• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Edwards must be first change then. Cos I'm sure one of them was Powell. Straight swap for position.
Edwards took new ball 1st test, 1st innings. 2nd test, 1st innings, 3rd test both innings, 4th test both innings (Powell opened instead of Taylor second innings but that was because of Taylor being off the field) and 5th test, both innings.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arjun said:
The batting will take care of itself, though the Kiwis have five arms to aim at the Indians, and with the batting strength they possess, the task is not too tough. Gambhir can turn the strike over time and again, and let Sehwag's bat do the talking. Dravid played himself into form in a first-class match in the lead up to this one, and Sachin may have recovered fully, on the back of that massive innings. Yuvraj is a dangerous player when he gets going, and can do what Ryder did for the Kiwis. The only suspect player here is Laxman, but the pitch is flat enough and the bowling may wear out by the time he's in. Getting the Kiwis out for a low score once again, however, will be a tough ask.
Why is Laxman suspect. He is all quality.
Because his quality has not yet translated into valuable knocks in swinging conditions, particularly in NZ, where his average is ****.
The bolded of Precambrian's post is what I strongly disagree with. Laxman has translated his quality into tremendous knocks in swinging conditions for sure where I am concerned. Any one can see it just by looking at his over all career stats away from home and in swinging conditions.

Precambrian

Banned
The bolded of Precambrian's post is what I strongly disagree with. Laxman has translated his quality into tremendous knocks in swinging conditions for sure where I am concerned. Any one can see it just by looking at his over all career stats away from home and in swinging conditions.
tell me one defining innings of him in "swinging" conditions.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No need. Look at his entire career, his career record in England, other swinging venues away from home.

Precambrian

Banned
99 for loss of 1 wicket is highest I can get you from Brisbane. Three figures is hardly a crucial factor. The crucial factor is whether he has made runs in swinging conditions which he has. He doesn't have the big 100s but the useful 50s which are not useless in terms of the importance in the game.
Sorry boss, I asked for a single innings match defining contribution in swinging conditions. 27 innings in the three most swing friendly country, and I failed to note one.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It was cruicial. But if it is touted as the best performance of his in such conditions, sorry, I disagree that he is a world class player in such conditions.
He showed his ability in swinging conditions where no other Indian batsman managed to score even a 60. Why can't you accept he can play well in swinging conditions. Baffling.

Precambrian

Banned
He showed his ability in swinging conditions where no other Indian batsman managed to score even a 60. Why can't you accept he can play well in swinging conditions. Baffling.
Simply because he has in all played just 1 good knock in 27 innings in such conditions?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Simply because he has in all played just 1 good knock in 27 innings in such conditions?
Haha. You were the one who asked for 1 inning, I gave you one. Now you complain it is only one. It is not that he has not encountered swing any where else or failed miserably in England, South Africa, Australia (where the ball does swing even except Brisbane).

Laxman is truly underrated by many fans.

Precambrian

Banned
Haha. You were the one who asked for 1 inning, I gave you one. Now you complain it is only one. It is not that he has not encountered swing any where else or failed miserably in England, South Africa, Australia (where the ball does swing even except Brisbane).

Laxman is truly underrated by many fans.
Sorry, you have not satisfying answered the original query. He does not have a single 3-digit score in such conditions, and his best perhaps is that 70 odd you said. That does not make him any underrated in my books.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tell me a single 3 digit score he has made in swinging conditions.
It is true that Laxman has not had great success in conditions where the ball swings in the air and moves off it too. The two countries where it is most prevalent as a condition are England and South Africa. Here is his record on his five tours (14 Tests) to these countries.

Code:
[B][SIZE="3"]Season/Versus	M	Inns	NO	50s100s	HS	Runs	 Avg[/SIZE][/B]

1996-1997 SAF   2	3	2	0	0	35no	40	40
2001-2002 SAF  	2	3	0	1	0	89	150	50
2002 ENG 	4	6	1	1	0	74	199	39.8
2006-2007 SAF   3	6	1	2	0	73	180	36
2007 ENG 	3	5	1	2	0	54	205	51.25
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]OVERALL RECORD	14	23	5	6	0	290	774	43[/COLOR][/B]
Its not a bad record if you just look at the average - 43 against a career average of 44 something. But its conspicuous by the missing century. In fact he really did not stand out in any of these series except, maybe, in the last tour to England. Its not surprising that Laxman should not have the big scores in such conditions. His very game is such that lateral movement, particularly late swing would trouble him. Its because of his being a free stroking player who plays the shot he wants to not because thats where that ball should, by the book, be hit. He is not going to leave a ball because it is swinging at the last minute. He has already made up his mind to play it and he will. The fact that he does not have great foot movement and does not hesitate hitting balls from the off stump and outside to mid wicket doesn't help. But thank God for that for Laxman wouldn't be Laxman if he played differently.

Who wants players like Vishwanath, Azharuddin and Laxman to bat like Gavaskar or Boycott? Our compulsive need to see our favourite stars averaging in the fifties (if not higher) is what makes us devalue their real worth - as artists who are to be cherished and not to be downgraded by breaking their art down to mere numbers. There will be others who will score the big hundreds in England for me Laxman's hundreds in Australia, West Indies and at home are good enough :)

PS Having said that, it sure is a record Laxman would want to set right although it to ask him to change his style of play at this late stage of his career is not realistic.

I did not include the last tour of New Zealand for that was something else. Those were not just wickets with movement - they really were substandards wickets.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sorry, you have not satisfying answered the original query. He does not have a single 3-digit score in such conditions, and his best perhaps is that 70 odd you said. That does not make him any underrated in my books.
That 73 > many test 100s.