• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I like the logic and with that, Tim McIntosh has done very poorly in two consecutive games so the chances of him scoring in the next game increases. Beware.
I actually had a lengthy debate with Ret about it once. He honestly believes that if you're flipping a coin and get two tails in a row, the chance of the third one being a tail is less than 50%. He fails to see that was has gone has gone and there's no cosmic evening out.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For there to be "evening out", the coin would have to 'know' what went before and adjust itself mid-air accordingly.....
Happens all the time. I don't hold with this uncertainty nonsense. I reckon Schrodinger had two boxes and an indeterminate number of cats.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Patel is penetrative. Had the pitch assisted him more and had Indians not been good players of spin bowling, he would have had a bagful of wickets.
Two too many ifs for my liking. But these flat pitches really do rather annoy me.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I have to say I wasn't really impressed with Patel, didn't see any turn from him and I don't like how flat he bowls. Was amazed at how little cricket he's played for NZ though, he seems to have been around for ages. I really liked O'Brien though, not the most talented quick bowler but boy does he try, I loved the way he was willing to try things because he knew he wouldn't be getting any assistance from the pitch. The wide of the crease stuff and short balls, much better than your equivalent English seamer who would bowl a reasonable line and length all day and then bitch about the pitch to the tabloids. He seems to have a real happy go lucky attitude, really refreshing. I liked his blog on cricinfo too, seemed very honest and self-aware for a modern player.

What do you guys think of Flynn moving up to open and maybe How or someone else at no.3? Mcintosh has got to go. How come Grant Elliott wasn't given a go after his spectacular Aussie ODI series? Neil Broom though not as successful seems the right age for a try, could form the basis of a long term line up with Flynn, Taylor, Guptill and Ryder.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Pitch too flat?

Definitely, the pitch did not offer much for the bowlers. The standard Test pitch should have an even contest between bat and ball. That being said, India's dropped catches cost them what could theoretically been a situation in which they could have bowled NZ out cheaply in the first innings. The batting was often irresponsible for both sides in the first innings. NZ amassed a massive total, but to say that Taylor and Franklin were not streaky would be being too kind. However, I think we can agree that a situation in which reasonable scores are achieved through common batsman error does not make for good viewing.

Mistake to enforce the follow-on?

I think it is irrelevant. It was a flat pitch, India pulled themselves together and looked capable of batting for as long as required.

Sehwag's innings - bad or just playing his natural game?

It was a flat pitch, he had a license to take it to the bowlers in the first innings. He does not have to account for the failings of the middle (and middle-lower especially) order. In the second innings, it became apparent that India were in a poor position and so he had no right to play such an irresponsible shot against Patel.

Yuvraj - **** and should be dropped, or needs more time?

In an emotive rant, I may say that Yuvraj needs to be dropped and sent back to domestic cricket, but tbh, he does enough to stay in the Test team and is deserving of an extended stint. His domestic record is fine, excluding Tests and through his ODI work, he deserves (not to say that he has earned, but he deserves...) to have that number six role until a prolonged period of failures.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Basically I concur with Heath, which I generally always do. I could be his parrot.
My parrots wouldn't be out of place in this thread. They're always fighting about nothing (or what I assume to be nothing as they could only be fighting over the choicest bit of seed or the best perch). They had a fight yesterday and Ambrose ended up with a bloody nose. Not good.

As I say, they'd fit in well with some of this thread.

(Ambrose is now having to wear a passport sized photo of "Runako Morton - Test Class" round his neck as Lara beat him in a fight)

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually had a lengthy debate with Ret about it once. He honestly believes that if you're flipping a coin and get two tails in a row, the chance of the third one being a tail is less than 50%. He fails to see that was has gone has gone and there's no cosmic evening out.
Really? Dammit, I wish I'd been there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Really? Dammit, I wish I'd been there.
It sounds like easy meat in theory, but you really didn't want to be there - his twisted logic was just too twisted to actually crack. I can't believe I wasted as much time on it as I did.. although I was at work at the time, so I guess that explains it..

ret

International Debutant
haha, so you guys took my theories seriously .... I don't know whether I had confused probability with law of averages back then :p

coming back to Ryder, very few have scored 3 consecutive 100s, so that will be something if Ryder achieves that. I remember Azhar has done that, don't recall anyone else