• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course it won't be. Umpires are worse than football referees in this aspect, no matter how badly they perform, they are hardly ever punished. I would stake almost anything on Harper not being dropped from the panel.
If the WICB were a semi-competent organisation, they'd try a Bucknor-BCCI on the matter. They're not, though, so they're unlikely to.

ozone

First Class Debutant
If the WICB were a semi-competent organisation, they'd try a Bucknor-BCCI on the matter. They're not, though, so they're unlikely to.
Well, if the BCCI were unable to get Bucknor thrown off the panel, its unlikely that, even if the WI were semi-competent, they would be able to get rid of Harper.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It could be that Dar was certain it was hitting the stumps, but thought it pitched outside off stump. Harper then would have told him it had definitely pitched in line and hence Dar overturned his decision.

There we go, I've concocted a vague explanation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, if the BCCI were unable to get Bucknor thrown off the panel, its unlikely that, even if the WI were semi-competent, they would be able to get rid of Harper.
They got him removed from the next game though, just by demanding it. And I doubt said removal played no part in Bucknor's overdue decision to retire, announced not so long ago.

Hopefully ol' Harps might be the same.

ozone

First Class Debutant
They got him removed from the next game though, just by demanding it. And I doubt said removal played no part in Bucknor's overdue decision to retire, announced not so long ago.

Hopefully ol' Harps might be the same.
Hopefully, but I'm not too hopeful (if that makes sense :wacko:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It could be that Dar was certain it was hitting the stumps, but thought it pitched outside off stump. Harper then would have told him it had definitely pitched in line and hence Dar overturned his decision.

Even that doesn't fly I don't think. Due to the ridiculous nature of referrals, it's "that's not-out"; "no I don't think it is"; "yes, that's out". And that's it.

No "did it, didn't it?" Just "I think the Umpire made a mistake". Once the on-field Umpire has been challenged, he then has no input.

Neil Pickup

It's still LBW if it pitches outside off stump... unsure about whether it's hitting him in line, perhaps... it's vague but I suppose it works.

Jigga988

State 12th Man

How long did it take you to 'concoct' that opinion... The decision was bately wrong and there's no sense trying to concost sub-standard explanations for it...

Ramdin is looking nice (usually does though...)

Uppercut

It's still LBW if it pitches outside off stump... unsure about whether it's hitting him in line, perhaps... it's vague but I suppose it works.
Ah yeah that's what I meant.

It's just a possibility i'm throwing out there. It's all the more likely that Harper's just a fool.

Neil Pickup

How long did it take you to 'concoct' that opinion... The decision was bately wrong and there's no sense trying to concost sub-standard explanations for it...

Ramdin is looking nice (usually does though...)
It's fun, though. More fun than watching Stuart Broad bowl there.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well the definition of "justify"...

But anyway, I'd be seriously kicking myself if I were Sarwan, because he'd be odds on to equal Weekes' record if he didn't have a Pietersenesque implosion in the last match. I'm sure it's been said before, but I can't be bothered to read more than 2 pages back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's fun, though. More fun than watching Stuart Broad bowl there.
So far this Test we've been back to the usual Stuart Broad who lacks either accuracy or patience and has no real attacking weapons, just a youthful face (younger than me! FFS!), a willingness to try and thus a favourable outlook from most onlookers.

After for 1-and-4\5ths games we had an imposter who bowled good lines consistently and extracted what little there was in the surfaces.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well the definition of "justify"...

But anyway, I'd be seriously kicking myself if I were Sarwan, because he'd be odds on to equal Weekes' record if he didn't have a Pietersenesque implosion in the last match.
But he'd also not be if he'd been given lbw early on at Sabina like he should've been. The genius referral system not working again to rule him n\o.
I'm sure it's been said before, but I can't be bothered to read more than 2 pages back.
I said it after the First Test, after which I arrived back from 6 weeks' absence.

BTW there was some blokey asking after the best seats at QPO. Rose, myself and possibly some others were wondering where you were.

Mr Mxyzptlk

After for a 1-and-4\5ths games we had an imposter who bowled good lines consistently and extracted what little there was in the surfaces.
Admittedly in those games there was enough on show to suggest that he could well be the quality Test bowler that the selectors seem to think he can. That said, I will never understand why he was picked ahead of Anderson.

ozone

First Class Debutant
So far this Test we've been back to the usual Stuart Broad who lacks either accuracy or patience and has no real attacking weapons, just a youthful face (younger than me! FFS!), a willingness to try and thus a favourable outlook from most onlookers.

After for a 1-and-4\5ths games we had an imposter who bowled good lines consistently and extracted what little there was in the surfaces.
Harsh IMO. If the pitch is flat enough for runs scored by Bopara and Ambrose to count for less (which it is), it is also flat enough for a young bowler to be excused for trying to mix it up a bit, which I suspect is the reason for his waywardness.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Harper's not actually making the final decision, that's down to the on-field umpire based on advice from the third umpire. He doesn't have to take that advice.