• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
13 straight hours of cricket for five days, awesome.
Yeah, it's pretty damn good, isn't it? Have to get the No Doze out.

Really looking forward to this because, even though we're underdogs, there's something exciting watching a group of younger players trying to make their way on the international scene. Should be ITSTL.

Burgey

Series Result: 1-1
Top SA Runscorer: Smitteh
Top Aus Runscorer: Hussey
Top SA Wicket-taker: Steyn
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Siddle
Player of the Series: Steyn
Surprise Packet: SA - Morkel; Aus - Dougie
Dropped Player(s): Hilfy for McGain test two.
Miscellaneous Event: Dougie to get in strife for backchatting the crowd when they serve it up to him.

Top_Cat

The weird thing is on the WI tour, in the practice match he took 2/51 and 4/15 but didn't get a bowl for the rest of the series. When we were in trouble in the second Test and just couldn't make any breakthroughs and we had no options left, they still refused to give him a bowl. Even Hussey got a bowl before him!
Yeah exactly. Which means Ponting doesn't rate him (unlikely), he's not interested in bowling just wants to concentrate on his batting or he can't because of an injury he doesn't want to aggravate.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Yeah, it's pretty damn good, isn't it? Have to get the No Doze out.

Really looking forward to this because, even though we're underdogs, there's something exciting watching a group of younger players trying to make their way on the international scene. Should be ITSTL.
Yeah, love that. You get the feeling you could just possibly be seeing the start of an all-time great player.

The winter of night-time cricketing for me is over, bar the NZ-India tests. These matches start at 8.30 in the morning and run until 9.30 at night in the UK. The cricketing situation could not be more perfect.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah, love that. You get the feeling you could just possibly be seeing the start of an all-time great player.

The winter of night-time cricketing for me is over, bar the NZ-India tests. These matches start at 8.30 in the morning and run until 9.30 at night in the UK. The cricketing situation could not be more perfect.
Yes works beautifully for English times. For once looking forward to that alarm clock going off in midweek, as I will be settling down to a cricket-fest!

Yes agree with you guys, the idea of watching young players setting out on their Test careers is exciting. Hashim Amla is another player I have grown particularly fond of over recent months.

Top_Cat

And Micheal Hussey is bowling 20 overs every Shield Game? I find Katich more dangerous than Hussey any day, and he showed it albeit briefly in the Delhi (?) game last year. The whole argument of he's hardly bowled in Shield Games is of really no merit as far as part time bowling in tests are concerned. Essentially because they are inherently parttime, and used as 1. Shock option 2. To relieve the others. So to have bowled a truckload in FC games is hardly the prerequisite. And Katich has proved he can more than roll his arm over previously.
When you're talking something like left-arm wrist-spin, yeah you do need overs under the belt. It's pretty unlikely a wrist-spinner can land them consistently enough to trouble Test batsmen without match practice even as a part-time shock option. Let alone left-arm wristies, which even front-liners struggle to bowl well. It's not like someone who bowls seam-up meds. And yes, Hussey has been getting more overs for WA than Kat for NSW.

Yeah he had a good day in India but other (rare) times he's been given the ball, he's gone the journey. And that's not really a reflection of ability because he does give the ball a decent rip. He's just woefully under-done. If I was Ponting, I'd be hesitant to use him too.

Burgey

Heard Hussy interviewed during the Indian tour or back home (not sure which) on the radio, and he said Katich didn't want to bowl, despite being asked a few times.

Burgey

Yes works beautifully for English times. For once looking forward to that alarm clock going off in midweek, as I will be settling down to a cricket-fest!

Yes agree with you guys, the idea of watching young players setting out on their Test careers is exciting. Hashim Amla is another player I have grown particularly fond of over recent months.
Yeah, he batted really well out here - looked like getting a big score virtually every time he wlaked out. Hoping he doesn't go on with it this series :).

Top_Cat

Yeah, he batted really well out here - looked like getting a big score virtually every time he wlaked out. Hoping he doesn't go on with it this series :).
Considering he didn't score a ton in Aus, you get the feeling he'll fire this series. The Aussies should be pretty worried about him, I reckon.

Woodster

International Captain
Considering he didn't score a ton in Aus, you get the feeling he'll fire this series. The Aussies should be pretty worried about him, I reckon.
Typically wristy batsman of sub-continental descent, but also plays some beautiful punchy strokes through the off side and down the ground. His perceived weakness (England initially thought) was his ability to play the short ball, now he appears to have put the hook shot away and simply sways or ducks, thus eradicating any major problems he had with this type of delivery. He does excite me as a batsman.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Is there any chance that Prince will be playing the 1st test (tomorrow/today depending where you are)? Betfair are offering odds on Amla vs Prince for the 1st test, bizarre n'est pas?

Got some cash on Amla because assuming prince doesn't play he needs to score 1 run in the the test to win me £40. If Prince is playing then I just risked a lot more cash than I wanted to!

howardj

International Coach
If I had time off and didn't have a life, I could almost have 24 hours of non-stop cricket for the next four days.

10am-5pm: Sheffield Shield at the Gabba
6pm - 1am: South Africa v Australia
1am - 8am: Windies v England.

Uppercut

Is there any chance that Prince will be playing the 1st test (tomorrow/today depending where you are)? Betfair are offering odds on Amla vs Prince for the 1st test, bizarre n'est pas?

Got some cash on Amla because assuming prince doesn't play he needs to score 1 run in the the test to win me £40. If Prince is playing then I just risked a lot more cash than I wanted to!
Nah if one of them doesn't play the bet is void.

That sounds useless, but it's not. It means you can go around every website on the internet raking in free bets with no risk to your pocket.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
If I had time off and didn't have a life, I could almost have 24 hours of non-stop cricket for the next four days.

10am-5pm: Sheffield Shield at the Gabba
6pm - 1am: South Africa v Australia
1am - 8am: Windies v England.
Done it for the last four years tbh.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Nah if one of them doesn't play the bet is void.

That sounds useless, but it's not. It means you can go around every website on the internet raking in free bets with no risk to your pocket.
Um I'm confused, isn't that a contradiction? What would be the point?

Uppercut

Um I'm confused, isn't that a contradiction? What would be the point?
Well, in order to get a free bet from a website when you sign up, you have to make a bet with your own money and they match it. So in theory, you put £25 on Liverpool beating Real Madrid, and they give your account a £25 free bet (with no returned stake) to use on whatever you want. So you get the free bet, but you're risking £25 of your own to get it.

The trick is to put your own £25 on something that's guaranteed to be void, because if it is, you still get a free bet (to put on whatever you like) without risking your hard-earned cash. Or in my case, cash your university throws at you for no reason.