• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Napier is always a road mate. No one was ever expecting it to be a good bowling wicket. Hamilton tends to be flat as well.

The Basin? Some honest runs there but always something for the bowlers too.
Overall NZ have averaged 30.2 at this ground while India 21.4

Napier?
NZ 36.65
India 49.52

Hamilton?
NZ 33.28
India 34.54
No matter what is the history of the pitch mate,If i am 1-0 down in the series i will
leave grass on the wicket,or water it as its better to go 2-0 fighting than 1-0 and do not tell
me that it is not possible to water the pitch.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Napier is always a road mate. No one was ever expecting it to be a good bowling wicket. Hamilton tends to be flat as well.

The Basin? Some honest runs there but always something for the bowlers too.
Overall NZ have averaged 30.2 at this ground while India 21.4

Napier?
NZ 36.65
India 49.52

Hamilton?
NZ 33.28
India 34.54
Are those figures for Napier and Hamilton before or after the two Tests of this series. I suspect they are after. If so, the comparison with The Basin is incorrect

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
I understand, Wellington will be pacey, that is why we have to play Southee, martin is too slow to cause trouble, win the toss and bat, and then in the last couple of days the blackcaps have to hope Vettori does his magic, there is 40 years on history on the line, India wont be playing for a Draw.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I understand, Wellington will be pacey, that is why we have to play Southee, martin is too slow to cause trouble, win the toss and bat, and then in the last couple of days the blackcaps have to hope Vettori does his magic, there is 40 years on history on the line, India wont be playing for a Draw.
Is he even capable of doing it?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Sadly I can't remember the last time Dan the man spun us to victory against quality opposition.

Maximus0723

State Regular
lol at choosing a worst player b.c he has more pace.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Uhh, I'm pretty sure they're around the same pace. If I had to say that one was faster, it'd be Martin.
Yup, Martin is consistently high 130's to low 140's, Southee is around the 135-139kph mark, so a touch slower. Southee's pace also drops off in his 2nd and 3rd spells to around the low 130's, whereas Martin more or less remains in the mid to high 130's.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Are those figures for Napier and Hamilton before or after the two Tests of this series. I suspect they are after. If so, the comparison with The Basin is incorrect
@ Napier pre current series:

India 39.77
NZ 33.29

@ Hamilton

NZ 33.78
India 29.80 (though Hamilton in recent years has been much flatter than the occassional MINEFIELD of yesteryears)

So the Basin is still 8 runs below the averages of even a revised Hamilton for India and is IMO our best bowling surface by a wide margin.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes we are ready for a green top imo. We have hown by winning at Perth that we can handle difficult conditions. Time and again our seam bowling has been better than the opposition's in bowler friendly conditions. I wont call this the greatest Indian side yet but bring it on as you say.
India's best handling of difficult conditions was in England 2007, but their success under grey skies in the second test needs to be qualified by some poor batting at Lord's in the first test. Not long before that, they struggled in South Africa.

I do expect India to deal with seaming tracks if presented with them, simply because i think their batsmen are good enough to overcome them. But i don't think they've proven that they can. Certainly not time and time again.

Days of Grace

International Captain
It's impossible to prove yourself time and time again on seaming wickets because there ain't that many of them around the world. How often would an international team encounter a seaming test wicket? Once a year? Once every two years?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's impossible to prove yourself time and time again on seaming wickets because there ain't that many of them around the world. How often would an international team encounter a seaming test wicket? Once a year? Once every two years?
Indeed. I always think it's funny when people say, "he'll never be test-class because his technical weaknesses mean he's bound to be found out against top-class bowling in helpful conditions". How often do you face top-class bowling in helpful conditions? Once every 30 matches?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The wicket is as flat as a tac with Vettori going on record and saying that he's never seen a Basin pitch like this. I'm ****ing fed up. I don't care who's to blame for these idiotic pitches whether it be the BCCI, the NZC, the TV companies or the groundsmen. Heads should roll for these pitches. They've turned what could've been an interesting series into (with the exception of India's appauling batting on day 3 at Napier) a no contest. For the batsmen, this tour hasn't been a New Zealand summer of cricket. It's been 2 months of glorified batting practice. And if I turn up to the Basin tomorrow afternoon and watch India or New Zealand finish the day at 350/3, I won't be coming back.

Athlai

Not Terrible
lol, man I think we see a lot more helpful wickets than you guys are making out. While certainly not to the extent of yesteryear we aren't see every pitch being a 500 run borefest in Tests now are we?

In ODI cricket in NZ maybe every wicket is made to set 300, but the Basin isn't the bloody cake tin. We have wiiiiiiind!

WIIIIIIND!

Athlai

Not Terrible
The wicket is as flat as a tac with Vettori going on record and saying that he's never seen a Basin pitch like this. I'm ****ing fed up. I don't care who's to blame for these idiotic pitches whether it be the BCCI, the NZC, the TV companies or the groundsmen. Heads should roll for these pitches. They've turned what could've been an interesting series into (with the exception of India's appauling batting on day 3 at Napier) a no contest. For the batsmen, this tour hasn't been a New Zealand summer of cricket. It's been 2 months of glorified batting practice. And if I turn up to the Basin tomorrow afternoon and watch India or New Zealand finish the day at 350/3, I won't be coming back.
Yeah the grass of the past week has had the **** rolled out of it. Honestly it was looking like a sporting wicket and then over the last day or two when the teams were in town they've taken the life out of it.

Makes me sad. Won't be a Napier though.

ret

International Debutant
It's not the pitch but the weather conditions that will pose challenges to the Indians, according to cricinfo.

The Ind side pretty much pick itself. Dhoni will make a decision on whether he will play on the morning of the game.

The Q for me would be
- Bhajji or Mishra .... Bhajji had a good time in the first test, in the 2nd he was ok. Is it the time to give an opportunity to Mishra and see if he can bring something exciting to the table
- Yuvi or Mishra .... The classic, extra bowler or batsman

ret

International Debutant
Personally would have him in for Munaf, judging by the pitch report.
in the above case, my concern would be what If one of the quicks breaks down for some reason during the game .... Ind has no one to support the other quick .... Earlier Ganguly was there to mantle