• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
I hope either zaheer or ishant get injured in the odis and are ruled out of the tests,Then
the selectors picking spinner balaji and rookie kulkarni over sreesanth,irfan,r.p
will be shown up and i bet the replacement will play before either balaji or kulkarni.
If you have to pick a team just by seeing domestic stats then anybody can pick
the players ,
this is getting tiresome.there is no satisfying all people.if the selectors ignore domestic stats then one faction will be up in arms.if they place faith in those in those players who have performed well domestically another faction will be up in arms as they want their pet player to be in the team even if he doesnt deserve it.

ret

International Debutant
oh then when the pitch assits a bit and we are 0-2 then who will save us?
probably not Dravid [on his recent form] as if the pitch has something for the quicks [or even spin for that matter] he is more likely to fail than do a rescue act. i would put m money on Bhajji helping India put a decent total with a slog filled 50 than Dravid :p

having a sporting pitch might not be a bad idea though as it makes the India quicks more lethal and there are always chances of someone like Sehwag taking the game away from NZ or someone like Gambhir setting it up for India

if you see the last few series, the contribution of Sehwag-Gambhir has been immense

anyways, feel free to visualize Dravid hitting a double and helping India :)

PS it would help if we get out of the mindset of India collapsing. if it happens it happens, no point in imagining all that esp with the squad that India has got now

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
I hope either zaheer or ishant get injured in the odis and are ruled out of the tests,Then the selectors picking spinner balaji and rookie kulkarni over sreesanth,irfan,r.p will be shown up and i bet the replacement will play before either balaji or kulkarni. If you have to pick a team just by seeing domestic stats then anybody can pick the players ,
Sreesanth bowled mostly rubbish in the Duleep Trophy and clearly isn't ready for test cricket yet. Irfan Pathan had a good domestic season but failed to impress (just like Balaji) in Sri Lanka; had he been selected, it would've been for balance and based on his domestic stats (so much for your argument ...). RP Singh was quite pathetic throughout the domestic season and probably isn't even fit, let alone match-fit. If you had argued for a reasonable candidate such as Praveen Kumar, you may have had a point. Besides him, Balaji and Kulkarni are probably our best bets and this sends a good message to domestic cricketers as well.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Sreesanth bowled mostly rubbish in the Duleep Trophy and clearly isn't ready for test cricket yet. Irfan Pathan had a good domestic season but failed to impress (just like Balaji) in Sri Lanka; had he been selected, it would've been for balance and based on his domestic stats (so much for your argument ...). RP Singh was quite pathetic throughout the domestic season and probably isn't even fit, let alone match-fit. If you had argued for a reasonable candidate such as Praveen Kumar, you may have had a point. Besides him, Balaji and Kulkarni are probably our best bets and this sends a good message to domestic cricketers as well.
sreesanth took 5 wickets on the flat chennai wicket where kulkarni was also playing
,Sreesanth was not dropped for his performance but as he was injured so now he
is fit he should have been back,and domestic matches are no way to judge a international
player ex- shewag,In odis you cannot judge irfan he has gone back to his old action
and i am hopeful he will do well.R.p singh bowls well in away tours and anyday
irfan,sreesanth,r.p singh even half fit are better than balaji,kulkarni

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
this is getting tiresome.there is no satisfying all people.if the selectors ignore domestic stats then one faction will be up in arms.if they place faith in those in those players who have performed well domestically another faction will be up in arms as they want their pet player to be in the team even if he doesnt deserve it.
because stats can be misleading,Balaji lacks pace to play at international level and kulkarni is raw and will sit on his back the whole tour,In past also we had medium pacers being leading wicktakers but they were not selected ,selectors are their to see the talent in the
guy sometimes they can be wrong but mostly they will be right

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
probably not Dravid [on his recent form] as if the pitch has something for the quicks [or even spin for that matter] he is more likely to fail than do a rescue act. i would put m money on Bhajji helping India put a decent total with a slog filled 50 than Dravid :p

having a sporting pitch might not be a bad idea though as it makes the India quicks more lethal and there are always chances of someone like Sehwag taking the game away from NZ or someone like Gambhir setting it up for India

if you see the last few series, the contribution of Sehwag-Gambhir has been immense

anyways, feel free to visualize Dravid hitting a double and helping India :)

PS it would help if we get out of the mindset of India collapsing. if it happens it happens, no point in imagining all that esp with the squad that India has got now
In indian wins abroad dravid has contribued immensely even as he was out of form at perth he scored a 90 odd in first innings,He is crucial to india sucess .

ret

International Debutant
you don't have to hope for some key players to get injured just because selectors left out someone you thought should have been on the plane to NZ

btw here is a question to all, do you think that selectors did the right thing by selecting the test squad so early or should they have done that after a few ODIs esp to see who is doing well? i guess there are pros and cons for both sides

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I haven't verified the stats, but it was reported that Balaji has picked up 43 wickets at 19 this Ranji season, while Praveen Kumar has picked up just 18 at 37 each. When one guy picks up twice the wickets at half the average, there really is no justification for not picking him. Tough luck Praveen, but 18 @ 37 are horrible stats.

ret

International Debutant
In indian wins abroad dravid has contribued immensely even as he was out of form at perth he scored a 90 odd in first innings,He is crucial to india sucess .
heard that so many times :laugh: .... let's hope he doesn't disappoint fans

adharcric

International Coach
sreesanth took 5 wickets on the flat chennai wicket where kulkarni was also playing,Sreesanth was not dropped for his performance but as he was injured so now he is fit he should have been back,and domestic matches are no way to judge a international player ex- shewag,In odis you cannot judge irfan he has gone back to his old action and i am hopeful he will do well.R.p singh bowls well in away tours and anyday irfan,sreesanth,r.p singh even half fit are better than balaji,kulkarni
Sreesanth took 5 for 167 at over 4 rpo and was very inconsistent throughout the match. The selectors could have taken a chance and hoped that he's back to his best by the time he's needed, but I don't mind their decision to opt for reliable domestic performers. Pathan hasn't accomplished any more than Balaji as a test cricketer so I'm not sure why you're pushing his case so strongly. Once again, you continue to ignore the reality of RP Singh's poor form and lack of match fitness. Balaji and Kulkarni may or may not be the real deal in NZ, but it's hard to argue a case for Sreesanth, RPS or Irfan over them right now. Pathan only had the balance factor going for him and Sreesanth wasted a great opportunity to prove that he's ready to return to test cricket.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to see some of the NZ lineups being picked...there's no room for the likes of Scott Styris, Jeetan Patel or James Franklin who's been doing very well in the State Twenty20.

It kinda disproves the nay-sayers who thought NZ had no depth left. Test cricket is still a problem, but in Twenty20 and ODI's, I think we've got a very healthy cupboard.

Athlai

Not Terrible
James Franklin has been dominating in all domestic cricket this year.

Anyway, that India the rockstars of cricket ad is terrible.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
In terms of the younger guys coming through: Hamish Rutherford, Kane Williamson and Trent Boult have been impressive. Corey Anderson's had a disappointing season so far but he's still only 17.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I forgot to add Jamie How to that list, despite his current form...his ODI stats aren't all that bad with a century and seven fifties at 34.4.

AND, Daniel Flynn...though he's found the shorter form a bit of a struggle so far.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In terms of the younger guys coming through: Hamish Rutherford, Kane Williamson and Trent Boult have been impressive. Corey Anderson's had a disappointing season so far but he's still only 17.
is Hamish Rutherford related to Ken?