• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Nutter

U19 Debutant
NZ commentators need to STFU about Sehwag. Sehwag plays how Sehwag plays. Ross Taylor did some stupid things too in his innings when we were 3/23. Don't hear them going on about that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, did anyone see Viru in the changerooms? Feet up, relaxing.

Everything he does he looks arrogant :lol:

adharcric

International Coach
Were you upset with the way Sehwag batted in Chennai vs. England?

I think Cricinfo sums it up well:
"Critics will go after him for his shot selection, his supporters will say that's how he plays, why crib when he fails now and then."
No, because he was chasing a massive target in the fourth innings and that sort of knock was the only way India had a real shot at victory. Here, he's trying to avert an innings defeat and bat for a draw at best. Go ahead and play your natural game but you can't just turn a blind eye to the match situation. Instead, he plays a wild slog-sweep (after getting out to the same shot in the first innings) when batting for time is of the essence. Sehwag showed that he can play relatively risk-free cricket when appropriate in that 151 at Adelaide, so it's not like he's incapable of that.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Were you upset with the way Sehwag batted in Chennai vs. England?

I think Cricinfo sums it up well:
"Critics will go after him for his shot selection, his supporters will say that's how he plays, why crib when he fails now and then."
awta.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No, because he was chasing a massive target in the fourth innings and that sort of knock was the only way India had a real shot at victory. Here, he's trying to avert an innings defeat and bat for a draw at best. Go ahead and play your natural game but you can't just turn a blind eye to the match situation. Instead, he plays a wild slog-sweep (after getting out to the same shot in the first innings) when batting for time is of the essence. Sehwag showed that he can play relatively risk-free cricket when appropriate in that 151 at Adelaide, so it's not like he's incapable of that.
True, but had it not been for Sehwag's knock, India would have been playing for a draw at Chennai.

Basically Sehwag turned a situation where India needed to draw a match, to where India could win it. Now sure a win was even more unlikely here, but he's just doing what he always does.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I really take offence to a comment by a Kiwi commentator about Sehwag. When he threw his wicket away, someone said it's dumb. D-U-M-B. That was way out of line. Yes, that shot was inappropriate. Yes, he should have thought about the match situation. Yes, he should have showed some discretion. Yes, there was a lot more match play left. But dumb? As Arun Lal said, totally out of line.

Sehwag has an average over 50. He has several scores over 150, several over 200 and two over 300. You can't call him dumb! Honestly, I too hope he scores a 300 or more in the next Test match, just to show who's dumb!

Xuhaib

International Coach
Lol, did anyone see Viru in the changerooms? Feet up, relaxing.

Everything he does he looks arrogant :lol:
:laugh: Legend.

It's not like he's Afridi level inconsistent that people should slag him for his approach more often then not he gets you the score with this approach.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yes, that shot was inappropriate. Yes, he should have thought about the match situation. Yes, he should have showed some discretion. Yes, there was a lot more match play left.
Yeah, nothing dumb about playing a rash shot considering all that at all...

Xuhaib

International Coach
I really take offence to a comment by a Kiwi commentator about Sehwag. When he threw his wicket away, someone said it's dumb. D-U-M-B. That was way out of line. Yes, that shot was inappropriate. Yes, he should have thought about the match situation. Yes, he should have showed some discretion. Yes, there was a lot more match play left. But dumb? As Arun Lal said, totally out of line.

Sehwag has an average over 50. He has several scores over 150, several over 200 and two over 300. You can't call him dumb! Honestly, I too hope he scores a 300 or more in the next Test match, just to show who's dumb!
These Kiwi commentators are very annoying and bias its cringe worthy to listen to these chaps. I think it was Doull who said hopefully there will be no 5th day and black caps will finish the game tomorrow. Healy gets attacked for his Aussie cheerleading but these guys are equally as poor.

Last edited:

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
These Kiwi commentators are very annoying and bias its cringe worthy to listen to these chaps. I think it was Doull who said hopefully there will be no 5th day and black caps will finish the game tomorrow. Healy gets attacked for his Aussie cheerleading but these guys are equally as poor.
Its bound to happen after the drubbing in the odis and 1st test when newzealand are playing
well they are getting excited as was hussain in the 3rd day of the chennai test his comments-'I tell you this england attack is great the australians were here and they were
not able to get 20 indian wickets' and we know what happened.:laugh:

In the 1st innings we batted poorly throwing wickets ,we will have to play pretty badly again to lose on this belter.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Well, that was two (actually three) sweet days of NZ test cricket. Stoked I watched so much of it over the last two days, barring todays afternoon session. Really in with a (admittedly perhaps unlikely) chance of pasting India by an innings.

JBH001

International Regular

Haha, yeah. I think I have said as much before, although I think it a close run thing as to which bunch is worse.

JBH001

International Regular
Have to disagree with some of pro Sehwag comments here. That shot, in almost any situation was D-U-M-B (as the commentators rightly said). It was a daft slog when the situation required some sense with just about 30 minutes to stumps. Its fair enough if Sehwag wanted to be aggressive, and was unable to wait until the next day, but there was little preventing him hitting that ball through the off-side for six with a clean straight swing of the blade, as opposed to trying to hoick it over mid wicket and gifting his wicket away. Awful shot and another example of Indian complacence against second tier spinners coming back to bite them in the ass.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
If it was a NZ player it would also be called DUMB.
I don't know why anyone would take offence at comments made by commentators, calm down and just laugh.

It was a dumb shot, hardly inappropriate to call it as it is.

Having said that, the commentating was pretty horrible. Can't handle them going all gag-gah over the Black Caps, they should start playing dire quickly so things can go back to normal. Such bias pricks.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Agree with this (well, the annoying part, anyway) - Ian Smith is particularly dire, IMO.

Another problem with Healy, though, is that he talks rubbish far too often. Implying that Rohit Sharma et al could easily replace Sachin Tendulkar and comparing Ishant Sharma to Glenn McGrath is a touch too much, for mine.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Considering some of the abuse the Black Caps cop when they lose from our commentators, I'd call them emotional rather than biased.

But hey, deny Sehwag did something unintelligent by all means. Awesome batsman, but his style of play does not suit every situation.

Howsie

International Captain
I would hardly call the NZ commentators biased, I think they are just happy to see NZ doing well. And that shot from Sehwag was dumb, think about it.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Considering some of the abuse the Black Caps cop when they lose from our commentators, I'd call them emotional rather than biased.

But hey, deny Sehwag did something unintelligent by all means. Awesome batsman, but his style of play does not suit every situation.
Exactly.