• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Just read O'Briens blog, the comment by mooss is pretty funny, feel sorry for the Indians on here though, they must cringe so much when people go nutty over the national side.
Just reading it now. Geez, there are a pathetic bunch of Indian fans on that thread.

Posted by: Mukund Ragunathan at February 28, 2009 10:49 AM

Im an ardent india fan living in NZ, great bowling Iain, i think had u not got sehwag out so early and if he had faced atleast another 10 balls more, india could have had the match winning runs, but i would like to say that 20/20's is NOT representative of a side's ability even though v are world champions, so u can expect an extremely tough ODI and test series as Messrs Ponting, Pietersen and Graeme Smith can agree. But not to take anything away from ur 20/20 win as u played better and u held ur nerve no doubt.
Posted by: Prasanth Nottath at February 28, 2009 2:24 PM

Well done BlackCaps, well done O'Brilliant.

However, hereto thou shalt come no more. Hehe. I will be rooting for you in the ODI series and even test series, except that Indian win will get priority and the little master Sachin Tendulkar will dominate you. Sorry, just treat as a learning curve.
What a surprise to see the pissy bitch, Precambrian, spouting his rubbish elsewhere now.

Posted by: Rabbit at February 28, 2009 10:41 PM

well lain, good job. m sad india didnt win but to be fair, dan got lucky with the toss both times. Its much easier batting second, since the innings can be paced in advance. waitin for an xcitin one day and test series ahead.
Posted by: BRIGHT at March 1, 2009 4:34 PM

"Luck" is what we indians call it, if Dhoni's team wins but now that Dhoni's team has lost two 20/20 matches, what can we say???

First and foremost, great blog again. I enjoyed reading it. You guys really dominated the Game until the last couples of overs where India did some damage at the end.

Iian, ODI serious will be interesting and i 'm sure that this TEAM INDIA will win all the series from NOW ON. I know HOW DHONI'S MEN WORK!!!
WIN WIN is what is going to happen from now on. I know it will be hard to take in for NZ team but the truth is WIN TO INDIA FOR NOW ON.
Nutter.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
He definitely has improved and as i said long may it continue
Think you're right to not go over the top in praise for Elliott at this point. He's had an exceptional start to his career and deserves a lot of plaudits for his determination and concentration. But soon enough gravity will take affect and those amazing batting and bowling averages he's produced will fall/rise to more resemble his underlying ability.

The only question is whether that inevitable fall will be Mike Hussey-esque in proportion or Hamish Marshall-esque in proportion.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
/
When did india win in WI the last 5yrs?seem to recall ind lost in 06.And in WC '07,india got owned by SL and Bangladesh.
FYI : India won the test series against WI in 2006..1-0..Everyone knows we had a forgettable WC'07. But apart from that we have been really consistent whether it was away or at home.
At least we did not play to that extent to have been equated to Bangladesh..!!!

Evermind

International Debutant
Just reading it now. Geez, there are a pathetic bunch of Indian fans on that thread.
Posted by: Mukund Ragunathan at February 28, 2009 10:49 AM

Im an ardent india fan living in NZ, great bowling Iain, i think had u not got sehwag out so early and if he had faced atleast another 10 balls more, india could have had the match winning runs, but i would like to say that 20/20's is NOT representative of a side's ability even though v are world champions, so u can expect an extremely tough ODI and test series as Messrs Ponting, Pietersen and Graeme Smith can agree. But not to take anything away from ur 20/20 win as u played better and u held ur nerve no doubt.

Quote:
Posted by: Prasanth Nottath at February 28, 2009 2:24 PM

Well done BlackCaps, well done O'Brilliant.

However, hereto thou shalt come no more. Hehe. I will be rooting for you in the ODI series and even test series, except that Indian win will get priority and the little master Sachin Tendulkar will dominate you. Sorry, just treat as a learning curve.
Don't see how there's anything pathetic about that. The quotes are hardly disrespectful and apart from the bad grammar, there's nothing particularly egregious about them.

You have problems with even the slightest criticism of/predictions of loss concerning NZ, don't you.

HMas

U19 12th Man
FYI : India won the test series against WI in 2006..1-0..Everyone knows we had a forgettable WC'07. But apart from that we have been really consistent whether it was away or at home.
At least we did not play to that extent to have been equated to Bangladesh..!!!
Ind lost in SA,SL,Aus & Pak in all their recent away tours. Very consistent indeed8-)

Flem274*

123/5
Don't see how there's anything pathetic about that. The quotes are hardly disrespectful and apart from the bad grammar, there's nothing particularly egregious about them.

