• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

pskov

International 12th Man
I know, but i'm not sure anyone would be too comfortable with their jaw exposed - very dangerous.
Generally it just meant batsmen didn't hook as much as they do in today's game. One reason why Viv was seen as such unique talent because he'd hook anything. Of course he didn't have to face his own attack which may have helped. :p

Evermind

International Debutant

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, hopefully big fines/bans for all three.

Will be interesting to see if the umpires get hauled before the match referee to explain their diabolical performance though!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah, hopefully big fines/bans for all three.

Will be interesting to see if the umpires get hauled before the match referee to explain their diabolical performance though!
Exactly.. Why should players get done for over appealing when decisions are given on a random basis? I'd appeal all the time

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Broad and Panesar have a history of this, and Amjad doesn't seem to be in the right place mentally either.

Broad once excessively appealed for an LBW when it struck the bat very clearly and was nowhere near the pad, while Panesar appeals for every other damn delivery, whether or not it's anywhere near out. A pair of clowns.
Meh, they were just frustrated. I think Panesar should get fined, perhaps. But for Broad there was an enormous nick and why the umpire didn't give it out straight after the appeal but rather wait an absolute age I don't know. It was almost as if he was trying to make them over-appeal. And hopefully Khan gets nothing too harsh as it is his debut.

Craig

World Traveller
God bless Brendan Nash. It took balls to leave Queensland and go to the West Indies to have any chance of playing Tests, and he got the runs on the board and now he has a maiden Test ton. He needed a score and that is what he got. I salute you Mr Nash.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God bless Brendan Nash. It took balls to leave Queensland and go to the West Indies to have any chance of playing Tests, and he got the runs on the board and now he has a maiden Test ton. He needed a score and that is what he got. I salute you Mr Nash.
Agreed, strikes me as a test cricketer through & through in the little I've seen of him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The thought of Amjad playing an ODI would be hilarious if it wasn't so mind-numbingly stupid.

As for Sidebottom he must regret coming on the tour at all. If he'd stayed at home at got 100% fit, he'd be in pole position for the home series. As things stand now, he looks like an ex-test player.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Broad and Panesar have a history of this, and Amjad doesn't seem to be in the right place mentally either.

Broad once excessively appealed for an LBW when it struck the bat very clearly and was nowhere near the pad, while Panesar appeals for every other damn delivery, whether or not it's anywhere near out. A pair of clowns.
Ludicrously harsh on Broad on the basis of one mess-up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly.. Why should players get done for over appealing when decisions are given on a random basis? I'd appeal all the time
Because over-appealing is banned by the rules, it's something that's expected to be cut-out to a point of zero. Bad decisions, everyone knows you're never going to get close to that.

Nonetheless, clearly there should be some method of Umpire evaluating with the substandard performances resulting in being dropped from Elite Panels et al.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As for Sidebottom he must regret coming on the tour at all. If he'd stayed at home at got 100% fit, he'd be in pole position for the home series. As things stand now, he looks like an ex-test player.
I dunno... I think if Sidebottom had missed this tour, there'd have been some very serious questions asked about his fitness. He's struggled with lack of it regularly throughout the last year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not actually sure he even had that much of an eye on playing Tests when making the move TBH, think he just decided he wanted a change because a) he'd lost his Queensland contract and at 29 years old was clearly not going to get another one and b) he holidayed in the Caribbean in early-2007 and liked the place, and given his ancestry could in some way call it home.

Had he not gone to play in Jamaica his choices were: a) play Brisbane grade cricket for the rest of his career or b) hope another state with weaker batting came a-calling.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not actually sure he even had that much of an eye on playing Tests when making the move TBH, think he just decided he wanted a change because a) he'd lost his Queensland contract and at 29 years old was clearly not going to get another one and b) he holidayed in the Caribbean in early-2007 and liked the place, and given his ancestry could in some way call it home.

Had he not gone to play in Jamaica his choices were: a) play Brisbane grade cricket for the rest of his career or b) hope another state with weaker batting came a-calling.
Option b was very unlikely to happen because he players with a fc batting average of 30 arent rated very highly

Anyway, good luck to him

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I did very seriously consider putting (and this was a pretty faint hope) attached to option b) FTR.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Panesar has been fined 25% and Khan has a reprimand for over-appealing.

Broad has been cleared, although apparently he was up on a charge of detrimental comment about the match officials in some interview he gave rather than any on-field issues.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Panesar's fine is long overdue. His appeals are embarassing. Anyone spot the one on Sunday night where Chanders padded the ball away about a foot outside off and Monty went up in arms. Botham was spewing.