• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

trapol

U19 12th Man
Averaging over 50 is for a period of 1 Mar 2007 - 1 Mar 2009. Thats two years. (Same period Taylor ave 39, McCulum 37) But if i remember correctly (last year seems so far away) he was MoM against the Poms 3 times in that home and away series. So whilst he wasnt put up huge numbers he was winning games for NZ.

My question still stands and nobody has attempted to answer. Why does he have to prove himself in domestic cricket when fit and Ryder (who has been in far worse domestic form), Oram 1 game, Mills 0 games been rushed straight back in and not have too

Dont forget at the time Styris was injured he was our highest ranked ODI batsman on the ICC rankings. So that makes him our best batsman btw

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Do you follow cricket??? In the last 5 or so years.. We have won in Australia, England, Srilanka, Pakistan and WI..I hope those are "away" wins...!!!
/
When did india win in WI the last 5yrs?seem to recall ind lost in 06.And in WC '07,india got owned by SL and Bangladesh.

Polo23

International Debutant
Averaging over 50 is for a period of 1 Mar 2007 - 1 Mar 2009. Thats two years. (Same period Taylor ave 39, McCulum 37) But if i remember correctly (last year seems so far away) he was MoM against the Poms 3 times in that home and away series. So whilst he wasnt put up huge numbers he was winning games for NZ.

My question still stands and nobody has attempted to answer. Why does he have to prove himself in domestic cricket when fit and Ryder (who has been in far worse domestic form), Oram 1 game, Mills 0 games been rushed straight back in and not have too

Dont forget at the time Styris was injured he was our highest ranked ODI batsman on the ICC rankings. So that makes him our best batsman btw
2007 - average of 55
2008 - average of 27

He's been pretty average since that WC in 2007.

The answer to your question is a pretty obvious one. Ryder, Oram and Mills are far younger than Styris and will almost certainly be around for the next WC, their form over the past year has been fantastic (especially Mills) and they are crucial to the make up of the side.

And no, that doesnt make him our best batsman.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd have the Styris of 2003-2007 in the team any day of the week, but the current one doesn't warrant a place atm. I don't care if you have the depth of Zimbabwe, selection is not a right.

Styris should be playing for NZ A though, because Scott Styris is a class player, and his non-selection for them if baffling (though I do believe A teams should be your second XI, hence my fury at Youngs selection over Hopkins etc, plus no Sinclair, you must pick theb est, not who you think is good)

Polo23

International Debutant
Styris should be playing for NZ A though, because Scott Styris is a class player, and his non-selection for them if baffling (though I do believe A teams should be your second XI, hence my fury at Youngs selection over Hopkins etc, plus no Sinclair, you must pick theb est, not who you think is good)
Styris has retired from test cricket. Why would they pick him for Two 'A' test matches?

He will likely be in the NZ A ODI squad.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
I think the point with Mills, Ryder and Oram being rushed back is - we *need* those players to win.

We don't *need* Styris to win, Broom will suffice.

For me, either Styris or Broom is fine, both are quality players. But missing Oram, Mills or Ryder is a huge setback.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Styris
World Cup ave 83
SA away ave 62
Aust away 46
Bang Home 66
Eng home 12
Eng away 65
Bang away 5

Thats hardly hasnt done anything since the WC.

Flem274*

123/5
average of 20 odd overall in 08 suggests inconsistentcy though, and thats not endearing, then he went and got injured.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Yes 27 ave in 2008

That included 3 MoM against Eng Home and away so he is still winning us matches.

Last time i looked 27 from an established proven matchwinner is better than 21 from an unproven newcomer

However im sure we are all sick of this should he be there or not talk . He obviously isnt. So good luck boys i hope we win this series...its certainly going to be great viewing

adharcric

International Coach
Given that Ishant is out, India must opt for either Yusuf and Munaf Patel, or Irfan and Ojha, to support Zaheer, Praveen and Harbhajan. Yusuf shouldn't be in the one-day side unless he can bowl a near-full quota of overs on a regular basis, so I'd go with the latter ... but I'm expecting the former.

Sehwag, Tendulkar, Gambhir, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Raina, Irfan, Harbhajan, Praveen, Zaheer, Ojha

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes 27 ave in 2008

That included 3 MoM against Eng Home and away so he is still winning us matches.

