• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Its the first time I've really watched him bowl and taken note of him. Pretty indifferent start TBH.
First Over:
89.7 mph (big no ball, and he fell over)
86.3 mph (smaller no ball)
85.6 mph
86.5 mph
88.6 mph (another no ball)
85.2 mph
86.0 mph
85.2 mph
86.0 mph

First impression is that his action doesn't look right, no matter what Michael Holding says. A bit like James Kirtley perhaps?
Agreed that his action looks dodgy. I suspect it may actually be legit, but he rotates his arm during his delivery which gives the impression of straightening when viewed from behind.
Something I have noticed is that the position from the load up is a highly bent arm. When or whether this straightens is the issue. I do wonder what the laws on the timing of straightening are.

Thanks. I have not seen him for a while but there can be no way he is one of the top ten bowlers in England
From first impression, I'd have to agree, but England are severely lacking on genuinely proven quick bowling talent. I may have favoured Joseph had he performed better in his two WI domestic games. Sky Sports were noting that a metronome may be preferrable on such an unresponsive surface and this could have been where Davies would have factored in.

BTW, that last no-ball of Amjads was 92.8 mph so at least he's quick, even if if can't keep his front foot behind the line or bowl straight.

EDIT: No ball before last then.
First no ball of this over read 92.9mph =O That last one was just a shocker though, read over 90mph, but was short and wide down the leg side. Not been massively impressed, good pace though.
Meh, no ball pace means nothing to me, especially since he didn't register a legal delivery at over 87mph, from my count.

With the kind of action that AK has, Id be very surprised if he manages to bowl 2 balls on the same spot. His head position at delivery point is facing down and its hardly surprising that he is having problems with his accuracy. I can see why England management rate him, because he bowls off cutters at a fairly decent pace, and I wouldnt be surprised if he can get the ball to reverse swing, but at the moment he looks more like Sajid Mahmood than anything else.
It is highly interesting. The head going directly down (if you think about it, it can't really go down at an angle) means that he may have problems bowling to left handed batsmen but may bowl far better to right handers.

Who's this Amraj Khan fella Tony Cozier keeps going on about?
Lol, that first sentence was gold. Something along the lines of: "Chris Broad to open the bowling, Amraj Khan will have to wait". At first, I thought he said Manraj, I got quite excited.

Mudhsuden is back!
And badder than ever!

BTW, I see a lot of Shane Watson in Amjad Khan's action, with the exception of the aforementioned 'straightening'/'bending'.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
My guess is that Smith won't be on the return tour to England. Figuring:

Gayle
Barath
Richards/Darren Bravo
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Nash
Ramdin
Hinds
Taylor
Edwards
Baker
Sammy/Rampaul
Benn/Miller/Jaggernauth/Shane Shillingford/Odean Brown*

* Any combination involving two inclusive of one of the two being Benn or Miller.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well you can't blame a quick bowler for trying to bowl quick.

It's his confidence and the straightness of his arm that I'm worried about
Surely no one in this day and age could get to test level without their action having been cleared well beforehand? :ph34r:

Jigga988

State 12th Man
My guess is that Smith won't be on the return tour to England. Figuring:

Gayle
Barath
Richards/Darren Bravo
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Nash
Ramdin
Hinds
Taylor
Edwards
Baker
Sammy/Rampaul
Benn/Miller/Jaggernauth/Shane Shillingford/Odean Brown*

* Any combination involving two inclusive of one of the two being Benn or Miller.
Rempaul has done nothing to warrent selection and thus shouldn't really be considered but tbh, dont have much better...we have Lionel Baker, do we really need Darren Sammy, would be more tempted to throw in Roach more as a last resort than anything

can't really comment on spinners, they all are pretty non-existant in the Windies minds atm will definitely be Benn though, got dropped here purely because Taylor got injured and nothing of this was down to what the selectors thought of his performances or his skill levels.

Would probobly hold off Darren Bravo though I would really love to see him bat and I think we need him in the middle order. Do not want to see Barath any where near the team for England for reasons eluded to in his own thread, though it's probable he will be in the team... If Hinds looks as bad as he had done in his last innings in this one he is under some seriouis pressure for that spot and you could easily see Simmons come in...

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Surely no one in this day and age could get to test level without their action having been cleared well beforehand? :ph34r:
The guy's action is totally fine, don't see what all the fuss is about tbh, Mikey Holding actually said that you can't fault his action... conclusive enough?

All he does is **** his wrist upon release which is actually a good thing for the bowler and at point of delivery his arm is straight

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England should prepare a load of traditional green seamers on the return leg in retaliation - bring Mark Davies in, he'll basically bowl WI out for under 200 single-handed every innings, pick Sidebottom and Flintoff and have the rest batsmen. Should win each Test inside two days no bother.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Rempaul has done nothing to warrent selection and thus shouldn't really be considered but tbh, dont have much better...we have Lionel Baker, do we really need Darren Sammy, would be more tempted to throw in Roach more as a last resort than anything

can't really comment on spinners, they all are pretty non-existant in the Windies minds atm will definitely be Benn though, got dropped here purely because Taylor got injured and nothing of this was down to what the selectors thought of his performances or his skill levels.

Would probobly hold off Darren Bravo though I would really love to see him bat and I think we need him in the middle order. Do not want to see Barath any where near the team for England for reasons eluded to in his own thread, though it's probable he will be in the team... If Hinds looks as bad as he had done in his last innings in this one he is under some seriouis pressure for that spot and you could easily see Simmons come in...
Never said Bravo and Barath would be in contention for being played. Just bringing them to gain exposure to foreign conditions.
Benn is no definite. Roach hasn't been lighting it up at all. Rampaul has done well so far in the matches he's played.Most wickets

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Never said Bravo and Barath would be in contention for being played. Just bringing them to gain exposure to foreign conditions.
Benn is no definite. Roach hasn't been lighting it up at all. Rampaul has done well so far in the matches he's played.Most wickets
Fair enough, had no idea Rampaul had took that many wickets, after seeing that would have him ahead of Roach just think Roach adds something different to the team, though I am slightly frightened that he'd turn out like Amjad, they're quite similar

Reckon Benn is a definite though, if Windies didn't drop him for that first game in this seriesthen they definitely wont drop him for the one coming up, there's been talk of an extended run which is really the holy grail for Windies spinners... Only reason he wouldn't play is if Windies come in with two seemers.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Amjad = One test wonder. Shocking standard of cricket going on. This series deserves nothing more then to finish with a Gayle 200/bore draw.

Last edited: