• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Precambrian

Banned
Nah, missing the plot.

In New Zealand he has played just THREE matches and that too on those skewed bowling friendly wickets pre World Cup 2003.

In Asia he averages 48, same as his over all average. In England where conditions swing the most he averages 46. Don't see what Laxman has to prove to say he can play swing bowling because he has shown right through his career that he is a class act.
He is a class act. No doubt. But his play against swing in NZ has been circumspect, despite the small sample size available. I do hope he comes good. I really do.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He is a class act. No doubt. But his play against swing in NZ has been circumspect, despite the small sample size available. I do hope he comes good. I really do.
Those were the most bowler friendly wickets I have seen in my nearly 18 years of cricket watching. Judging he can't play in swinging conditions aptly based on that plus just those THREE matches when the entire sample size of his career is available is a huge stretch and utter stupidity.

Precambrian

Banned
Those were the most bowler friendly wickets I have seen in my nearly 18 years of cricket watching. Judging he can't play in swinging conditions aptly based on that plus just those THREE matches when the entire sample size of his career is available is a huge stretch and utter stupidity.
Why not? I said swinging conditions and NZ. And so far he has done nothing to make that claim redundant.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But I cannot deem any dismissal as unlucky as long as it is a valid one and a correct one. That includes even the "run out at bowlers end" of the non striker. Dismissals can be forced or unforced, but they have nothing to do with luck.
Utterly ridiculous :laugh: Last I'm saying on the matter, waste of time arguing against this sort of illogical nonsense:cursing:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why not? I said swinging conditions and NZ. And so far he has done nothing to make that claim redundant.
WHAT YOU SAID:

Because his quality has not yet translated into valuable knocks in swinging conditions, particularly in NZ, where his average is ****.
The first part of the sentence questions Laxman in swinging conditions. Arjun said L axman is suspect. I don't see how Laxman is suspect given how he has played his entire career despite 3 poor tests in bowler friendly minefield wickets. Why even bring his average in NZ into the picture given the series which had occured in 2002-03.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
From Cricinfo - Wish you were here

8-)

Really starting to get annoying.

Ntini + Steyn
Johnson + Siddle

Maybe a distant third?
Sharma bowled beautifully but Khan after his initial spell did his familiar routine of disappearing when the ball stops swinging. People find it hard to believe that his average is so ‘bad’ but it’s not too hard to understand why for he relies so heavily on favorable bowling conditions. I remember when he toured the Republic, made mincemeat of Smith with the new ball but after ten overs he was finished until the second new ball.

But in saying that I'll take both him and Sharma over Ntini and Steyn. Whilst House is the Australian opening bowler and his been pretty rancid so far.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sharma bowled beautifully but Khan after his initial spell did his familiar routine of disappearing when the ball stops swinging. People find it hard to believe that his average is so ‘bad’ but it’s not too hard to understand why for he relies so heavily on favorable bowling conditions. I remember when he toured the Republic, made mincemeat of Smith with the new ball but after ten overs he was finished until the second new ball.

But in saying that I'll take both him and Sharma over Ntini and Steyn. Whilst House is the Australian opening bowler and his been pretty rancid so far.
Khan's average post his return is not bad AFAIK. Some one can do a quick check up. I can't be bothered.

Last edited:

Evermind

International Debutant
Span Mat Inns Overs Mdns Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 5 10
unfiltered 2000-2009 63 115 2060.5 419 6777 199 5/29 9/134 34.05 3.28 62.1
filtered 2006-2009 23 43 828.4 169 2753 88 5/34 9/134 31.28 3.32 56.5

Meh.

Evermind

International Debutant
But in saying that I'll take both him and Sharma over Ntini and Steyn.
You'd take Khan and Sharma over the best bowler in the world and someone who averages way better than both Khan and Sharma?

Sure Ntini's not as effective as he used to be, but he's still about as good as Khan. And Steyn is in a completely different league.

99*

International Debutant
Anyone else read O'Brien's blog?

Even though I feel sorry for him I couldn't help but laugh.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched a few seconds of the highlights and saw Vettori get to his hundred

Who was it that let the ball bounce from the skied sweep shot?

Looked as if it could've been caught

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Span Mat Inns Overs Mdns Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 5 10
unfiltered 2000-2009 63 115 2060.5 419 6777 199 5/29 9/134 34.05 3.28 62.1
filtered 2006-2009 23 43 828.4 169 2753 88 5/34 9/134 31.28 3.32 56.5

Meh.
Thanks. Looks like I was wrong. A few of those series have been high scoring but still 31 is not that great.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steyn and Ntini definitely.

But Johnners and Siddle better than Sharma - Khan? Don't think so.

They are second best opening pair of bowlers in the world today.
As TT Boy pointed out, Johnson and Siddle don't actually exist as a new ball pair, but if they did, I'd definitely have Ntini and Steyn at third. Not sure who'd be first out of Australia and India though, probably the Indians, if all we're talking about is actually bowling with the new ball rather than over the whole game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Best new ball Test bowlers in the world:

Steyn
Johnson (Lee)
Sharma
Edwards
Anderson
Khan
Ntini

I'd say a fully fit on form Lee would give Australia the best opening pair (possibly inc. Clark too)
Then I'd say SA and Ind are about equal.

We should get O'Brien to open the bowling, would do better than Martin.