• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Nutter

U19 Debutant
What changes if any would everyone make to the NZ/India sides for the 1st ODI?

I'd bring in Styris for Broom and leave it at that personally. Really like our depth in batting again, and the bowling seems to be coming together nicely. Would like to see Thompson get a game sometime soon though.
ODI side

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Oram
Mills
Vettori
Butler
Southee
O'Brien

Too bowler heavy perhaps? They can all swing a bat...

James

Cricket Web Owner
ODI side

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Oram
Mills
Vettori
Butler
Southee
O'Brien

Haha, I always manage to forget someone. Elliott has to play of course given his form in Australia.

Some tough selections to make now.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Haha.............so its not quite Veni, Vidi, Vici for India............beaten again..............Well done Kiwis.

This will make a few chaps who were thinking of the No.1 ODI and T20 status think again.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
My concern is that ever since Moles took over we have consistently batted this way in limited overs cricket.

Most obviously, McCullum has played in an almost identical manner in every game since Moles took over. In most cases, imo, his scoring rate has been too slow for the game situation,

My impression is that Moles and the Black Caps think they are being terribly clever but actually are not. If players were just out of form it'd be ok, my problem is they are deliberately playing this way so it's unlikely to change.
Well they aren't perfect but they are winning. And on the flipside, their bowling has improved a **** load. Could we credit that to Moles?

A little tweaking and I think the batting can be really strong.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Yeah I've noticed it too. I think what McCullum has to do is cut out the walking down the pitch option. He already stands a few feet out of the crease.
Normally I would agree with you, however tonight he countered the swing by moving forward and did it very well.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
ODI side

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Oram
Mills
Vettori
Butler
Southee
O'Brien

When will people stop living off the memory of Southee slogging the England bowlers in a test match. Anyone can swing a bat, but 9/10 times he ain't going to come off. And O'brien? Please.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Ryder
Broom/Styris
Oram
Mills
Vettori
Butler
O'Brien
Taylor is coming in to early at 3 and Guptill perhaps should drop down as he can be shaky early against the new ball.

Ryder
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Elliot
Broom/Oram
Vettori/Butler/Mills
O'Brien

12th man Dave - that boy can field.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indians have issues with their bowling, and it's just not enough on flat wickets against top batsmen. They can't go in a match with just four of these; they have to have a fifth. With Harbhajan Singh being the best bowler on show, they have to play a second frontline spinner, if they have to take 10 wickets to win. With the more traditional limited-overs cricket series coming ahead, they can now settle in while batting and take it phase by phase. How many runs they score doesn't matter, because they always end up conceding more runs to the Kiwis, so they need to bowl carefully. They can pick their top for bowlers, but their efforts will come to nought if the part-time combination fails again.

There really isn't too much to read into T20, when there's so little international T20 action happening. They have two Tests and five 50-over matches to play to win. They have to play to win, not just save their stats and positions.

The prospect of Amit Mishra as a limited-overs leg-spinner should be explored in some time.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I hate to say it, but I wouldn't mind Thompson in for Southee at the moment. (In T20)

My Ideal ODI side:

Ryder
Guptill
Broom
Taylor
Elliot
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Southee
O'Brien

That's a gun side IMO, and I think it's time the experiment of McCullum at the top comes to an end. I'm all for it in 2020 cricket where a blast at the top can make an impact, but he's just not putting up the numbers in ODI cricket to persist with him opening.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, create the slogan yourself, and then make fun of the other guy for having that slogan. :D

I like it, I need to try it.
I didn't realise 0RI0N was the head of the NZC marketing department...

Just because because New Zealand Cricket came up with the campaign doesn't mean we can't find it crass and over the top.

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Elliot
Oram
Mills
Vettori
Southee
O'Brien

Last edited:

HMas

U19 12th Man
I hate to say it, but I wouldn't mind Thompson in for Southee at the moment. (In T20)

My Ideal ODI side:

Ryder
Guptill
Broom
Taylor
Elliot
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Southee
O'Brien

That's a gun side IMO, and I think it's time the experiment of McCullum at the top comes to an end. I'm all for it in 2020 cricket where a blast at the top can make an impact, but he's just not putting up the numbers in ODI cricket to persist with him opening.
McCullum should open and whos better Broom or Nathan McCullum??

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
So when you need 90 off 84 with 9 in hand, iyo it's perfect batting to win on the last ball??

fmd, we should've cruised it with 3 or 4 overs to spare, we batted brainlessly through the middle and arsed it on the last 3 balls, I'm stoked we limped over the line, but I use this forum to critique not cheerlead.
To steal a line: jeez, the glass is always half-empty with you isn't it?

Who cares if it wasn't "perfect batting" (whatever that is), or that we didn't win with 3-4 overs to spare, or whatever? We just beat the World Champions twice even though we were expected to roll over and die by pretty much everyone.

How about giving the Indians some credit for coming back? Or maybe giving McCullum some credit for batting through the innings while his colleagues all got out? Or that he pretty calmy and emphatically scored 9 runs of 3 balls to win the game?

Win or lose, NZ just doesn't seem to be able to ever do the right thing according to you. It was only a silly T20 slogfest anyway.

And James, you don't get off lightly either - you're a great guy, but that negative streak of yours isn't your best feature mate ;)

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain

James

Cricket Web Owner
Kneejerk. Totally unnecessary. Security at the cricket in NZ is fascist enough as it is, and they want more because of one thrown bottle?
I agree, completely kneejerk by the sounds of things.

I was at the Australia v NZ ODI at the SCG a few weeks ago and the security there are really tough on mexican waves, beer snakes, beach balls. You name it really.

Seems as though security and organisers alike want fans to stay in their seats and be quiet the entire time.