• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's no reason to give an obvious out n\o or vice-versa. But IMO, batsmen should get the benefit of the doubt; bowlers when bowling at tailenders should get it. Simple as. I don't watch cricket to see tailenders hanging-around or slogging runs; I watch it to watch batsmen batting. Always happy to see tailenders disposed of quickly.
I don't think umpires should give decisions based on what people want to see. Besides, what constitutes a tail-ender? Mitchell Johnson batting at nine?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think umpires should give decisions based on what people want to see.
All about cricket should be on what people want to see.

Just depends on who the people you're considering are - whether they're the rabble or the true conniousseur.
Besides, what constitutes a tail-ender? Mitchell Johnson batting at nine?
Most competent judges of cricket can tell what's a decent-ish batsman and what's a not-very-good one. And certainly what's a completely hopeless one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He could well get out very soon, but even if he does, Strauss already looks far better in these couple of overs than I've ever seen him look before when chasing quick runs is the aim.

And now's the time for some real cat-and-mouse stuff. If this was a series decider rather than England trying almost certainly forlornly to level it up, this'd be absolutely riveting stuff.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All about cricket should be on what people want to see.

Just depends on who the people you're considering are - whether they're the rabble or the true conniousseur.

Most competent judges of cricket can tell what's a decent-ish batsman and what's a not-very-good one. And certainly what's a completely hopeless one.
Haha, nah, that's ridiculous on both counts. Otherwise here we'd have had a case of, "well Chanderpaul missed it... however, the match will still be alive if he's out now. *raises finger*"

And on the other idea we could have an argument between on-field umpires on the quality of a player. Before referring it to the third umpire who uses video evidence to confirm that, yes, Daren Powell is indeed **** and therefore is out.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So if we really do believe that England are going to try and set a target, when's the estimated time of declaration?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, nah, that's ridiculous on both counts. Otherwise here we'd have had a case of, "well Chanderpaul missed it... however, the match will still be alive if he's out now. *raises finger*"
I don't think so TBH. No-one wants to see obvious wrong decisions given for a moral obligation.
And on the other idea we could have an argument between on-field umpires on the quality of a player. Before referring it to the third umpire who uses video evidence to confirm that, yes, Daren Powell is indeed **** and therefore is out.
Hmm, I think not TBH.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member

:wub: