• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harsh IMO. If the pitch is flat enough for runs scored by Bopara and Ambrose to count for less (which it is), it is also flat enough for a young bowler to be excused for trying to mix it up a bit, which I suspect is the reason for his waywardness.
This pitch may be flatter than the previous two, but I'd say it actually offers a bit more to the bowlers, if they can use alternative methods. There's more bounce, even if it is almost all completely true, here than at the other grounds. Thus any sideways movement is that much more effective.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But he'd also not be if he'd been given lbw early on at Sabina like he should've been. The genius referral system not working again to rule him n\o.
I'm not going to pretend I agree with that decision. That said, it has been done and life goes on. Sarwan's now in the form of his life and has scored some big runs under some big pressure.

In the same way, if England may go on to win this match, the series, and the Ashes.
BTW there was some blokey asking after the best seats at QPO. Rose, myself and possibly some others were wondering where you were.
Oh I haven't been to the Oval since 2003 iirc, and there's obviously been significant change since then (World Cup considered and all), so I'm afraid I can't say. I'll ask my cousin though, as he plays for Queen's Park in the domestic league.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
But he'd also not be if he'd been given lbw early on at Sabina like he should've been. The genius referral system not working again to rule him n\o.

I said it after the First Test, after which I arrived back from 6 weeks' absence.

BTW there was some blokey asking after the best seats at QPO. Rose, myself and possibly some others were wondering where you were.
Yeah holmes, where you been at all this time?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not going to pretend I agree with that decision. That said, it has been done and life goes on. Sarwan's now in the form of his life and has scored some big runs under some big pressure.
Oh, he most certainly has - his form (as I've mentioned several times so far this innings) has been splended indeed. Nonetheless, the if which applies to him getting one century also applies to him not getting another.
In the same way, if England may go on to win this match, the series, and the Ashes.
:huh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Harper's not actually making the final decision, that's down to the on-field umpire based on advice from the third umpire. He doesn't have to take that advice.
Yes, but if a man who has seen several replays for several minutes says that he's pretty sure it's out, you're going to doubt yourself. It's Harper's fault, not Dar's. Dar made the right decision.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It's just a draw, isn't it? Shake hands and move on.
This is West Indies cricket. Always remember that.
Oh, he most certainly has - his form (as I've mentioned several times so far this innings) has been splended indeed. Nonetheless, the if which applies to him getting one century also applies to him not getting another.
Indeed he probably would not have gotten into this rich form if he was given out in the first Test when he probably should have been. That's cricket though. That's life. Not a particularly new "what if" scenario.
Just a tongue-in-cheek comment.
Considering that Sarwan got a shade of good luck to kickstart his top form.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Three days of very average batsman making a lot of runs against piss poor bowlers, topped off with comical umpiring................excellent extertainment all around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gotta feel a bit sorry for Alan Hurst. Has to try to explain decisions made by others and avoid embarrassing anyone.

Neil Pickup

It could be that Dar was certain it was hitting the stumps, but thought it pitched outside off stump. Harper then would have told him it had definitely pitched in line and hence Dar overturned his decision.

There we go, I've concocted a vague explanation.
Jesus, looks like this is actually right, with the exception that the question was "did he nick it?"

Jigga988

State 12th Man
'If hawk-eye isn't 100% correct it will not be used.' That's shocking I mean come on, in tennis hawk-eye isn't even 100% accurate and hawk-eye has been such a success in tennis...

Omg, the more I hear this conversation with Nasser and the more I hear what he is saying the more I am cringing... the match referee is just regurgitating facts that are proving himself wrong... He hasn't ever said that anyone is wrong and think's the performance of the third umpire is fine... JOKES! ha! You simply can't defend both the Chanders and the Nash decision without contradicting himself...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doing a terrible job of it, though. Nasser really getting into him. Beautiful.
Apart from the fact he kept getting the "overruled" bit wrong, he did indeed. Not for the first time, Hussain doing a very good job of this interview business.

It's a difficult job Hurst has been given.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'If hawk-eye isn't 100% correct it will not be used.' That's shocking I mean come on, in tennis hawk-eye isn't even 100% accurate and hawk-eye has been such a success in tennis...

Omg, the more I hear this conversation with Nasser and the more I hear what he is saying the more I am cringing... the match referee is just regurgitating facts that are proving himself wrong... He hasn't ever said that anyone is wrong and think's the performance of the third umpire is fine... JOKES! ha! You simply can't defend both the Chanders and the Nash decision without contradicting himself...
In fairness, as I say, he's got to try to defend his fellow employees. He's not authorised, I expect, to criticise Umpires.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jesus, looks like this is actually right, with the exception that the question was "did he nick it?"
But then consider that Harper, apparently, told him that it "might" hit the stumps. And that's after watching several replays for several minutes. So surely Aleem Dar should have thought there was indeed enough doubt to call not out, albeit for a different reason that he originally though. He had the chance to realize his mistake (thinking that the height was not an issue) and correct it himself without it affecting anyone.

If all that is the case, as it appears to, it's shocking incompetence by him too. And he's a fine umpire typically. Harper has to go though, because he's made some worse decisions than that last one in this series.