• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Woodster

International Captain
He'd already made his choice to retire from Test cricket before he went the ICL route though, that's the thing so many people seem to gloss-over. It is a bit of a shame he's not been playing ODIs for the past year-and-a-bit, but even so, it doesn't bother me massively, as he'd have been very unlikely to have played in the 2010/11 World Cup.
I appreciate that, but a player of his quality should be gracing the international stage in some format, albeit just in ODI's.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Now that is a WTF-ish statement. Swing has nothing to do with the pitch whatsoever (it's completely reliant on the ball) and rather takes the pitch out of the equation.
Interestingly enough, I read a little while back and saw on a TV show (one of those lunch break specials, or perhaps an MCC masterclass video) that there is a theory that swing could be partially reliant on a layer of water vapour which lies above the pitch. Presumably, this would be swing after pitching, but is an important point nonetheless.

Woodster

International Captain
Swing is such a fickle thing, and at times there seems no logical explanation as why to the ball begins swinging, or sometimes doesn't swing, other times more than normal. There are a number of contributory factors that all need to come together. I heard about the water vapour above the pitch also.

Weather conditions, state of the ball, atmosphere, wrist position, are a few of the factors affecting swing.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Swing is such a fickle thing, and at times there seems no logical explanation as why to the ball begins swinging, or sometimes doesn't swing, other times more than normal. There are a number of contributory factors that all need to come together. I heard about the water vapour above the pitch also.

Weather conditions, state of the ball, atmosphere, wrist position, are a few of the factors affecting swing.
Bowling action too. Many attribute such swing to manipulation of wrist position but I have a video and will email you a few snaps, if you wish, of deliberately closing off my action in order to swing it in to the right hander (I am left arm over), having my wrist still face the outswing position and the ball swing in.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Microturbulence.

In dry, warm conditions, air currents (microturbulence) rise from the surface and disturb the atmosphere, disrupting swing. In overcast or damp weather this turbulence stops, presenting a clean atmosphere and allowing the swing to occur.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Microturbulence.

In dry, warm conditions, air currents (microturbulence) rise from the surface and disturb the atmosphere, disrupting swing. In overcast or damp weather this turbulence stops, presenting a clean atmosphere and allowing the swing to occur.
Thanks for that Einstein:ph34r:

Honestly though, thanks a lot, I am quite fascinated in such stuff.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
2004 - 50 wickets @ 18.76
2005 - 49 wickets @ 16.53
2006 - only played one game and got injured
2007 - 34 wickets @ 24.23
2008 - 41 wickets @ 14.63

Those are ridiculous looking stats to never get a look in with. I've never actually seen him bowl so I don't bang on about it, but surely he's worth a go on figures alone.

The fact that he seems to get injured so regularly probably counts against him and that's fair enough I guess, but anyone who racks up those sort of figures deserves better than "WTF, Hahahaha".
God damnnnnnnnn, look at those numbers.

I actually have seen him bowl many times. He is your typical English swing bowler that would get smoked on a flat deck.

With Jimmy, Sidebottom (likely to get his fitness back soon) & Hoggard around going down to him really is out of the questionf for me. But if they picked Pattinson ya never know....

One thing we should look at with those figures is which years which divison 1 or 2...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually have seen him bowl many times. He is your typical English swing bowler that would get smoked on a flat deck.
Has appeared more of a seam/accuracy than swing bowler on the few occasions I have watched him bowl but I could be mistaken.

Woodster

International Captain
Bowling action too. Many attribute such swing to manipulation of wrist position but I have a video and will email you a few snaps, if you wish, of deliberately closing off my action in order to swing it in to the right hander (I am left arm over), having my wrist still face the outswing position and the ball swing in.
Yes if you could e-mail me those, just so I can get a full picture on how this was attained. I do think certain actions are more prone to swinging the ball in certain directions, but I believe the position of the wrist crucial in swinging it the other way, with orthodox swing.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
As an England fan and a certified pessimist (two natural bedfellows!) I really cannot see when the next test series victory is going to materialise..

Once we've lost the current rubber, we have a return in Blighty with one test at Lords and one at Chester-le-Street. Let's be honest, the Lords pitch (even early in the season) has been as flat as a shirt front for some years.. indeed England haven't won the first test of a series there since Bangladesh in 2005, and an arguably weaker West Indies earned a comfortable enough draw at 'the home of cricket' back in 2007.

So, it will all depend upon what we get at Durham. If England don't win this match, then realistically with Australia home and South Africa away it will be 2010 before we have a genuine chance of a series win, with the visit of Bangladesh.

ozone

First Class Debutant
As an England fan and a certified pessimist (two natural bedfellows!) I really cannot see when the next test series victory is going to materialise..

Once we've lost the current rubber, we have a return in Blighty with one test at Lords and one at Chester-le-Street. Let's be honest, the Lords pitch (even early in the season) has been as flat as a shirt front for some years.. indeed England haven't won the first test of a series there since Bangladesh in 2005, and an arguably weaker West Indies earned a comfortable enough draw at 'the home of cricket' back in 2007.

So, it will all depend upon what we get at Durham. If England don't win this match, then realistically with Australia home and South Africa away it will be 2010 before we have a genuine chance of a series win, with the visit of Bangladesh.
Gees, you weren't lieing about being a pessimist.

Woodster

International Captain
Just to touch on the Batty selection. I think once Batty had been selected for England Lions, and Patel's consequent de-selection, that the Worcester spinner is the only viable option. He has been preparing for, and playing, in competitive cricket recently, at a decent standard, surely England would not consider another English spinner with only some indoor nets behind him.

The debate cannot be his call-up to the national side, but whether he should have been selected for England Lions in the first place ?

It is clear we need a spinner for the ODI's, should we not have required one, I would have hoped a certain Graham Napier might have received a phone call.

Woodster

International Captain
A realist though surely? :ph34r:
A series at home to WI at the start of our season surely represents a good chance for a series victory. They have played very well in this series so far, and they are developing as a team, however, the green pitches in early season England represent a much tougher assignment for their batsmen (except Shiv) than what they are currently batting on.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes if you could e-mail me those, just so I can get a full picture on how this was attained. I do think certain actions are more prone to swinging the ball in certain directions, but I believe the position of the wrist crucial in swinging it the other way, with orthodox swing.
Whats the address?

ozone

First Class Debutant
A realist though surely? :ph34r:
Even being pessimistic, I can't see us losing to the WI at home and we'll prepare results pitches so no money on the draw. Although that said I couldn't see us losing to WI away either. Despite how bad we've been, the Ashes isn't a lost cause yet either, the Aussies aren't the world beaters they were, although I am struggling to see the how we can win in SA.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Why not? :huh:

You rarely see fielders standing around with nothing to do for the duration of a 50-over game and 1s could easily be turned into 2s frequently over the course of the innings.
Once maybe twice a game, but not 15-20 times.

Good fielding is important but its run saving values are often overstated, unless regarding the old days of having an 8 foot tall fast bowler patrol the boundary and giving up 4s.

Patel would not be a boundary rider. He would be at cover, midwicket, mid on, mid off, square leg etc. He isnt going to cost many runs anywhere. It just doesnt happen like people think.

A guy like Jonty Rhodes lifted his team and gave his bowlers confidence and inspiration but he never saved 20 runs a game like some people used to suggest. It just wasnt true.