You have problems with even the slightest criticism of/predictions of loss concerning NZ, don't you.
Was that the Precum quote? Think he was reffering to Precum in general. The other quotes are just funny.

Flem274*

123/5
Elliotts stats will obviously fall, but just because he's not a balster and more of a workman that doesn't mean he can't be a very good batsman.

Also if Elliot isn't our second best, who is? The inconsistent Guptill? The always injured Oram? The out of form McCullum?

Styris doesn't count either, he hasn't played. :p

NZ4life!

Cricket Spectator
Elliotts stats will obviously fall, but just because he's not a balster and more of a workman that doesn't mean he can't be a very good batsman.

Also if Elliot isn't our second best, who is? The inconsistent Guptill? The always injured Oram? The out of form McCullum?

Styris doesn't count either, he hasn't played. :p
thats a couple of pretty sizey calls there. arguably McCullun has been out of form, but his average is only 28, and he just scored two consecutive match winning performances in a row, both unbeaten, both about 60, give or take five runs. sure, he's a bit inconsistent at times, but when he hits the straps... look out, he's got that ability to dismantle any attack. Guptill would have to be a better batsmen than Elliott as well, he's only had 7 innings, one half century and also a century, plus two scores in the forties, not really inconsistent. not meaning to diss elliott or anything, the guys a legend, the amount of times he's saved NZ in ODI's. He's a massively valuable all rounder/batter, and definitly not a shaky batsman, he's brilliant, but i dunno about second best....

Flem274*

123/5
thats a couple of pretty sizey calls there. arguably McCullun has been out of form, but his average is only 28, and he just scored two consecutive match winning performances in a row, both unbeaten, both about 60, give or take five runs. sure, he's a bit inconsistent at times, but when he hits the straps... look out, he's got that ability to dismantle any attack. Guptill would have to be a better batsmen than Elliott as well, he's only had 7 innings, one half century and also a century, plus two scores in the forties, not really inconsistent. not meaning to diss elliott or anything, the guys a legend, the amount of times he's saved NZ in ODI's. He's a massively valuable all rounder/batter, and definitly not a shaky batsman, he's brilliant, but i dunno about second best....
Guptill should end up better, but atm he's not.

Same with McCullum, but after showing real awesomeness last year he's pretty shaky this year, if he was at 7 still he'd be better than Elliott easily though.

Spose it just goes to show how important batting position can be.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I'd say McCullum is a batter batsman than Elliot by quite a distance. McCullum would do a great job batting back down at 6, but Elliot would be a complete dud at opening.

McCullum is better than Elliot at opening, and at batting in the middle order, clearly making him the better batsman.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd say McCullum is a batter batsman than Elliot by quite a distance. McCullum would do a great job batting back down at 6, but Elliot would be a complete dud at opening.

McCullum is better than Elliot at opening, and at batting in the middle order, clearly making him the better batsman.
McCullum is more versatile certainly, but is he better? I'm not sure, he promises much (like all our batsmen) but delivers inconsistently. He's had heaps of games for an average of 28 (brought down by being useless early on tis true, much better since 05) wheras Elliott has played excellently in the five minutes he's played. On current form Elliott>McCullum but mcCullum at his best>Elliott.

Actualy, might check the context of my post just to make sure I said second best atm, if I didn't, then ****, because I'm not that serious on Gant being better than Baz overall (I'm a fanboy FFS :p), 0h n0ez, I think too much.

And I'm just incredibly biased. :p

I'll fence sit and say they're both good for contrasting situations, ha!

Polo23

International Debutant
Elliott's played 16 games for NZ and you're calling him our second best batsman? Mate, while I think Elliott has been great, that is incredibly premature.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hoping India bats. Will be able to watch Tendulkar bat around 1 hour before I prepare to leave for work. Hoping bad weather doesn't ruin it.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Hoping India bats. Will be able to watch Tendulkar bat around 1 hour before I prepare to leave for work. Hoping bad weather doesn't ruin it.
Your chances are looking pretty good, considering India like to bat first and NZ like to bowl first. :)

But don't forget, it is actually possible for him to get out for a low score. It's not just a formality that he's going to bat for an hour.