• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson v Stuart Broad

Who is the better Test Batsman

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If anything, the quicker a ball, the easier it should be to leave, as you don't have the time to be drawn into an errant defensive shot.
Occasionally, Richard, the fact that you can't bat to save yourself comes out in your posts. This is a great example.

The slower the ball, the quicker you pick it up and the more time you have to adjust to anything it does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I realise that, but if I'm beaten for pace (which isn't that unusual) the stroke I'm looking to play maximum possible is the leave.

The soundest techniques are always based on "leave unless you have to play" then "leave unless you can safely attack".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, I realise that, but if I'm beaten for pace (which isn't that unusual) the stroke I'm looking to play maximum possible is the leave.

The soundest techniques are always based on "leave unless you have to play" then "leave unless you can safely attack".
Indeed, but I completely disagree with your theory that slower bowlers make you play more defensive shots when you should be leaving. It's completely the other way in my experience - if a bowler is quicker, I have to commit to the shot earlier and am more likely to misjudge the ball. I can play slower bowlers a bit later and leave tighter in towards my body with greater confidence that I've read the line correctly.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, not at all. I actually said earlier in the thread that I didn't think Broad should have been playing last summer, and I agree that the long-term should be a secondary consideration in Test cricket, because each Test match is just that and the best XI should be selected. I am not trying to manufacture anything - he averages what he averages (couldn't tell you what it is tbh) this has nothing to do with anything. If Broad was still bowling constantly poorly (has had an up and down series IMO) then it wouldn't change my belief that Vaughan did the right thing.
Was Vaughan first and then Pietersen later TBF. I'm never in favour of something being done, as I say, to try to prop-up a player who clearly isn't up to it. If it's someone who's established and clearly just needs to get back on his game, that's a different matter.
I care about individual feats, course I do, everyone who has read my posts in CC over the last three years knows I worship Freddie & KP. But my primary concern will always be England winning, as such if a game is pretty much wrapped up, then letting a bowler whose head has dropped take a couple of easy poles strikes me as intelligent man-management of that guy, and you'd imagine the other bowlers should be team players enough to deal with it.
I'm not bothered about other bowlers. I'm bothered about someone who's done poorly being shown, as clearly as possible, to have done poorly. Selection is not done in a separate World - selectors listen to what people say, and much as Broad has enjoyed massive favour with the masses, I think that could conceivably be different had he averaged 70 over his first 10 Tests.
See I might not think he should have been in the team, but he was and clearly was going to be. So there is no point debating the merits of the strategy, fact is they stuck broad in thinking he would develop, so you have to therefore, as a captain, do what is necessary to achieve this.
The point is that the whole strategy is errant - thus, every stage of it is not excused. That you did not start or design it does not excuse in any way.
Disagree about T20 as well - a century or what not will have a greater impact in T20 than an ODI a lot of the time.
Yes but such individual feats are inevitably far smaller and rarer.
Well only he could tell us for sure, but gaining confidence obviously doesn't equate to an instant improvement. Losing confidence would have a more quickly visible detrimental effect IMO, but you could see during the ODI series against South Africa that Broad hadn't let his head drop in spite of a highly disappointing summer in Tests for him. If he had been badly managed then he would surely have been at a low ebb at this point. Instead he has reinvigorated himself and showed some real promise at points this winter.
I also like to see the self-belief of players tested TBH. If you react to adversity by resolving to better yourself, that's far better than having the cracks slightly papered-over and having everyone assure you that you just need to keep doing the same thing and just play a bit more. If, on the other hand, you mope and feel sorry for yourself about how bad it's going, that tends to suggest you're not going to be very viable as a long-term option.

