• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Durham_CCC

School Boy/Girl Captain
i was surprised at how the kiwis struggled against a part timer like david hussey.that doesnt bode well for them in the t20s and odis because our strategy in recent times is to use as many spinners as we can in the middle overs.it remains to be seen whether we can do the same in new zealand.
Wickets wont spin much for Harbhajan and co.

Should be a very close series, cant wait for the test matches.

masterblaster

International Captain
Agree totally..your assessment of India's position tallies with mine.Another important factor that will work to our advantage is that NZ will be counting on us not being as good in their conditions..you can make that out from the tone of some posts here.I feel this under-estimation will lead to their downfall.They really don't have much quality in their personnel except a couple of them.
Vettori is the real key here. I hope our batsmen play him well and not allow him to dominate with the ball. The New Zealand top order looks pretty fragile and our new ball bowlers should have a reasonable amount of success.

A couple of players I'm worried about are Ross Taylor and Kyle Mills. Mills has been pretty good in Australia and could worry some of the Indian batsmen in the New Zealand conditions. Martin Guptill is another player to watch out for as he will punish any crap bowled by Zaheer and Ishant.

The contest is really against New Zealand's bowling and fielding side against our batting. I'm expecting our bowling to be too good for the New Zealand top order, but our batsmen have to watch out for New Zealand's bowling. New Zealand's strategy should definitely be to bowl to us first. If we bat first and they dismiss us cheaply for 180 on a green, seaming wicket then we are definitely going to find it tough.

ret

International Debutant
India have a good chance of winning in NZ .... the Indian pacers are good enough to pick up 20 wkts, if the conditions are sporting

my squad for the first 2 ODIs

- Sehwag
- Tendulkar
- Gambhir
- Yuvraj
- Raina
- Dhoni
- Y Pathan
- Ojha / Bhajji
- Zaheer
- Ishant
- Munaf / Praveen

my squad for the first test

- Sehwag
- M Vijay
- Gambhir
- Tendulkar
- VVS
- Yuvraj
- Dhoni
- Mishra / Bhajji
- Zaheer
- Ishant
- Munaf

James

Cricket Web Owner
I quite fancy India's chances on this tour. We are a better side than Australia at this point, maybe though not at the level of South Africa yet. It will be interesting to see how we travel, although I'm quietly confident that we will do better than we did in 2002. I'm expecting Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma to perform really well.
For sure, this Indian team will be more of a challenge than the Australian team we just played. I expect it to be a very close one-day series, but I think the Kiwis will go down in the Tests 2-0.

Will be really interesting to see how Ishant Sharma goes in NZ conditions. Expecting big things from him.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
India have a good chance of winning in NZ .... the Indian pacers are good enough to pick up 20 wkts, if the conditions are sporting

my squad for the first 2 ODIs

- Sehwag
- Tendulkar
- Gambhir
- Yuvraj
- Raina
- Dhoni
- Y Pathan
- Ojha / Bhajji
- Zaheer
- Ishant
- Munaf / Praveen

my squad for the first test

- Sehwag
- M Vijay
- Gambhir
- Tendulkar
- VVS
- Yuvraj
- Dhoni
- Mishra / Bhajji
- Zaheer
- Ishant
- Munaf
you know dravid is in the test squad right?;or do you think they will just pick him in the squad and not play him?.he is one the few in the squad who have been to new zealand before.

masterblaster

International Captain
you know dravid is in the test squad right?;or do you think they will just pick him in the squad and not play him?.he is one the few in the squad who have been to new zealand before.
Absolutely. It's ridiculous to leave out Rahul Dravid when the team is in New Zealand. He'd be the first person on my list when deciding on a team.

Howsie

International Captain
Man I've been waiting for this series for a long time, can't wait for India to get here. It feels like forever since they were last here. The 20/20's and ODI's are going to be close. I really don't like India, but I enjoy watching alot of there players. India will win the 20/20's 2-0, but I think NZ will win the ODI's. 3-2 or 3-1, depending on the whether.

