• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the no.1 spinner of the Post Packer Era?

Who will your spinner for the Post Packer XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Did he take spin bowler to a level greater than that was displayed by O'Riely and Grimmet? And Remember Murali and Kumble are Warne's compariots, and have a big chunk of making spinners more palatable for the public. Warne always gets more praise than he actually deserves, while others are forgotten for making spin bowling a threat in current era.
I don't think people were rushing into spin really because of Murali and Kumble. Whilst champions in their own right, they do not have as much draw as Warne. In fact, I'd say maybe only 2-3 other cricketers did in Test history. Warne was magic, he is the big-game player. Nevermind spinners, no other cricketer created the human-highlight reel that Warne did.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: Murali not getting LBWs. The fact that he's spinning the ball so far makes it very difficult for the umpire to gauge whether or not the ball is hitting the stumps. I agree that he probably doesn't get as many as he could in his favour, but when the term "doubt" is used, I can understand why the umpires don't give them all that often.

One thing that both Murali and Warne have stopped though, is the idea that you can lunge forward, get hit on the pad and expect to be given not out because you are forward. Which is bloody fantastic.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The only team Warne was really not a threat against was India. Against SL in SL he was better than he'd been anywhere. Generally, Warne outperfomed Murali every time they met. In fact, the last time Warne played in Sri Lanka and was MOTS McGrath didn't even play.

The fact is, since McGrath emerged Warne was better without McGrath than McGrath was without Warne. McGrath himself regards Warne as the greatest bowler ever - nevermind spinner. Warne didn't have much of a reliance on McGrath. I'm not going to get into it...but Warne was our greatest match winner - this in a team full of them.
jeez mate, suddenly peer opinion becomes important, is it??????????? ;)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Mind you, aside from Mushie and Kumble, there weren't that many Test-class leggies around when Warne started too. Suddenly every team wanted one which resulted in experimentation with some really ordinary bowles who wouldn't have gotten a look-in otherwise. Just showed that to be a leggie was one thing but to be a really good one was a different thing entirely.

But yeah, Warne is often credited with being the first serious one-day leggie. Again, really only in Aus because all you have to do is see Pakistan's success with Mustaq in the 1992 WC to see he was an awesome ODI bowler well before Warne was.
Harsh on Qadir IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's always important, but, for the 100th time, when it's the only thing you have it's kind of meaningless.
And for the 100th time again, it is NOT the only thing me or anyone has...

On the other hand, a better SR is the ONLY thing that you have...