One of the biggest compliments always paid Broad is his attitude and how he doesn't easily get down.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, but I completely disagree with your theory that slower bowlers make you play more defensive shots when you should be leaving it. It's completely the other way in my experience - if a bowler is quicker, I have to commit to the shot earlier and am more likely to misjudge the ball. I can play slower bowlers a bit later and leave tighter in towards my body with greater confidence that I've read the line correctly.
I'm not suggesting slower bowlers draw you into more strokes. I'm suggesting that quicker ones leave your options to not leave - which should be the first instinct - reduced.

Considerable difference. Your basis seems to be "play unless you can leave"; I'm saying it should be "leave unless you feel safe or compulsion to play".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was Vaughan first and then Pietersen later TBF. I'm never in favour of something being done, as I say, to try to prop-up a player who clearly isn't up to it. If it's someone who's established and clearly just needs to get back on his game, that's a different matter.
Dare I say it that the captain felt Broad was capable of more? They may have known more about his ability than we did, and wanted him to start hitting what they felt he should.

Richard said:
I'm not bothered about other bowlers. I'm bothered about someone who's done poorly being shown, as clearly as possible, to have done poorly. Selection is not done in a separate World - selectors listen to what people say, and much as Broad has enjoyed massive favour with the masses, I think that could conceivably be different had he averaged 70 over his first 10 Tests.
I don't think selectors just read the scorecard and pick the team Richard. He was obviously picked on the basis that he was felt to have potential and the fact that he was batting well. He didn't bowl well, and really anything over 40 it becomes kinda moot, it's a poor average. They wanted to give him a chance.

Richard said:
The point is that the whole strategy is errant - thus, every stage of it is not excused. That you did not start or design it does not excuse in any way.
This is a bit silly. it's like me saying, "I don't like my house, so I'm never decorating it." If the skipper has been told, "this bowler plays for X tests" then he should damn well do all he can to ensure that he develops over those tests, of course he should

Richard said:
Yes but such individual feats are inevitably far smaller and rarer.
Smaller how? Rarer sure, but a ton in a T20 is a marvellous achievement

Richard said:
I also like to see the self-belief of players tested TBH. If you react to adversity by resolving to better yourself, that's far better than having the cracks slightly papered-over and having everyone assure you that you just need to keep doing the same thing and just play a bit more. If, on the other hand, you mope and feel sorry for yourself about how bad it's going, that tends to suggest you're not going to be very viable as a long-term option.

One of the biggest compliments always paid Broad is his attitude and how he doesn't easily get down.
Not everybody is the same and treating them as though they are, in terms of their own development is an archaic strategy that is thankfully dying out in both sport and business. People need their own needs catered for. Now sure, Broad does seem a confident type who doesn't get phased by much, that doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from a small ego boost every now and again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dare I say it that the captain felt Broad was capable of more? They may have known more about his ability than we did, and wanted him to start hitting what they felt he should.
Well if so, they were wrong as well, IMO.
I don't think selectors just read the scorecard and pick the team Richard. He was obviously picked on the basis that he was felt to have potential and the fact that he was batting well. He didn't bowl well, and really anything over 40 it becomes kinda moot, it's a poor average. They wanted to give him a chance.
They may not read the scorecard and pick the team exclusively, but it plays a big part, of course it does. And so do the words of those others who're watching the game and reading the 'card. The pressure (both from within and externally) to exclude a bowler averaging 70 will be far more considerable than to exclude one averaging 45. I'm surprised you'd suggest otherwise TBH.
This is a bit silly. it's like me saying, "I don't like my house, so I'm never decorating it." If the skipper has been told, "this bowler plays for X tests" then he should damn well do all he can to ensure that he develops over those tests, of course he should
I don't think that's silly at all TBH. If I thought my house was **** and I couldn't wait to get a different one, I can't say I'd be all that bothered about decorating it. If a skipper disagrees with a bad selection policy, he should in my view do all in his power to change it. To do otherwise is to neglect his duty. The selectors aren't in complete charge of everything, the captain does have some power to influence how the team moves forward and he should not just dumbly accept everything the selectors tell him.
Smaller how? Rarer sure, but a ton in a T20 is a marvellous achievement
40-odd can easily be a significant score in a Twenty20. I couldn't really care greatly about such scores, they need to be bigger for me to really enjoy their construction.

The really significant scores (ie, significant in 50-over or limitless-over cricket) are rare in Twenty20.
Not everybody is the same and treating them as though they are, in terms of their own development is an archaic strategy that is thankfully dying out in both sport and business. People need their own needs catered for. Now sure, Broad does seem a confident type who doesn't get phased by much, that doesn't mean he wouldn't benefit from a small ego boost every now and again.
Phased? Fazed, surely? I realise not everyone is the same and that individual needs need to be catered for. This, however, is a different kettle-of-fish to trying to stop a player from ever encountering a situation he won't be any good if he doesn't learn how to deal with (becuase it's for sure - no-one can stop a player encountering it forever). There will be times in a cricketer's career where his self-belief will be tested - it helps no-one to try to delay this.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not suggesting slower bowlers draw you into more strokes. I'm suggesting that quicker ones leave your options to not leave - which should be the first instinct - reduced.

Considerable difference. Your basis seems to be "play unless you can leave"; I'm saying it should be "leave unless you feel safe or compulsion to play".
Tail-ender. :p

Batsmen tend to be of the mindset of the former.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
I voted on their current level. I would say just now that Mitchell Johnson is a better batsman than Stuart Broad. However I believe that Broad will become a better batsman and I feel he is the best chance England have of an international all-rounder in the future. Broad has age on his side also so has more time to improve and I think within 2 years he will of scored an international 100, would not surprise me if it was before then. I think Broad and Mitchell Johnson will both always be bowling allrounders but being able to have someone with their ability at 8 is a real bonus for any side.

Uppercut

It's funny how having the ability to hit the ball far gives people a lesser opinion of a batsman. Albie Morkel will suffer horribly from it if he ever wants to break into test cricket. Truth be told, Johnson and Broad's techniques are extremely similar- predominantly back foot, love to drive outside the off-stump, strong on the short ball.

Johnson has a second mode, another gear that Broad doesn't have, and somehow that translates into "Broad is better".

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'm a big Broad fan, but Johnson's better, in Test cricket anyway. He's a genuine wicket-taker, whereas Broad's struggled to get consistant wickets at Test level. Johnson may not look pretty, but those wide ones that he gets people to play at are bowled on purpose, he bowls that cutter delivery which appears to be closer to the batsman than it actually is, leading them to play at it. He's also starting to develop an away swinger to the left hander/inny to the right, and is starting to look a class act at Test level.

In ODi's I'd take Broad ahead of Johnson tbh. Johnson's got a good ODi record, but Broad's one of the best new ball bowlers in ODi cricket at the moment, probably only behind Zaheer and Bracken. He's also contributed with the bat, and played some key knocks. They're both going to be top players in a few years, but at the minute I'd take Johnson in Tests and Broad in ODi's.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd say Mills, Vaas and the other guy (can't remember his name :p) are all better ODI bowlers than Broad.

I would take him ahead of Johnson though, wish he'd start taking wickets in tests.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Rich, gonan call time on this one as we obviously are on polar opposities here and would never agree, so no point going round in circles. And yeah, I meant fazed.

And obviously I was right
:ph34r:

King Pietersen

International Captain
The other guy? Kulasekara? I'd possibly agree with Kulasekara being slighlty better than Broad atm, but not sure about Vaas and Mills. Mills is far too inconsistent for my liking. When he's on form he's incredibly dangerous, but take his last game for example, was just bowling pies and got rightly spanked. If you take out his record against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe then he's not got a great record. Averaging over 30 against Australia, England and India, with averages in the high 20's against Pakistan and South Africa. He does have a good record against Sri Lanka and West Indies though.

I'd take Broad over Mills tbh, and if push came to shove I'd Kulasekara over Broad, but their records are very close. Vaas isn't as good a bowler as he once was either, Broad's better than Vaas at the minute. Vaas has only averaged under 30 in 1 of his last 5 ODi series.

