.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not really sure how you practice your one day bowling and your Test batting, without potentially improving your one day batting and Test bowling.
Because for Vettori to increase the threat that he provides, he needs to start trying to get more sidespin on the ball. Which takes away from his one-day prowess.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Because for Vettori to increase the threat that he provides, he needs to start trying to get more sidespin on the ball. Which takes away from his one-day prowess.
He had lots of side spin at the start of his career and gradually lost it for more control. Dunno if he'd ever go back TBH.

Zinzan

He had lots of side spin at the start of his career and gradually lost it for more control. Dunno if he'd ever go back TBH.
You be right there, I vividly remember him getting a decent amount of purchase on the pill early in his career. Honestly, I reckon its simply a matter of him losing the ability to get much turn as opposed to him sacrificing it for control. It was quite sad to see Harby eat him for breakfast the way he did in the test series tbh. Was like the 'real deal' vs the pretender for me.

Dissector

International Debutant
I will take 1-0 but it's disappointing that we can't seem to go in the for kill against weaker sides. This is the third 1-0 away series win in the last few years and in each series we had the opportunity to win 2-0. The same against Pakistan when they last came to India. The thing is if we get in the habit of letting weaker sides get away, that will carry over to the games against the top sides that we need to win in order to become no.1.

Historically India has struggled to do better than 1-0 in its away tours. That was the result in the two 71 series wins as well. We did manage to beat Pakistan 2-1 in 2004 but again the margin was just one. Just about the only away wins with a greater margin that I can remember are 2-0 against England in 86 and the 3-1(?) against New Zealand in 68.

Zinzan

I will take 1-0 but it's disappointing that we can't seem to go in the for kill against weaker sides.
Yup fair point that & you can well & truly blame the skipper Dhoni for the brainless thinking that they needed a lead over 600 when everyone was made aware there was to be some bad weather in the air on day 5 coupled with the fact he had Harby bowling in the 4th innings.

Dhoni's captaincy has definitely gone down in my estimations after this blunder

adharcric

International Coach
I will take 1-0 but it's disappointing that we can't seem to go in the for kill against weaker sides. This is the third 1-0 away series win in the last few years and in each series we had the opportunity to win 2-0. The same against Pakistan when they last came to India. The thing is if we get in the habit of letting weaker sides get away, that will carry over to the games against the top sides that we need to win in order to become no.1.

Historically India has struggled to do better than 1-0 in its away tours. That was the result in the two 71 series wins as well. We did manage to beat Pakistan 2-1 in 2004 but again the margin was just one. Just about the only away wins with a greater margin that I can remember are 2-0 against England in 86 and the 3-1(?) against New Zealand in 68.
Huh? India had this 2-0 if the weather didn't interrupt. How did we let them get away? On what was still a decent pitch, our bowling and overall effort was pretty good. If you're talking about the declaration, Dhoni can't bank on the weather forecast - it's been wrong before in this series and if he had really followed that, it could've brought NZ back in the game.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup fair point that & you can well & truly blame the skipper Dhoni for the brainless thinking that they needed a lead over 600 when everyone was made aware there was to be some bad weather in the air on day 5 coupled with the fact he had Harby bowling in the 4th innings.

Dhoni's captaincy has definitely gone down in my estimations after this blunder
In the end, a series win is a series win. I don't blame him for taking the safe option, when otherwise you may have left the door ajar for NZ to chase down a still large total of 400 or so.