• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Very different having a low economy rate as the best bowler of your side, who has been leading the attack, to the bloke who is the fourth or fifth bowler in the side.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bracken didn't play the last Shield game; he's presumed injured (even though there's some evidence to suggest he actually isn't).
Seen, well thats the only good excuse those selectors could have for not picking him.

But I'm fed up with them cats already yo, they should be sent to guillotine already dawg...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bracken didn't play the last Shield game; he's presumed injured (even though there's some evidence to suggest he actually isn't).
I read in some article about David Warner that Bracken was back in the team this week after missing the last match for personal/family reasons.

Briony

International Debutant
Wouldn't have Morkel in there, the seam cupboard isn't that bare and why do we need an Andrew McDonald anyway? An ODI player at best is Albie.. Drop Morne to 11 and hopefully he'll be hurt enough to knuckle down with his batting

Looked pretty good in the ODIs, so you're being harsh to say at best. He won them a couple of games. He's not dissimlar to McDonald who did a good restricting job with the ball for us. McGain would have struggled to be as tight and who knows if he would have taken wickets. The number of injuries to bowlers is astounding. Morne should drop to #11, he looks like he can't handle a bat and he's not a thinker with bat or ball.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Looked pretty good in the ODIs, so you're being harsh to say at best. He won them a couple of games. He's not dissimlar to McDonald who did a good restricting job with the ball for us. McGain would have struggled to be as tight and who knows if he would have taken wickets. The number of injuries to bowlers is astounding. Morne should drop to #11, he looks like he can't handle a bat and he's not a thinker with bat or ball.
I think he can handle a bat, IE he has the talent to contribute, not saying majorly, but to contribute.. But he just totally lacks the discipline, kind of like a Darren Gough with the bat I think

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I read in some article about David Warner that Bracken was back in the team this week after missing the last match for personal/family reasons.
Haha, so now I've heard that, injury, him not being able to get to the ground and the obvious. So frustrating.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fail to see how that's relevant.
We need them to take wickets

Imagine a bowling lineup of Johnson, Magoffin, Geeves, McDonald and North

On paper, that's the worst attack I can recall

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just refusing to accept that Siddle won't be fit for the second test atm, personally...
This. Hoping it's coming good in time for the game, same with Hilfenhaus. I've already assumed Bollinger no chance to play.

pup11

International Coach
This. Hoping it's coming good in time for the game, same with Hilfenhaus. I've already assumed Bollinger no chance to play.
Yeah, would really be a huge blow if either Hilfenhaus or Siddle miss out on the next game, would just kind of kill any momentum the Australian team gained through the win in the 1st test.

Though, I am not really surprised that the Aussie quicks are feeling sore after all the overs they bowled in the 1st test.

Just goes onto further emphasize the fact, that how silly it was to go in with just 3 genuine bowlers for the 1st test, and especially given the fact, that the recovery period between the 1st and 2nd test is very small.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Just out of interest... what did Nathan Hauritz do wrong? I know he's not a superstar in the making, but I thought he did a reasonable job in the tests he played in Australia, and also iirc he had strong performances for his state this season. I would have thought he was someone who could play a holding role and take a few wickets, much like MacDonald but giving a bit more variety and bowl a few more overs if necessary. If they weren't going to play spinners, why did they bother to take two of them on tour?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Hope Geeves doesn't get a gig. Anyone who gets destroyed by a mediocre batsman like Michael Dighton, doesn't deserve to represent Australia.

Good to see Hughes and Siddle having success though; they'll be our best 2 players in 3-4 years time.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just out of interest... what did Nathan Hauritz do wrong? I know he's not a superstar in the making, but I thought he did a reasonable job in the tests he played in Australia, and also iirc he had strong performances for his state this season. I would have thought he was someone who could play a holding role and take a few wickets, much like MacDonald but giving a bit more variety and bowl a few more overs if necessary. If they weren't going to play spinners, why did they bother to take two of them on tour?
McDonald is a lot better than Hauritz as a bowler. In the two tests he's played he's kept it tighter than any spinner reasonably could, and chipped in with big wickets in every innings he's bowled in. The conditions suit him much better, and he can hold a bat. And if the pitch isn't turning medium-pace is a much better "change-things-up" idea than spin because the ball will actually move quite a bit more.

No-brainer of a selection, that. Hauritz shouldn't even have been in consideration.