• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This day has, BTW, been a really rather nice exception to the poor-over-rates rule which you see in just about every Test currently. Even despite a delayed start, looks like we're going to get the 90 overs in before the scheduled close. Had the start not been delayed, we might've got 100-105 overs in today, which I can't recall ever seeing in the 17 years I've been watching Test cricket.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
This day has, BTW, been a really rather nice exception to the poor-over-rates rule which you see in just about every Test currently. Even despite a delayed start, looks like we're going to get the 90 overs in before the scheduled close. Had the start not been delayed, we might've got 100-105 overs in today, which I can't recall ever seeing in the 17 years I've been watching Test cricket.
I think I'd rather watch some decent bowling though...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive never been overly bothered about overrates.

Id rather have 80 overs of fast bowling rather than 100 from part time spinners and medium pacers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think I'd rather watch some decent bowling though...
Ive never been overly bothered about overrates.

Id rather have 80 overs of fast bowling rather than 100 from part time spinners and medium pacers.
It's perfectly possible to have good seam-bowling bowling 15 overs per hour. The only requistite is to cut-out needless fussing around and unneccessary delays. That has, with I think one exception, been done today. I've seen hundreds of days where most of the bowling has been done by spinners and seamers of unremarkable speed, and the over-rates have still been desultory.

Obviously the bowling today has been uninspiring - that's hardly surprising on this deck.

shivfan

Banned
Good to see the WI bowling the required overs, especially when the teams of Lloyd and Richards were subjected to so many complaints in the years gone by....
:laugh:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Proper pavilion there, Freddie sat around on the steps having a cuppa. I really hope the whole pitch farce will turn up to be a blessing in disguise and the ARG is restored to its former glory.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Proper pavilion there, Freddie sat around on the steps having a cuppa. I really hope the whole pitch farce will turn up to be a blessing in disguise and the ARG is restored to its former glory.
Cricinfo were running a story yesterday that the WICB were unwilling to ever go back to the SVR Sandpit, so it might not be out of the question.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Cricinfo were running a story yesterday that the WICB were unwilling to ever go back to the SVR Sandpit, so it might not be out of the question.
Read that myself, but put the whole "never again" comment more down to a gut reaction than any rational decision. Comercially it seems very wasteful to build a ground, then demolish it.

shivfan

Banned
Read that myself, but put the whole "never again" comment more down to a gut reaction than any rational decision. Comercially it seems very wasteful to build a ground, then demolish it.
Viv was saying North Sound should only be used to play football....

That might be a better use for it.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Viv was saying North Sound should only be used to play football....

That might be a better use for it.
Really? Heard him on the radio earlier and they asked him whether he thought WI might never go back there for test cricket and he was adamant that they would and it was just a question of the wrong people being in the wrong jobs.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hard to know what to make of that. Very good innings but thrown away at an important time, sacrificing a big score and exposing Englands premier batsman.
If it was Bell he would have been castigated thats for sure. Should take the posatives but we will obviously have to wait a good while before we can tell if he is test class or not.

shivfan

Banned
Really? Heard him on the radio earlier and they asked him whether he thought WI might never go back there for test cricket and he was adamant that they would and it was just a question of the wrong people being in the wrong jobs.
BBC SPORT | Test Match Special Blog

"I would recommend they play soccer there from now on. The amount of funding it would take to make that into a Test venue again will be significant. I would advise the government and local cricket association to put their resources into restoring the Recreation Ground. The West Indies Cricket Board will not go back to the Viv Richards Stadium. We are not prepared to take the risk."

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
BBC SPORT | Test Match Special Blog

"I would recommend they play soccer there from now on. The amount of funding it would take to make that into a Test venue again will be significant. I would advise the government and local cricket association to put their resources into restoring the Recreation Ground. The West Indies Cricket Board will not go back to the Viv Richards Stadium. We are not prepared to take the risk."
Thats a quote from Donald Peters..not Sir Viv

Anyway, Jimmy off the mark again

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is the point in Anderson as Night-watchman? Don't really like them at all really but seems even more needless in this situation.