• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Does anyone know what happens to the rankings if India win? Do they equal or go past SA (IND on 118 SA on 119)?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Surprised by the lack of comment here from NZ posters on the absymal batting effort today. I guess we have seen it all before from this team since 2007. Batting second after the opposition posts a moderate score, we have been D.I.R.E. for some time now. What the hell is going on?

Two days gone and the test match is gone. That is just not good enough.

Polo23

International Debutant
Surprised by the lack of comment here from NZ posters on the absymal batting effort today. I guess we have seen it all before from this team since 2007. Batting second after the opposition posts a moderate score, we have been D.I.R.E. for some time now. What the hell is going on?

Two days gone and the test match is gone. That is just not good enough.
I would have had a rant but fortunately I was playing tennis all day so caught none of the dismissals. To be honest after we batted so well in Napier it was rather naive to think we'd follow it up in the next innings.

I'm bitterly disappointed, but not at all surprised.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, only Ryder's and Franklin's really pissed me off. Most of the rest were good balls or, in Taylor's case, a bad umpiring decision.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India lead by 233 at the end of the second day. At the end of the third day they should be 533 up - if they don't get bowled out. Why would you want to extend the lead beyond that?! It'd be absurd to bat into the 4th day.
Why give them two full days? I'm not saying its likely but 533 is gettable in two days. India already have the series, if they bat until after lunch on the fourth day, they could be up around 600-630 runs. That gives plenty of time to bowl them out, and leaves no chance for NZ to win no matter what. What's the downside - there is plenty of time, just keep batting.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Why give them two full days? I'm not saying its likely but 533 is gettable in two days. India already have the series, if they bat until after lunch on the fourth day, they could be up around 600-630 runs. That gives plenty of time to bowl them out, and leaves no chance for NZ to win no matter what. What's the downside - there is plenty of time, just keep batting.
I hope India push for the win, we've played such defensive cricket for so long, I'm so sick of 1-0 victories. I was so annoyed when they didn't enforce the follow on at the Oval in 07, missed a great opportunity to get a big victory, the conditions were perfect that session for Zaheer, instead Dravid batted probably the worst innings of his career. Untill they start really hammering opposition in series (i.e. 2-0, 3-0, 3-1) they'll never be considered the no.1 side. Let's see some killer instinct from India and finish this one off.

Evermind

International Debutant
I hope India push for the win, we've played such defensive cricket for so long, I'm so sick of 1-0 victories. I was so annoyed when they didn't enforce the follow on at the Oval in 07, missed a great opportunity to get a big victory, the conditions were perfect that session for Zaheer, instead Dravid batted probably the worst innings of his career. Untill they start really hammering opposition in series (i.e. 2-0, 3-0, 3-1) they'll never be considered the no.1 side. Let's see some killer instinct from India and finish this one off.
Yeah, what he said.

533 - 4th innings score from NZ? Are you kidding me? Even Australia can't do that. SA can't, India can't. Every run scored in the 4th innings in excess of 500 is a total waste IMO.

ret

International Debutant
Shuffling the batting order can be a lot more damaging in tests than in ODIs. If he had brought in Yuvraj who is not used to playing the new ball early in his inning and had he got out early, we would be 10/2. There would be an unnecessary pressure created on the upcoming batsmen. It would also be unnatural for Dravid to to bat out of his conventional number three spot.
yep, i know that .... as far as I m concerned, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to promote Yuvi and see how he goes. and when I am saying that it wouldn't have been a bad idea, I am obviously looking at brighter side and not 10/2 kind of scenario ;) .... on Dravid having to bat out of his natural position, I m sure he has had to go though that and adjusted well when India would have sent in a night watchman in his place. As we know, it can be tough at times when you have to go in with like 10 overs to go so on occasions players don't mind some shuffling

in short, you have to look at the position a team is in, how the bowling attack is, how the pitch is behaving, how many overs are left for the day and so on to evaluate a shuffle in a batting order but yeah you are generally right

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, what he said.

533 - 4th innings score from NZ? Are you kidding me? Even Australia can't do that. SA can't, India can't. Every run scored in the 4th innings in excess of 500 is a total waste IMO.
I reckon every run scored in the 4th innings over 500 is a miracle. But those scored in the 3rd innings are not quite as valuable.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, only Ryder's and Franklin's really pissed me off. Most of the rest were good balls or, in Taylor's case, a bad umpiring decision.
What was wrong with Ryder's? What's the moral objection to batsmen trying to score runs off a bad ball?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
His right. I said it before the series, international number 6, my ass. Oram to take the role back for the Sri Lankan series or if he is injured (probably), just call in a real batsman given Franklin's bowling since coming back from injury isn't threatening or economical.

Last edited: