• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

ozone

First Class Debutant
Through all the crap, Sarwan moves past 150. IMO, looks as good, if not better, than anyone else has in this test so far.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am trying to understand how there is any possible argument from any spectrum to understand why that decision has been made. I'm usually pretty good at working out exactly where wrong answers come from in children's maths books, and I thought I made a pretty good effort at legislating for the Chanderpaul not out.

Yet I cannot see any reason at all for the Nash LBW to be reversed. Had it been given out, there would have been no reason for it to be given not out: yet once given not out, there is absolutely no way that Harper can say it is fact that Dar's decision was wrong. None, from any possible perspective. It is quite simply an appalling decision and one that should result in suspension or removal of Harper from the elite panel of umpires. He is not doing his job.
Harper's always skated close to the wind. Surely this must be the last straw?

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I am trying to understand how there is any possible argument from any spectrum to understand why that decision has been made. I'm usually pretty good at working out exactly where wrong answers come from in children's maths books, and I thought I made a pretty good effort at legislating for the Chanderpaul not out.

Yet I cannot see any reason at all for the Nash LBW to be reversed. Had it been given out, there would have been no reason for it to be given not out: yet once given not out, there is absolutely no way that Harper can say it is fact that Dar's decision was wrong. None, from any possible perspective. It is quite simply an appalling decision and one that should result in suspension or removal of Harper from the elite panel of umpires. He is not doing his job.
Not entirely his fault. I can understand the reason for Nash's decision but he's looking through a limited portal of information. Amend the rules to use whatever technology is available for him.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not entirely his fault. I can understand the reason for Nash's decision but he's looking through a limited portal of information. Amend the rules to use whatever technology is available for him.
How? How can you countenance that there was indisputable fact to overrule Dar's original not out?

ozone

First Class Debutant
Harper's always skated close to the wind. Surely this must be the last straw?
Of course it won't be. Umpires are worse than football referees in this aspect, no matter how badly they perform, they are hardly ever punished. I would stake almost anything on Harper not being dropped from the panel.

Mr Mxyzptlk

How? How can you countenance that there was indisputable fact to overrule Dar's original not out?
Indeed. The mere fact that he took so long shows doubt, in which case you stand by the original decision.

This is inexcusable incompetence. Human error is forgivable for the onfield umpire, but not the third umpire who's now made 3-4 terrible decisions in this series. That said, this is the same Daryl Harper who doesn't know what legbyes are.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Glad to see the England boys are rightfully not trying to defend any decisions... shows that the people on Cricket Web have some sense and don't just blindly support their team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It looked like height wasn't a problem. I'm sure a lot of people thought so.
It looked too close to overrule the decision. You cannot tell me that there was significant doubt that he was not out, as to rule it out. Ridiculous and get off it.

Neil Pickup

It looked like height wasn't a problem. I'm sure a lot of people thought so.
Your own choice of words scuppers the argument. "Looked like" is not fact.

I had just spent the best part of an hour defending the decision not to overrule the Chanderpaul LBW, only for the whole argument to be thrown back in the air through a doubt-ridden prediction. It was not indisputable fact that it would have hit, therefore under the referral system the decision remains as given by the on-field umpire.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It would have been a shocking departure from natural physics for the Chanderpaul ball to have hit the stumps though. I think that's as close to fact as you're going to get in a decision like that, given the limited technology available to the third umpire.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
It looked too close to overrule the decision. You cannot tell me that there was significant doubt that he was not out, as to rule it out. Ridiculous and get off it.
FFS I'm not justifying the decision. I'm saying I can see how it could be overruled. It's a farce partially because of Harper and partially because of the rules.

Mr Mxyzptlk

FFS I'm not justifying the decision.
That's exactly what you're doing though. As you corroborate here:
I'm saying I can see how it could be overruled. It's a farce partially because of Harper and partially because of the rules.
And ftr, the rules, afaik, are that a decision is overruled if it is clear that it should be. There is no way that Harper could have been clear there about Nash being out.

Neil Pickup

FFS I'm not justifying the decision. I'm saying I can see how it could be overruled. It's a farce partially because of Harper and partially because of the rules.
See my earlier post: your explanation of "looks like" is not sufficient under doubt for a decision like that to be overturned.