• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

NZ4life!

Cricket Spectator
Your chances are looking pretty good, considering India like to bat first and NZ like to bowl first. :)

But don't forget, it is actually possible for him to get out for a low score. It's not just a formality that he's going to bat for an hour.
Yeah Im hoping he goes in the first couple of overs, actually.... not meaning to be sadistic, but it'd be a huge wicket for a young guy like southee. I hope he gets him.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also if Elliot isn't our second best, who is? The inconsistent Guptill? The always injured Oram? The out of form McCullum?
McCullum, Ryder and Guptill are all better bats than Elliot, and I'd rate Oram above him slightly too.

No doubting Elliot has been in really great form, but he's only played 10 innings. 10 innings and you're calling him our second best bastman? Sorry Phlegmo, but that's just ridiculous.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Your chances are looking pretty good, considering India like to bat first and NZ like to bowl first. :)

But don't forget, it is actually possible for him to get out for a low score. It's not just a formality that he's going to bat for an hour.
Excellent point re: India wanting to bat first and Nzl wanting to bowl 1st. Hope it happens.

Also, obviously hoping Tendulkar wont be out for a low score. :)

GGG

State Captain
McCullum, Ryder and Guptill are all better bats than Elliot, and I'd rate Oram above him slightly too.

No doubting Elliot has been in really great form, but he's only played 10 innings. 10 innings and you're calling him our second best bastman? Sorry Phlegmo, but that's just ridiculous.

But you don't apply the same logic to Ryder and Guptill?

100 to win with 6 down, who would you prefer to have left at the crease in Ryder, Guptill or Elliot? I would have Elliot.

Last edited:

Perm

Well, to an extent. I still feel as though Ryder and Guptill are better batsmen than Elliot, despite what the statistics say about it. Personally can't see Elliot averaging more than 30 in his career (if it's a decent length) while I've got high hopes for the other two, and can see them, along with Ryder, being the basis around which our batting is built in the future. They strike me as having better techniques and better strokes than Elliot. Also, let's not forget that it's much easier coming in when the field is spread and working yourself into an innings.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Pre-match starts 1:30, first ball at 2.
Thank you. So thats 40 more minutes. Perfect. First ball right after I step out of home. :@ I hope not all the games are day nighters, or else I'm not going to get to watch a single ball live.

Perm

100 to win with 6 down, who would you prefer to have left at the crease in Ryder, Guptill or Elliot? I would have Elliot.
What does that prove? That Elliot has, so far in his career, guided New Zealand home.

Chasing 300, who would you rather have opening? Ryder, Guptill or Elliot? I'd rather have almost anybody than Elliot.

Different batsmen are suited to different positions and scenarios, that's pretty simple.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah you've kinda just pinpointed why comparing ODI batsmen is so difficult to do. You'd have Elliot there, but 15 needed off the last over to win? Ryder's your man, surely.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant

Who would you rather have opening the batting? Ryder, Guptill or Elliot?

Comparing openers to middle order bats is comparing apples to oranges.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Haha and wouldn't Ryder in that scenario be at like 100* (80)

99*

International Debutant
Thank you. So thats 40 more minutes. Perfect. First ball right after I step out of home. :@ I hope not all the games are day nighters, or else I'm not going to get to watch a single ball live.
Sorry, all D/N games.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Listening to Radio Sport

- Bit of rain earlier
- Raining in Hastings .. will prob rain in Napier soon
- Muggy as
- India has won toss and have elected to bat