• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

Precambrian

Banned
More from the home office minister who seems to imply calling off the IPL should happen. I'm fairly ignorant of the current situation in India, but I didn't think it was that bad that the police couldn't cope with holding an election and a sports event at the same time.
How can that be "bad"? It is a general election involving 1.3 billion people, and determining the future of the country's governance, and fair call that we need all our resources and some more to manage that. IPL is of no significance at all during that time.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, elections in India are so far removed formt he rest of the world. It's basically a month long affair to properly service the entire country and security need to be so tight to make that happen in times like these. Would have no problem with the government telling Modi and co that they are second priority here and if they want their tournament schedule it at a time when we can help you properly.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
With the bull headed approach of IPL promoters and the involvement of politicians, I dont see a very bright future for IPL.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
when the money is your ONLY concern, it is bound to go this way. I can understand the money being the top concern, but the ads, the revenue sharing, the policing of the rights of photos and videos, the advertising dispute, the big TV deal... It just shows that they were prepared to think of NOTHING but how much money it will get them...

I loved the IPL but I seriously want to see this year's edition get cancelled so that Modi and co. can start realizing that there is more to cricket than just money. They were handling it almost as if whatever happened at the IPL was their coniidential stuff. Unfortunately, sports doesn't work the way businesses do...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, elections in India are so far removed formt he rest of the world. It's basically a month long affair to properly service the entire country and security need to be so tight to make that happen in times like these. Would have no problem with the government telling Modi and co that they are second priority here and if they want their tournament schedule it at a time when we can help you properly.
Yeah, I'm not used to thinking of elections in this way, I kind of think of them as a one-day thing that doesn't really make any impact in terms of going about usual business.

Josh

International Regular
Rumour on ABC radio is that the IPL is being moved to South Africa due to security concerns.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Elections should be about democracy and hope into the future, and not demonstrations and violence. If you want to make a difference then cast a vote. simple. Then go home or to the stadium and watch the cricket. Rejoice in your contribution to democracy and enjoy the spectacle of IPL. It's not crickets fault and it shouldn't be held out as being in the wrong for holding tournament during election. In a true working democracy, every type of event proceeds as per normal during the formalities of electing a government. After all this isn't Zimbabwe we're talking about. Perhaps IPL could actually be a positive and distract the locals from any stupidity that may be planned during election time. Why oh why can't everyone love each other.

cheers

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Graeme Smith may now turn out for the Royals despite needing elbow surgery. :dry:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I came across this snippet on NDTV24x7- "Stop the IPL!" Some folks in Rajasthan have filed a Public Interest Litigation to prevent the IPL from being played in South Africa. This is appropriate, given that when the Rajasthan Royals were under threat of being shifted out of Jaipur, Warne threatened a revolt.

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
The schedule is out : Matches to be held in 8 cities: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban, Pretoria, East London, Kimberley, Bloemfontein and Port Elizabeth. Although there are 8 cities selected, seems there are no team-wise "homes".

April 18: Rajasthan Royals (RR) v Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) (4 pm) at Cape Town; Mumbai Indians (MI) v Chennai Super Kings (CSK) (8 pm) at Cape Town
April 19: Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) v Deccan Chargers (DC) (4 pm) at Cape Town; Delhi Daredevils (DD) v Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) (8 pm) at Cape Town
April 20: RCB V CSK (4 pm) at Port Elizabeth
April 21: RR v MI (4 pm) at Durban; KKR v KXIP (8 pm) at Durban
April 22: DD v CSK (4 pm) at Durban; RCB v DC (8 pm) at Cape Town
April 23: KKR v RR (4 pm) at Port Elizabeth
April 24: KXIP v RCB (4 pm) at Johannesburg
April 25: KKR v CSK (4 pm) at Cape Town; DC v MI (8 pm) at Durban
April 26: RR v KXIP (4 pm) at Cape Town; RCB v DD (8 pm) Port Elizabeth
April 27: KKR v MI (4 pm) at Cape Town; CSK v DC (8 pm) at Durban
April 28: DD v RR (4 pm) at Pretoria
April 29: MI v KXIP (4 pm) at Durban; KKR v RCB (8 pm) at Durban
April 30: DD v DC (4 pm) at Pretoria; RR v CSK (8 pm) at Pretoria
May 1: RCB v KXIP (4 pm) at East London; MI v KKR (8 pm) at Durban
May 2: RR v DC (4 pm) at Johannesburg; CSK v DD (8 pm) at Port Elizabeth
May 3: MI v RCB (4 pm) at Durban; KXIP v KKR (8 pm) at East London
May 4: DC v CSK (4 pm) at Port Elizabeth
May 5: DD v KKR (4 pm) at Durban; KXIP v RR (8 pm) at Durban
May 6: MI v DC (4 pm) at Pretoria
May 7: KXIP v CSK (4 pm) at Pretoria; RCB v RR (8 pm) at Pretoria
May 8: DD v MI (4 pm) at East London
May 9: DC v KXIP (4 pm) at Bloemfontein; CSK v RR (8 pm) at Port Elizabeth
May 10: KKR v DD (4 pm) at East London; RCB v MI (8 pm) at Johannesburg
May 11: DC v RR (4 pm) at Bloemfontein
May 12: RCB v KKR (4 pm) at Pretoria; KXIP v MI (8 pm) at Pretoria
May 13: DC v DD (4 pm) at Durban
May 14: MI v RR (4 pm) at Durban; CSK v RCB (8 pm) at Durban
May 15: KXIP v DD (4 pm) at Kimberley
May 16: CSK v MI (4 pm) at Johannesburg; DC v KKR (8 pm) at Port Elizabeth
May 17: RR v DD (4 pm) at Kimberley; KXIP v DC (8 pm) at Johannesburg
May 18: CSK v KKR (4 pm) at Pretoria
May 19: DD v RCB (4 pm) at Johannesburg
May 20: CSK v KXIP (4 pm) at Durban; RR v KKR (8 pm) at Durban
May 21: DC v RCB (4 pm) at Pretoria; MI v DD (8 pm) at Pretoria
May 22: Semi Final 1 at Pretoria
May 23: Semi Final 2 at Johannesburg
May 24: Final at Johannesburg

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Woah, that is a crazy schedule. If you just follow one team's name through the list they're basically playing every other day, dashing randomly about the country.