• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo - "The heavens have opened and the scene is utterly Brummy. This is Birmingham, not Bridgetown - the clouds grey, the rain wet. You know the story. It's stop-start but it's been pre-tty, pre-tty, pre-tty heavy as Larry David might say."

:dry:

Seems like perfect conditions to ditch Batty as well. A chance missed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The 'logic' behind the England selection is utterly baffling. Play Harmison on flat, slow pitches, drop him when there's likely to be a bit of bounce.
I think Harmison is just the easy scapegoat whenever we lose a match lately. People lose sight of it because he's Durham's favourite son, but I think Scaly has a valid point about the way Harmison gets treated of late (though I don't think it's anything to do with a north-south divide, althoguh it is quite annoying when people try and pretend that such a thing doesn't exist in England).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think Harmison is just the easy scapegoat whenever we lose a match lately. People lose sight of it because he's Durham's favourite son, but I think Scaly has a valid point about the way Harmison gets treated of late (though I don't think it's anything to do with a north-south divide, althoguh it is quite annoying when people try and pretend that such a thing doesn't exist in England).
More annoying when people overstate it IMO.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Heh.

I find that when it comes to Harmison, I agree with Scaly more often than not, and always have done. He has one purpose in life, and that is to be a strike bowler. Bounce is pretty well his only weapon. As far as I'm concerned, you either play him when it suits his style or you don't play him at all - ever.

I like strike bowlers, always have done. Snow, Ward, Willis, Malcolm, Harmison - but you ought to give them the deck that suits. Harmison lacks the heart of the others though, so there might be other things going on behind the scenes. Perhaps he whinges too much.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh.

I find that when it comes to Harmison, I agree with Scaly more often than not, and always have done. He has one purpose in life, and that is to be a strike bowler. Bounce is pretty well his only weapon. As far as I'm concerned, you either play him when it suits his style or you don't play him at all - ever.

I like strike bowlers, always have done. Snow, Ward, Willis, Malcolm, Harmison - but you ought to give them the deck that suits. Harmison lacks the heart of the others though, so there might be other things going on behind the scenes. Perhaps he whinges too much.
The problem with only picking him on surfaces that suit is, 50% of pitches are predicted to have a bit of extra bounce for Harmy to exploit and only about 10% of pitches actually do.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
More annoying when people overstate it IMO.
I agree actually - it is mainly a media thing, and not surprising as the media are all absed in the south. I don't think it ever really has too much impact on selection.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Someone needs to make a final decision about this guy one way or the other. He plays one match, then is dropped and then plays again and is dropped again etc.

Again, as always, there is no consistency of selection.

Yep, spot on. He's hardly going to find any rhythm if he is in and out
England has to start looking beyond Andrew Flintoff and Harmison. Too much baggage of the past. Flintoff's performances since the Ashes 2005 have not been anywhere near World Class, and yet he is persisted with.

Drop Owaste Shah and bring in Ian Bell.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree actually - it is mainly a media thing, and not surprising as the media are all absed in the south. I don't think it ever really has too much impact on selection.
It won't have much impact if you have guys with the necessary character like Duncan Fletcher involved, but how often has England had proper strong, stubborn individuals like him picking the side?

With the selectors now they don't seem to have any character, conviction, consistency or pretty much anything useful.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
This actually looks a very good, hard, track, which leaves me even more baffled.

I can't think of anything else constructive to say myself, so here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head. I understand that it's being put forward as the new chairman of selectors.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Well of course it must have been bad eyesight ie something that couldn't be helped, it couldn't possibly be anyone in the WI camp's fault!!

Honestly Xav, I don't know when you're more one-eyed, when it's following the West Indies or Manchester United. And bearing in mind that this is coming from ME...
Did you miss the point of my statement? Guess you did. It was nothing to do with math. There were no calculations to be made. Dyson was just looking in the wrong column............Not sure what you're on about anyway. Have criticised the WI plenty.