Flem274*

123/5
The other guy? Kulasekara? I'd possibly agree with Kulasekara being slighlty better than Broad atm, but not sure about Vaas and Mills. Mills is far too inconsistent for my liking. When he's on form he's incredibly dangerous, but take his last game for example, was just bowling pies and got rightly spanked. If you take out his record against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe then he's not got a great record. Averaging over 30 against Australia, England and India, with averages in the high 20's against Pakistan and South Africa. He does have a good record against Sri Lanka and West Indies though.

I'd take Broad over Mills tbh, and if push came to shove I'd Kulasekara over Broad, but their records are very close. Vaas isn't as good a bowler as he once was either, Broad's better than Vaas at the minute. Vaas has only averaged under 30 in 1 of his last 5 ODi series.
Mills since 2005 or 2006 has been extremely consistent. In fact his poor bowling (after not bowling for a few weeks at all due to injury) showed just how important he is and how we've been taking his consistency for granted.

Kulusekera (sic) is the guy yep.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's funny how having the ability to hit the ball far gives people a lesser opinion of a batsman. Albie Morkel will suffer horribly from it if he ever wants to break into test cricket. Truth be told, Johnson and Broad's techniques are extremely similar- predominantly back foot, love to drive outside the off-stump, strong on the short ball.

Johnson has a second mode, another gear that Broad doesn't have, and somehow that translates into "Broad is better".
Not neccessarily is better, but certainly always looks better. Thus, when judging potential rather than current skill levels, it can indeed sometimes count against a player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm a big Broad fan, but Johnson's better, in Test cricket anyway. He's a genuine wicket-taker, whereas Broad's struggled to get consistant wickets at Test level. Johnson may not look pretty, but those wide ones that he gets people to play at are bowled on purpose, he bowls that cutter delivery which appears to be closer to the batsman than it actually is, leading them to play at it. He's also starting to develop an away swinger to the left hander/inny to the right, and is starting to look a class act at Test level.

In ODi's I'd take Broad ahead of Johnson tbh. Johnson's got a good ODi record, but Broad's one of the best new ball bowlers in ODi cricket at the moment, probably only behind Zaheer and Bracken. He's also contributed with the bat, and played some key knocks. They're both going to be top players in a few years, but at the minute I'd take Johnson in Tests and Broad in ODi's.
I'd say Mills, Vaas and the other guy (can't remember his name :p) are all better ODI bowlers than Broad.

I would take him ahead of Johnson though, wish he'd start taking wickets in tests.

Mills since 2005 or 2006 has been extremely consistent. In fact his poor bowling (after not bowling for a few weeks at all due to injury) showed just how important he is and how we've been taking his consistency for granted.

Kulusekera (sic) is the guy yep.
Think you guys missed the crucial part of the thread...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich, gonan call time on this one as we obviously are on polar opposities here and would never agree, so no point going round in circles. And yeah, I meant fazed.

And obviously I was right
:ph34r:
Pah. Can't take the heat, clearly.

(And remember - I quote in full, none of this QR nonsense, so I read a whole post whether visible on view view or not)

ozone

First Class Debutant

Think you guys missed the crucial part of the thread...
Yea, as Richard says, you should probs read the first post.

Uppercut

Not neccessarily is better, but certainly always looks better. Thus, when judging potential rather than current skill levels, it can indeed sometimes count against a player.
I'd argue the opposite. Technique can be learnt much more easily than hand-eye co-ordination (it's all moot here, because Johnson's technique is every bit as good as Broad's when he decides the time is right to bat "properly").

If one player can regularly middle the ball with a swing of the bat, a solid technique can be learnt. If one player has a tidy technique but often nicks out when playing a shot, you can't usually teach him to middle the ball more often. The first player has much more potential, he's the one with the raw ability that can be refined.