The ODI team I would like to see:

1.Jesse Ryder*
2.Martin Guptill
3.Ross Taylor
4.Grant Elliot*
5.Jacob Oram$
6.Brendon McCullum
7.Nathan McCullum$
8.Kyle Mills$
9.Ian Butler$
10.Tim Southee$
11.Daneil Vettori$

*Bowling Option
$Bowler

I think this team here gives New Zealand a very good balance. And the thing I really like about it is the whole team can bat. It also gives us very good hitting power with Grant Elliot being the only knock-around guy. If Oram can't play Franklin would come into the team, and I would push Brendon McCullum up to five and put Franklin at six. The reason I want McCullum down the order is that Moles want's to conserve wickets at the start, so why waste McCullum up the top if we are going to do that. Save him for the Batting powerplay with the likes of Oram, McCullum, and Mills as well as Butler and Southee.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Man I've been waiting for this series for a long time, can't wait for India to get here. It feels like forever since they were last here. The 20/20's and ODI's are going to be close. I really don't like India, but I enjoy watching alot of there players. India will win the 20/20's 2-0, but I think NZ will win the ODI's. 3-2 or 3-1, depending on the whether.

1.Jesse Ryder*
2.Martin Guptill
3.Ross Taylor
4.Grant Elliot*
5.Jacob Oram$
6.Brendon McCullum
7.Nathan McCullum$
8.Kyle Mills$
9.Ian Butler$
10.Tim Southee$
11.Daneil Vettori$

*Bowling Option
$Bowler

I think this team here gives New Zealand a very good balance. And the thing I really like about it is the whole team can bat. It also gives us very good hitting power with Grant Elliot being the only knock-around guy. If Oram can't play Franklin would come into the team, and I would push Brendon McCullum up to five and put Franklin at six. The reason I want McCullum down the order is that Moles want's to conserve wickets at the start, so why waste McCullum up the top if we are going to do that. Save him for the Batting powerplay with the likes of Oram, McCullum, and Mills as well as Butler and Southee.
that is a very good odi and t20 team and you are right about it being close.it could go 3-2 either way but i like our chances.if we get some early wickets then we can restrict the kiwis to a resonable score which our batting lineup can chase down.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain

1.Jesse Ryder*
2.Martin Guptill
3.Ross Taylor
4.Grant Elliot*
5.Jacob Oram$
6.Brendon McCullum
7.Nathan McCullum$
8.Kyle Mills$
9.Ian Butler$
10.Tim Southee$
11.Daneil Vettori$

*Bowling Option
$Bowler

Butler seems to be bowling with decent pace and could be selected as just a bowler who bats a bit. I was surprised at the pace he generated in that 20/20 game. 135-140 ish for most of the evening. Last I heard he had tried to turn himself into a batsman who bowled a bit of medium pace, because of his back injuries, so I was thinking little dibbly dobly Nathan Astles or jesse ryder type bowling, but he seemed to be bowling well. He could be selected for NZ in the same category as Southee, OBrien, Mills and co.

Also quite impressed with Nathan McCullum as a one day, 20/20 player.

That really helps in terms of depth in NZ cricket.

Gutpill
McCullum
Ryder
Taylor
Elliott
Broom/Styris
Oram
Vettori
Southee
Mills
OBrien/Butler/McCullum/

ret

International Debutant
i have written my recommendation for the squad and not what India is likely to play [a mr obvious 11] .... i don't see Dravid making a great impact on the tour [unless the pitch is a batting beauty or he cashes on an rampaging Sehwag inning] and m hoping that he does not turn out to be a liability on the field .... i guess giving M Vijay a chance would be a decent option :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG5Bk93RMks

^ that's ian chappell's take on boycott and some of it could be applied to dravid

Last edited:

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
i have written my recommendation for the squad and not what India is likely to play [a mr obvious 11] .... i don't see Dravid making a great impact on the tour [unless the pitch is a batting beauty or he cashes on an rampaging Sehwag inning] and m hoping that he does not turn out to be a liability on the field .... i guess giving M Vijay a chance would be a decent option :)

YouTube - Ian Chappell humiliates Geoffrey Boycott

^ that's ian chappell's take on boycott and some of it could be applied to dravid
considering the conditions in nz i would think an experienced dravid would be more valuable than a guy who will play his 2nd test.this is a make or break test series for dravid-if he fails then i am sure he will retire or forced out-there are a lot of youngsters waiting in the wings to take his place.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer

YouTube - Ian Chappell humiliates Geoffrey Boycott

oh then when the pitch assits a bit and we are 0-2 then who will save us?

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I hope either zaheer or ishant get injured in the odis and are ruled out of the tests,Then
the selectors picking spinner balaji and rookie kulkarni over sreesanth,irfan,r.p
will be shown up and i bet the replacement will play before either balaji or kulkarni.
If you have to pick a team just by seeing domestic stats then anybody can pick
the players ,