Last time i looked 27 from an established proven matchwinner is better than 21 from an unproven newcomer

However im sure we are all sick of this should he be there or not talk . He obviously isnt. So good luck boys i hope we win this series...its certainly going to be great viewing
Yeah, I was disappointed with Styris being left out at first, but then I realised he'll be back in the team as soon as Oram injures himself trying to bowl in the third one-dayer...

thierry henry

International Coach
I think the point with Mills, Ryder and Oram being rushed back is - we *need* those players to win.

For me, either Styris or Broom is fine, both are quality players. But missing Oram, Mills or Ryder is a huge setback.
lol

We *need* Ryder but we don't *need* Styris?

Work that one out

NZ4life!

Cricket Spectator

Yeah we did good in the 20/20's without Mills, and then in oz missing a few playres like oram and Jesse and we still gave them a real fight... I reckon this is the strongest side we've fielded in a little while, and stryis.... well to be honest, he's getting on and he ain't really needed, what with elliot and oram. Brooms a youngish, talented player, so for him to become another ross taylor in the middle order would do heaps for our odi batting depth. i'm not saying he will, but he's proven he can score runs domestically, and now he's been given a chance at the next level up. whats wrong with that?

trapol

U19 12th Man
why do i keep dragging myself into this?
Nobody doubts Broom is a steady player, but he isnt better than Styris therefore Styris deserves his spot. Elliott isnt a better player either but had a good series in Aust and therefore deserves to stay. I will put my semi detached house on the fact that once Elliott comes back to earth Styris will be back in that side pronto
My ODI team for the record would actually be
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Elliott
Oram
B Mac
Mills
Vettori
Southee
Butler/Obrien

I would consider pushing B Mac back to the top if we played in the sub continent where scoring in the first 15 is critical. However SA have started to utilise that batting powerplay better than anyone and id like to see B Mac given that job much as White does it for Aust (poorly i might add) and Morkel does for SA.
This way we get the batters to do the batting and Oram/B Mac to hit in the powerplay anfd Mills/Butler/Southee/Vettori to do the death.
I like the power all the way through the order that way

Flem274*

123/5
Tbh, Broom is a good player, but he isn't a "hitter" like hes been pidgeon holed, he can do it, but like Oram he is a proper batsman. Also He's more of a 4/5, but those spots are taken.

Styris has the same issue, the only real hitter I can think of off the top of my head of McGlashan, and I doubt his ability at the top.

Just read O'Briens blog, the comment by mooss is pretty funny, feel sorry for the Indians on here though, they must cringe so much when people go nutty over the national side.

Actualy if they dropped Bhaji the Indian team would be perfect. Seem a really gun bunch.

Flem274*

123/5
why do i keep dragging myself into this?
Nobody doubts Broom is a steady player, but he isnt better than Styris therefore Styris deserves his spot. Elliott isnt a better player either but had a good series in Aust and therefore deserves to stay. I will put my semi detached house on the fact that once Elliott comes back to earth Styris will be back in that side pronto
My ODI team for the record would actually be
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Elliott
Oram
B Mac
Mills
Vettori
Southee
Butler/Obrien

I would consider pushing B Mac back to the top if we played in the sub continent where scoring in the first 15 is critical. However SA have started to utilise that batting powerplay better than anyone and id like to see B Mac given that job much as White does it for Aust (poorly i might add) and Morkel does for SA.
This way we get the batters to do the batting and Oram/B Mac to hit in the powerplay anfd Mills/Butler/Southee/Vettori to do the death.
I like the power all the way through the order that way
Out of interest, why do you rate Elliott so lowly? He is easily our second best batsman behind Taylor.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Ha You must be a huge fan of Elliotts to think he is our second best bat.
He is nowhere near it. I personally think he is a battler who makes the most of his ability and through shear determination makes a contribution. Hopefully that continues.

But i think he gets found out soon. After all he was average in SA and barely held his spot in his first class side. People are obviously entitled to get better but i dont see it happening long term.

Styris is far better, in my view, and i think we will miss his ability to play spin as Vettori is on record as saying that Styris is the best player of spin in the country. And from what i can gather our inability to play Harbhajan and Jadeja in the T20 almost meant we blew it.