• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Rajasthan have got it sorted. They have a connection with the Cobras, a possible team base and some very handy warm up matches! Moreover, less to wait for Atul Sharma!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Rajasthan have got it sorted. They have a connection with the Cobras, a possible team base and some very handy warm up matches! Moreover, less to wait for Atul Sharma!
Cricinfo still have him as a 37-year-old with one List A match.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo still have him as a 37-year-old with one List A match.
Different person with the same name, perhaps...

But the more important issue is that Rajasthan have established quite the connection and stronghold within South Africa. Has any other franchise shown such organisation? I know little to nothing about SA domestic, but aren't the Cobras the most star studded franchise and so the best bet to forge a partnership with?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

But the more important issue is that Rajasthan have established quite the connection and stronghold within South Africa. Has any other franchise shown such organisation? I know little to nothing about SA domestic, but aren't the Cobras the most star studded franchise and so the best bet to forge a partnership with?
I think Mumbai were already doing something with Pollock and Dolphins, before the move took place. I haven't heard of anything else.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Mumbai were already doing something with Pollock and Dolphins, before the move took place. I haven't heard of anything else.
I do recall reading this article, which was before a move to South Africa was contemplated - quite fortunately panned out well for the Mumbai Indians.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Use to be. They still have the likes of Smith, Gibbs, JP and Langeveldt but Kallis, Boucher and Prince left last year. Although, the Cobras are the domestic 20/20 champions.

Royals probably want a 'base' at Newlands as the Cape and Durban will be two places which will see the most local support turn out for the IPL.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, he'll count as a domestic player. Teams are allowed two South African domestic players as part of their quota of seven/eight (not sure) domestic players per team.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, he'll count as a domestic player. Teams are allowed two South African domestic players as part of their quota of seven/eight (not sure) domestic players per team.
Wow, definitely shifts the balance of power. One of Rajasthan's strengths last year was the performance of their Indian domestic players, such as Asnodkar, Jadeja, Trivedi. I guess if you only need to play five Indians then some teams can almost make that up with internationals.

Do you know what a 'South African domestic player' means in terms of whether they have played any international cricket?

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
what the heck?are you sure about this?.If this is true then it will definitely favor teams who have drafted a lot of south africans in their team.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
what the heck?are you sure about this?.If this is true then it will definitely favor teams who have drafted a lot of south africans in their team.
Bangalore will have a field day with this. I've forgotten the rules on the minimum number of local players from the catchment areas in the playing XI. I think it was 4? So Bangalore could field as many as 7 international players in a game?

gvenkat

State Captain
With respect to the limit of the foreign players i think the rules stay same as last year. Just becuase the league is held in SA does not mean that they can have as many southafricans as possible,

Remember it's still the "Indian Premier league". I think they would hold the rule of having only 4 non-indian players to be in the playing 11.

gvenkat

State Captain
Bangalore will have a field day with this. I've forgotten the rules on the minimum number of local players from the catchment areas in the playing XI. I think it was 4? So Bangalore could field as many as 7 international players in a game?
This article clerly states that.

Cricinfo - IPL franchises race to get a base
"We intend to take 22 players," Delhi's Sekhar said. "In any case there will be seven Indians and four foreigners. There will six other foreigners as back-up so you need that for the Indians also."

Shri

Mr. Glass
So, CSK can play both Albie Morkel and Ntini + 4 other overseas players? Would be awesome for us.