• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

bryce

International Regular
Everyone has bowlers from their youth that everyone thought were rapid and bowled over 130. I still remember in Auckland it was Tom Horrocks and Chris Pausma. It's utter bull****.
Haha yeah that's probaly right. I just remember when Dagg came up from Lindisfarne with his First XI for a match which Te Ahu was playing in the opposition and even Te Ahu's team-mates said the 15 year-old Dagg was quicker than him

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah, quoted for truth. This is even true for those who have been clocked by a speed-gun. Speed guns bought by local clubs are usually pretty good for getting a general idea of how fast someone bowls, but they do ocassionally malfunction and spit out crazy readings every 30 balls or so. Those clocked by speed guns will typically let people know about the fastest speed they were clocked at and not their average or their median.

A great example of this is someone I played against who I was told had been clocked at 134. I played him comfortably that day despite Dominic Thornley (NSW batsman who bowls part-time medium pace at about 120-125) working me over in the nets the following week. If this junior bowler was faster than 117 or so, I'm not here.
I remember playing against some guy called Anurag Verma a few years back. Everyone said he was around 130kmp, but Iooking back at it now he was probally only around 120kmp.

Flem274*

123/5
I remember playing against some guy called Anurag Verma a few years back. Everyone said he was around 130kmp, but Iooking back at it now he was probally only around 120kmp.
He couldn't hit 130 much in the U-29 WC lst year, though Malaysian pitches were probbably a bit on the slow side.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Haha yeah that's probaly right. I just remember when Dagg came up from Lindisfarne with his First XI for a match which Te Ahu was playing in the opposition and even Te Ahu's team-mates said the 15 year-old Dagg was quicker than him
Te Ahu would be lucky to bowl high 130s now and he's 23. He bowled 130s when he was 15? I doubt it.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
He couldn't hit 130 much in the U-29 WC lst year, though Malaysian pitches were probbably a bit on the slow side.
In England last year he was probably bowling a fraction slower than me and Dougie Bracewell. We were both getting clocked at around low 130s. I think we both maxed around 134.

Howsie

International Captain
In England last year he was probably bowling a fraction slower than me and Dougie Bracewell. We were both getting clocked at around low 130s. I think we both maxed around 134.
Doug Bracewell is pretty quick man, he gets quite alot of movement too. He doesn't really run up fast though he just hammers it down there.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
And you're giving away the bowling? :unsure:
No way, I don't think I ever said I was giving away bowling. Just that I'm now concentrating on improving my batting to a point where I'm not in direct competition with Tuffey/Mills/Martin for a seam bowler's spot.

Flem274*

123/5
Doug Bracewell is pretty quick man, he gets quite alot of movement too. He doesn't really run up fast though he just hammers it down there.
Depends on the difintion of quick I spose, by club standards than yea, but say internationals doubt it unless hes now quicker.

Good to see a guy who can move the ball though.

bryce

International Regular
Te Ahu would be lucky to bowl high 130s now and he's 23. He bowled 130s when he was 15? I doubt it.
Dagg was 15 so Te Ahu would have been a couple of years older, but yeah as you said above there were rarely ever any speed guns around so it's nothing but guesswork trying to put numbers to bowling speeds