• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff given his last throw of the dice. At his best, you'd expect him to snaffle Ramdin in no time, but this smacks of desperation to me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Five wickets is a huge ask in one session unless you have at least one truly world class bowler, which we don't. Those arguing that Strauss should have enforced the follow-on are looking spot on tbf.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Five wickets is a huge ask in one session unless you have at least one truly world class bowler, which we don't. Those arguing that Strauss should have enforced the follow-on are looking spot on tbf.
TBH, they are 5 lower order wickets, so we shouldn't struggle to knock over Powell, Edwards and Benn if we can get there. And I would defend the decision of Strauss, at that stage he had his two tall, hit-the-deck seamers injured (those who were anticipated to do the most damage) so you can't blame him for wanting to give them a bit of time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, they are 5 lower order wickets, so we shouldn't struggle to knock over Powell, Edwards and Benn if we can get there. And I would defend the decision of Strauss, at that stage he had his two tall, hit-the-deck seamers injured (those who were anticipated to do the most damage) so you can't blame him for wanting to give them a bit of time.
It was my view at the time too - although Fred was never going to recover, Harmy might have benefited from a rest. As would the others. However, if WI survive the last howevermany overs, it'll have been the wrong call.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It was my view at the time too - although Fred was never going to recover, Harmy might have benefited from a rest. As would the others. However, if WI survive the last howevermany overs, it'll have been the wrong call.
I can understand why Strauss didn't enforce the follow-on. I didn't really agree with it, but given the fitness of Flintoff and Harmison, I can see the logic.

The manner in which England batted and the time they batted on for was certainly worthy of criticism though, for mine, and I'm known for being pretty conservative with these things.