• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson v Stuart Broad

Who is the better Test Batsman

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point is more about shot-selection than technique. If someone has a huge swing whenever they play an attacking shot, they're clearly going to have to do a hell of a lot more reining-in than someone who tends to check their shots more. And obviously, reining in is only do-able to a certain extent in most batsmen - Michael Slater, for instance, was never going to come remotely close to being Sunil Gavaskar, though Slater's method worked reasonably well for him.

Simple fact: the harder you go, the more you're going to nick rather than be able to pull-out of.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think the way Johnson is going and the application he seems to have to his game suggests he'll be a very decent all-rounder.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson is the better bat clearly. I could see Johnson becoming Pollock like.

While Broad will be hit & miss.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Seems a strange two players to compare, even if supposed to be only on batting skill (secondary for both). A player who has emerged as one of the most powerful forces in world cricket Vs yeah I think with some time and encouragement he can be good player.

Perhaps Johnson V Flintoff would be more appropriate

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson's batting so far has been totally unlike Shaun Pollock's.
Well i didn't mean their batting styles. More so the fact that he looks very likely he could become a top-quality bowling all-rounder like Pollock.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The point is more about shot-selection than technique. If someone has a huge swing whenever they play an attacking shot, they're clearly going to have to do a hell of a lot more reining-in than someone who tends to check their shots more. And obviously, reining in is only do-able to a certain extent in most batsmen - Michael Slater, for instance, was never going to come remotely close to being Sunil Gavaskar, though Slater's method worked reasonably well for him.

Simple fact: the harder you go, the more you're going to nick rather than be able to pull-out of.
I think you need to watch Johnson more if you think that's what he does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think that's all he does, just that it's a pretty regular feature of his batting.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think that's all he does, just that it's a pretty regular feature of his batting.
Only when he's accelerating with the tail. In partnership with a batsman he'll have a very solid technique and will generally drive anything in his half of the pitch off the back foot. The only ugly stroke he plays is to the short and wide delivery, which he just sort of dismisses with a slap over gully or point. He's very strong on the short stuff, too. Reminds me of Stuart Broad actually.

When the tail-ender comes out, he'll go after the spinners, but even then he always gets to the pitch and plays it with the turn. It's rarely what you'd call a wild slog, it's an additional shot to add to his armoury that Broad doesn't have. He could put that shot away and look like a more accomplished batsman in your eyes, but he'd be the lesser player for it. The rule is: if Sachin Tendulkar plays the same shot regularly, it's a pretty solid cricketing shot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably because Tendulkar makes it look that much more convincing TBH.

Along with virtually everything else.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad has more shots than Johnson but both have shown they can be very good or very ordinary depending what form they are in.Both can look like a number 7 one day and a number 10 another.Very useful players in the lower order but neither is a genuine all rounder.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Broad has more shots than Johnson but both have shown they can be very good or very ordinary depending what form they are in.Both can look like a number 7 one day and a number 10 another.Very useful players in the lower order but neither is a genuine all rounder.
Not all rounder at all, forget genuine.