• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
That's the thing, there are, but they're not eligible. Guys like Corey Collymore and Pedro Collins signed Kolpak contracts and then Tino Best (who still bowls at over 90mph apparently) signed with the ICL, so the BCCI would just moan if he was selected. The rest of the guys that could be considered are either too young, or been injured. Guys like Kemar Roach or Ravi Rampaul. Then they're missing Dwayne Bravo as well of course.
How young is too young? 24 with 30 ODIs and 30 first-class games in the bag?

I admit this test might be a bit soon after injury for Ravi, but youth isn't an issue in his case. Gavin Tonge is another option, particularly as he's fresh from routing Jamaica.

My choice though, as stated before, would be Darren Sammy. You know pretty much what you'll get with Sammy. An enthusiastic, committed cricket who offers something with bat, ball and in the field. Probably not a long term option as a frontline seamer, but a better cricketer than Daren Powell.

Martin1

Cricket Spectator
The pitch looks extremely slow and low. Even if the ball does turn it will be so slow that good players of spin like Chanderpaul and Sarwan will be able to adjust really easily. I know its early days but it could be a very boring game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I admit this test might be a bit soon after injury for Ravi, but youth isn't an issue in his case. Gavin Tonge is another option, particularly as he's fresh from routing Jamaica.

My choice though, as stated before, would be Darren Sammy. You know pretty much what you'll get with Sammy. An enthusiastic, committed cricket who offers something with bat, ball and in the field. Probably not a long term option as a frontline seamer, but a better cricketer than Daren Powell.
Rampaul is such a strange case. Been around forever and a day, but still only 24.

BTW would also quite like to see Sammy and think he's probably a better Test bowler than Daren Powell. And he can bat a bit too.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater

Sammy hasn't done much this season though. From what I've seen it's Pascal, Tonge and Rampaul who might be up for selection. McClean's polayed too few games. Sammy could push himself in there with a few good performances to close out the season.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The pitch looks extremely slow and low. Even if the ball does turn it will be so slow that good players of spin like Chanderpaul and Sarwan will be able to adjust really easily. I know its early days but it could be a very boring game.
Sounds familiar. Kensington Oval was precisely that.

On the other hand, we've just seen the first signs of unevenness. Hopefully from England's POV that'll increase.

Shah edges one that doesn't carry.

King Pietersen

International Captain

Nah, I meant Kemar Roach is too young, and Rampaul has had an injury (iirc). Rampaul's got a decent record, and once fit he should definitely be considered. I don't really see Lionel Baker as ever being genuinely threatening, or a wicket-taker at Test level. He only just manages to get wickets at FC level, his record was very poor until this season.

I agree about Tonge as well, has performed well this year in the 4 Day competition, is the fast bowler with the best record in 4 day cricket this year. The domestic competition seems to be almost completely dominated by spin, there's only 2 fast bowlers in the top 10 as far as wickets taken are concered in the 4 day competition this year, those being Tonge and Sammy. A hell of alot of leg break bowlers in the top 10.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
We should judge the selections after the match.
Wouldn't that be a bit too easy and much less fun?

If we're not here to debate what is, at best, a perplexing selection then I'm obviously confused as to the purpose of a "cricket chat" discussion forum. But then I am easily confused.

By the way, Cricinfo reports that Powell has now bowled ANOTHER good ball. That's 2 out of 24 now. Does this represent progress (and that's not quite a rhetorical question)?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We should judge the selections after the match.
Don't agree with that TBH. Anyone can be wise after the event. Personally, I don't think it's crucifix-worthy, especially if this
Benn dropped for disciplinary reasons another rumour. Was right with the first one.
is true. If you're 1-0 up and haven't won a series for yonks (and against this oppo for 11 years) it's forgiveable to be incredibly keen to do all you possibly can to eliminate the chance of defeat in the last Test of the series.

But there's no way you can say "if West Indies get the draw it was good selection, if England force the win anyway it was bad selection". That depends on the players, not the selectors.

I can't honestly say I think I'd not pick seven batsman plus wicketkeeper-batsman in the situation West Indies found themselves in this morning. Taylor's injury has obviously forced one hand, and it's possible Benn's indiscipline has forced another. I'd only pick Lionel Baker in extreme circumstances - he's clearly not that good - and obviously Daren Powell's retention in a three-man attack will always raise questions.

Yet the three-man attack in itself isn't something I'd neccessarily be criticising. To some extent, it's understandable. But it's not guaranteed to work. It's a risk that can be adjudged to be worth taking or not, but you should do the judgement before the outcome has become clear, not after.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Sammy hasn't done much this season though. From what I've seen it's Pascal, Tonge and Rampaul who might be up for selection. McClean's polayed too few games. Sammy could push himself in there with a few good performances to close out the season.
Why does Sammy, who incidentally has taken 21 wkts @ 22.71 this season together with a handy 285 runs @ 28.5, have to "do much" to replace someone who does virtually nothing?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does anyone know if this leg spinner that England have got is any good? I have heard lots of good things.
Adil Rashid? Truth is, IMO, no-one knows how good he is yet. My bet is "not that good yet", because his figures for Yorkshire have been unimpressive. However, he could, conceivably, have come on leaps-and-bounds in the last few months. But that's not, I don't think, very likely.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, this is a terrible West Indian attack. Only 3 (real) bowlers, 1 is decent, 1 is rank and the other is a newbie. Good job they don't need 20 wickets...

Martin1

Cricket Spectator
Adil Rashid? Truth is, IMO, no-one knows how good he is yet. My bet is "not that good yet", because his figures for Yorkshire have been unimpressive. However, he could, conceivably, have come on leaps-and-bounds in the last few months. But that's not, I don't think, very likely.
Was Ian Salisbury the last so called leg spinner England played?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Salisbury's played more recently than Schofield. And Salisbury was\is a better bowler than Schofield in his sleep. Schofield was never much good; Salisbury was for quite a few years an excellent domestic bowler whose method was simply completely ineffective at Test level. Both of them spun it plenty, the trouble was line in Salisbury's case (too wide) and length in Schofield's (all over the place).

And FFS, Owais, learn to judge a run!