• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Panesar should not be the second spinner IMO, similar to the situation with Bell when there was debate over who should replace Flintoff, to drop somebody and recall them after 1 test match when they have proven nothing as to why they warrant a recall is bizarre.
This is such a silly idea. You pick the best team, not a team based on "he's been dropped so now he must miss X number of games".

Rashid has done far less than MSP, right now, to warrant a Test berth.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't exaggerate so - we played 28 players in six Tests in 1988 and 29 in the same number in 1989.

Little wonder they were the worst two summers in the history of England Test cricket.
Lol, true... but you could say 16 in three = 32 in six. ;)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
:laugh:

Don't think Swanny too pleased with Sidebottom's efforts there,

"****ing hell, Sid" plain as day over the stump mic.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah... but then again I couldn't understand the logic of Bopara playing this one really.
Think he was the "not Bell" option, tbh. Strauss said the issues that lead Bello to be dropped were still there, so when we chose to go with the extra bat it was a no-brainer, I guess.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Aaaaah, but it's 18 in 4 = ... umm, what in 6? :unsure: CBA working it out.
It doesn't work like that.

You have to subtract 11 from the total number of players used in the series and divide what's left by the number of tests after the first one to calculate the incremental number of players per test.

Has to be more fun than watching the action though.

EDIT
So 18 in 4 = 23 in 6.
fwiw

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Think he was the "not Bell" option, tbh. Strauss said the issues that lead Bello to be dropped were still there, so when we chose to go with the extra bat it was a no-brainer, I guess.
Except the reasons why Bell was chosen ahead of Bopara in the first place were still there too presumably.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Quite so - Bopara was hardly the worst selection of the winter.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Except the reasons why Bell was chosen ahead of Bopara in the first place were still there too presumably.
Probably, but after the first test not necessarily. Bell's twatty dismissal quota finally exhausted perhaps.

Swann been stitched out of a Michelle there, for mine.