• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ive just checked and the CC attacks are poorer than I remember.

Possible that none of, or all of, these attacks are better than the current England one. Clearly though no County attack stands out like I thought it would.

Lancs
Chapple
Cork
Flintoff
Keedy

Durham
Harmison
Thorp
Davies
Onions

Neither Saj or Plunkett make it in

Northamptonshire (this may be the most dubious)
Panesar
Boje
Hall
van der Wath
Lowe

Worcs
Simon Jones
Kabir Ali
Magoffin
Batty

Yorks
Hoggard
Bresnan
Morne Morkel
Rashid
Kruis

Yeah, I don't think they'd have been any more effective on this track. As you say, standards aren't high, and there's a number of moderate performers who are much of a muchness.

btw it's a bit harsh to pick Fred for Lancs when he's unfit to play for England :)
Still, Anderson wouldn't be the worst substitute.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As you say, standards aren't high, and there's a number of moderate performers who are much of a muchness.
This is where skilled selection comes in. Whilst players may look similar, there are hundreds of factors that make them different. Skilled selectors need to be able to evaluate the complete package and be confident in their evaluation of a player.

If selectors cant commit to the players they believe are the best then they have no business in that job.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well the match at Cardiff will likely be rained off, or at least the field and deck chairs they've constructed will be deemed unfit for international cricket and they'll have decided to move it to a genuine Test quality ground.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How many 4 or 5 man County county attacks would rank above this England one?
Hampshire not all that bad:

Tremlett
Tahir
Mascarenhas
Dawson
Tomlinson
(Cork)

Can't argue that it is better than England but the one we had at the start of 2007 was:

Clark
Tremlett
Mascarenhas
Warne
Bruce

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How many 4 or 5 man County county attacks would rank above this England one?
On the subject, this is the current England Lions attack playing in New Zealand:

L Plunkett
M Davies
R Joseph
G Batty
S Patel

Amjad Khan was part of that attack until he had to be shipped to the Caribbean, Sajid Mahmood was involved in the last match. Either way, however you look at it, I'd definitely take the current England attack.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hampshire not all that bad:

Tremlett
Tahir
Mascarenhas
Dawson
Tomlinson
(Cork)
If we have Tomlinson, Mascarenhas and Tahir bowling like they did last season and Tremlett bowling like he did the season before, it does have a really good shout to be better than the English one. Neither would have been remotely effective on this pitch, mind. I can't think of any attack that would be though tbh.

chrisbroxton

Cricket Spectator
Ive just checked and the CC attacks are poorer than I remember.

Possible that none of, or all of, these attacks are better than the current England one. Clearly though no County attack stands out like I thought it would.

Lancs
Chapple
Cork
Flintoff
Keedy

Durham
Harmison
Thorp
Davies
Onions

Neither Saj or Plunkett make it in

Northamptonshire (this may be the most dubious)
Panesar
Boje
Hall
van der Wath
Lowe

Worcs
Simon Jones
Kabir Ali
Magoffin
Batty

Yorks
Hoggard
Bresnan
Morne Morkel
Rashid
Kruis
cork has now left lancs, but jmmy would be a suitable replacement

Steulen

International Regular
Haha..Strauss' wicket fell 10 minutes ago and no-one has posted.

See? that's what flat pitches do to Test cricket...if even CW can't be bothered anymore...