• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Styris was our greatest allrounder but he was out-of-form/touch lately. that made selectors neglect him..

Moreover, I think we have Ryder in place of Styris who can do what Styris can do....
When has he been out of form for the BC's? The last time he played for us was in the 3 ODI's against Bangladesh. You can't tell me he's been left out on the basis of some mediocre performances in half a dozen state 20/20 matches?

And Styris wouldn't be taking Ryder's place, he'd be taken Broom's. Broom hasn't exactly done badly since he came into the side, but he's hardly set the world on fire either and he certainly doesn't deserve to keep Styris out of the team.

Polo23

International Debutant
When has he been out of form for the BC's? The last time he played for us was in the 3 ODI's against Bangladesh. You can't tell me he's been left out on the basis of some mediocre performances in half a dozen state 20/20 matches?

And Styris wouldn't be taking Ryder's place, he'd be taken Broom's. Broom hasn't exactly done badly since he came into the side, but he's hardly set the world on fire either and he certainly doesn't deserve to keep Styris out of the team.
This is a poor stance you are taking. You are pretty much saying an old guy should take the spot of a young guy who has done relatively well, because he has had a decent OD career. Despite being in terrible domestic form.

IMO Styris should only have his spot back if he deserves it through domestic performances, Broom had to do it the hard way, why should Styris be any different?

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
In odis you have to beat the batsman and get wickets in not like t20 where people
get out trying for big shots,This newzealand attack may be accurate but all are similar bowlers.i do not think india will have much of a problem in odis if the pitches are flat.
I know that you got to take wickets in ODI's....you get wickets by containing a batsman with good tight bowling .. with a good fielding.. sometimes these silly things put the batsman in pressure,..NZ are good at this than India.. I feel NZ have the advantage going in to ODI's with their experienced attack on their home ground

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This is a poor stance you are taking. You are pretty much saying an old guy should take the spot of a young guy who has done relatively well, because he has had a decent OD career. Despite being in terrible domestic form.

IMO Styris should only have his spot back if he deserves it through domestic performances, Broom had to do it the hard way, why should Styris be any different?
:blowup:

Broom didn't have to do it the hard way!!!!!!! He got in the side because Styris got injured and we needed another batsman!!!!! And Styris has had more than a decent ODI career! Until Taylor started to finally put some consistent performances on the board this season, Styris had been comfortably a best ODI batsman for some time. And he's hardly in terrible domestic form! He's played a handful of 20/20's and averaged 16 in them. Which shows precisely nothing about his form.

In any case, averaging 21 at a SR of 75 is NOT enough to say that you've entrenched yourself in the side. And it's hardly like you can say that that's only because he was batting too far down the order or something. Broom had plenty of opportunities to put up big, match winning scores over the course of the 7 ODI's that he's played, and he's never done it. His highest score is still 29 FFS! Again, I'm not saying that he's done badly or anything, but how can you say he deserves a spot ahead of Styris? HOW??????????

Again, :blowup:

And by your logic, Styris should at least be picked in the NZA squad, which he wasn't either.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I know that you got to take wickets in ODI's....you get wickets by containing a batsman with good tight bowling .. with a good fielding.. sometimes these silly things put the batsman in pressure,..NZ are good at this than India.. I feel NZ have the advantage going in to ODI's with their experienced attack on their home ground
India are a far better side than nz in odis specially on flat tracks ,india will win easily
if the pitches are flat like they have been in the last few years in nz

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Broom didn't have to do it the hard way!!!!!!! He got in the side because Styris got injured and we needed another batsman!!!!! And Styris has had more than a decent ODI career! Until Taylor started to finally put some consistent performances on the board this season, Styris had been comfortably a best ODI batsman for some time. And he's hardly in terrible domestic form! He's played a handful of 20/20's and averaged 16 in them. Which shows precisely nothing about his form.

In any case, averaging 21 at a SR of 75 is NOT enough to say that you've entrenched yourself in the side. And it's hardly like you can say that that's only because he was batting too far down the order or something. Broom had plenty of opportunities to put up big, match winning scores over the course of the 7 ODI's that he's played, and he's never done it. His highest score is still 29 FFS! Again, I'm not saying that he's done badly or anything, but how can you say he deserves a spot ahead of Styris? HOW??????????

