• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just seen the two teams. Serious :wacko: stuff there.

Oh well, extreme times call for extreme measures.

As I said yesterday, I don't think MSP or Amjad Khan are likely to offer that much. But you have to pick five bowlers in the situation England are in really. The trouble is, there just aren't any bowlers good enough currently.

BTW, I always thought Joey Carew was white. Another :wacko: there.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Really defensive selection from the West Indies. Dropping Benn for a batsman would have been fair enough if Taylor was playing but they've basically gone into the game with one proper bowler now.
Yep, I’ll get on record early on as being thoroughly disheartened by this selection. If you pick a team to draw a test match at best, the more likely result – in my view – is a defeat.

The mindset will just be all wrong from the start.

Batsmen will look to occupy the crease rather than score runs and put pressure on the bowlers, and I’m sure we’ll have Gayle and Hinds operating to defensive fields within an hour or so.

I understand that – logistically – it’s difficult for West Indies to draft a bowler in from outside the squad at short notice (that’s assuming Taylor was ruled out at the last minute), but surely they have to pick Benn. Ok, he’s done very little (in soul-destroying bowling conditions) since Jamaica, but he’s a frontline spin bowler who contributed significantly to winning a test match earlier in the series. Given that only one of the two other bowlers who’ve looked dangerous in the series is fit, the decision seems even more irrational. If you’re not going to pick a team to take 20 wickets, why not take things to their logical conclusion and pick 11 batsmen?

Let’s hope I’m made to look an idiot when Ryan Hinds turns in a match-winning all-round performance or Lendl Simmons comes on as first change and makes it talk.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
1.1 Powell to Strauss, FOUR, short and wide
1.6 Powell to Strauss, FOUR, short and wide
3.6 Powell to Cook, FOUR, short and wide again

This numpty’s continued selection, even considering the injury to Taylor, really is an embarrassment.

Are there really, REALLY, no better pace bowlers in the Caribbean than Daren Powell (other than Taylor and Edwards)?

(EDIT: another opportunity for me to be made to look foolish - come on Daren, you can do it!)

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
That's the thing, there are, but they're not eligible. Guys like Corey Collymore and Pedro Collins signed Kolpak contracts and then Tino Best (who still bowls at over 90mph apparently) signed with the ICL, so the BCCI would just moan if he was selected. The rest of the guys that could be considered are either too young, or been injured. Guys like Kemar Roach or Ravi Rampaul. Then they're missing Dwayne Bravo as well of course.

Time for Shah to score a hundred now.

Martin1

Cricket Spectator
I would be permanently on the edge of my seat watching Shah batting if I was Pietersen. How can you move around so much and expect to be able to hit the thing?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
1.1 Powell to Strauss, FOUR, short and wide
1.6 Powell to Strauss, FOUR, short and wide
3.6 Powell to Cook, FOUR, short and wide again

This numpty’s continued selection, even considering the injury to Taylor, really is an embarrassment.

Are there really, REALLY, no better pace bowlers in the Caribbean than Daren Powell (other than Taylor and Edwards)?

(EDIT: another opportunity for me to be made to look foolish - come on Daren, you can do it!)
7.5 Powell to Cook, OUT, full length, just outside off, and a feathered edge through to the keeper! That's a lovely delivery, just leaving the batsman, and it's the breakthrough that West Indies desperately needed!

Attaboy Daren! I fully expect him to rip through the rest of this paper thin batting order now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
early impressions of the pitch guys?
Exceptionally slow and low, but there is some seam. Obviously we don't know yet whether it's going to turn.

The ball is swinging too. Yes, it's currently near brand-new, but Mikey reckons you get more swing here in T&T than elsewhere in the Carib, so we might continue to see it for a bit longer than we have previously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, I see. Well I'd think the whole team would be anxious to see him succeed TBH, but maybe.

BTW anyone else think Lionel Baker is almost (almost) a carbon-copy of Corey Collymore?