And by your logic, Styris should at least be picked in the NZA squad, which he wasn't either.
Agree with you, I'm not totally convinced by Broom yet, even the couple of decent innings that he has played were decidedly streaky IMO

Raghav

1. Broom is more like our future cricketer - lets give some chances to him to perform
2. This is perfect time to give our young cricketer to play for the country....if not when do you give?
3. More of all, If you see Styris' batting recently, he has not been able to time the ball properly...he is mediocre with the ball also

Raghav

India are a far better side than nz in odis specially on flat tracks ,india will win easily
if the pitches are flat like they have been in the last few years in nz
:walkman::walkman:
we are carrying that home advantage and with Vettori(a great thinker of the game) leading the side, NZ have got 70% chances to win series

Howeever, starting from this tuesday the :starwars: begin

NZ will of course be winning with wonderful team effort
:band:

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Styris is one of those guys who looks great for his first 10 or 20 runs, and then inexplicably gets out to the most innocuous looking delivery.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
:walkman::walkman:
we are carrying that home advantage and with Vettori(a great thinker of the game) leading the side, NZ have got 70% chances to win series

Howeever, starting from this tuesday the :starwars: begin

NZ will of course be winning with wonderful team effort
:band:
in your dreams mate, 70% chance you got to be joking,

Polo23

International Debutant
How? Why would Styris play 4 day games when he is retired from tests? That makes no sense.

Of course Broom has done it the hard way, he had been one of the countries top batsmen for 3 or 4 seasons before he got his chance.

No one in the BlackCaps should have a free ride bar maybe Vettori, if you get injured then tough ****, you have to show the selectors you arent going to be a waste of a selection by producing runs on the field. Styris hasnt done that yet, so doesnt deserve his spot back.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Styris is one of those guys who looks great for his first 10 or 20 runs, and then inexplicably gets out to the most innocuous looking delivery.
Except when he goes onto to make 50, which by the way, he's done more often than McCullum and Oram combined.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
How? Why would Styris play 4 day games when he is retired from tests? That makes no sense.

Of course Broom has done it the hard way, he had been one of the countries top batsmen for 3 or 4 seasons before he got his chance.

No one in the BlackCaps should have a free ride bar maybe Vettori, if you get injured then tough ****, you have to show the selectors you arent going to be a waste of a selection by producing runs on the field. Styris hasnt done that yet, so doesnt deserve his spot back.
How about because there are no more domestic one dayers to be played this year? Indeed, there's hardly any domestic cricket being played at all over the next week or so, what with state 20/20 final. Styris completely missed the List A games BECAUSE HE WAS INJURED! HE HASN'T HAD THE OPPORTUNITY! And again, Styris had hardly had any match time before the July ODI's against England. Didn't stop him from producing a couple of match winning performances to help us win the series. He is proven quality, especially at home. Broom is iffy at best. To side with Broom because Styris got injured for a month is like saying we should dump Oram for Joseph Yovich.

Anyway, I classify the hard way as performing well enough to force your way into the side ahead of another underperforming player, not lucking out on the basis of an incumbent's misfortune.

Dick Rockett

Whoa Bahnz, where'd this rage come from?

Tbh Styris' selection probably has something to do with two things: he had the bad luck to get injured at a time when a lot of very good youngsters are coming through. The side has done well and the selectors are probably reluctant to mess about with it much. The second reason I suspect may have something to do with personality clashes with someone(s) within the NZ Cricket hierarchy. I wouldn't be surprised if people are taking a dim view of his texting indiscretion, not to mention the decision to can tests.

The fact is that we're not really missing the guy right now.

And Cricket God, aren't you wanted in the Cricinfo forums with all the other rabid, nonsensical Indian fanboys?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Tbh Styris' selection probably has something to do with two things: he had the bad luck to get injured at a time when a lot of very good youngsters are coming through. The side has done well and the selectors are probably reluctant to mess about with it much. The second reason I suspect may have something to do with personality clashes with someone(s) within the NZ Cricket hierarchy. I wouldn't be surprised if people are taking a dim view of his texting indiscretion, not to mention the decision to can tests.

And Cricket God, aren't you wanted in the Cricinfo forums with all the other rabid, nonsensical Indian fanboys?
It's amazing how often I agree with you about cricket and how rarely I agree with you about anything else. Truly remarkable.

Awesome post anyway. Sums it up perfectly.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

I apologise. Polo gets up my nose sometimes, but I shouldn't let it get the better of me. As for the selectors not wanting to mess with things, while I could sort of understand it if Broom had put on a great performance yet, he hasn't and I'll be against his retention in the side until he does. I also wondered whether he might be paying the price for giving up test matches. But as for his comments to Richardson, I doubt it. I don't see how they're any worse than Vettori visibly telling the English balcony to "get ****ed" after THAT match.