• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nope. Now a dibbly dobbly. In fact he's NDs Diamanti or Bowden.
Mate this is worse in the "living under a rock" department than me not knowing about Styris/Richardson-gate.

Butler, as of his serious and ongoing/permanent injury circa late-2004, will never bowl fast again.

He performs the Diremanti role pretty much.
I heard he was slower but I didn't realise THAT slow. :(

He has one of the lowest economies of the domestic season though, so surely he must offer SOMETHING.

Why can't we get these guys quitting fast bowling and becoming world class legspin bowlers. That'd be gun.

thierry henry

International Coach
tbh the heroic/inspiring nature of Butler's return to the side shouldn't be underestimated, it is Richardson-esque (except Richardson wasn't injured) in that he pretty much completely lost the one thing that made him an international cricketer but has worked his way back as a different cricketer altogether.

Post-injury he couldn't even make the ND side but slaved away in club cricket and ND "A" sides as a middle-order bat, working on his batting all the while, and then moved to Otago so that he could get a run in List A as a bits and pieces player.

Flem274*

123/5
Or alternatively, they could stop breaking down.

Mitchell McClennaghan will probably get a call up within two years if the talkback crowd keep screaming for "the new Bond"

Then we'll have James Anderson without the deadly swing.

Just watching the guy on the replay today, he has Anderson head drop, with Harmisons bounce and pace, but also Harmisons accuracy and movement, which basically means he sucks.

I will agree with Doull that he has potential though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
tbh the heroic/inspiring nature of Butler's return to the side shouldn't be underestimated, it is Richardson-esque (except Richardson wasn't injured) in that he pretty much completely lost the one thing that made him an international cricketer but has worked his way back as a different cricketer altogether.

Post-injury he couldn't even make the ND side but slaved away in club cricket and ND "A" sides as a middle-order bat, working on his batting all the while, and then moved to Otago so that he could get a run in List A as a bits and pieces player.
But he seems to have made the squad on the back of his bowling rather than his batting, as he hasn't even scored 20+ in a T20 this season.

Flem274*

123/5
Sorry you must of misread the article - it's refering to selection for the twenty20 game v Australia on Sunday, not some club cricket charity match at Fitzherbert park.
Haha what? Have you seen Thompson bowl?

"0h n0ez h3z sL0w, w3 n33d farst b0wlaz n0t mediUm farstz, they sux"

thierry henry

International Coach
I heard he was slower but I didn't realise THAT slow. :(

He has one of the lowest economies of the domestic season though, so surely he must offer SOMETHING.

Why can't we get these guys quitting fast bowling and becoming world class legspin bowlers. That'd be gun.
tbh I was actually surprised when I saw him on TV, he was bowling quicker than expected off a full run and the keeper was still standing back.

Nevertheless I have pretty good sources on Butler and by all accounts his reduction in pace will be permanent and he will pretty much be restricted to limited overs cricket as he'll never be able to bowl spells of longer than a few overs.

Honestly, if he can bowl accurately and smartly at 130kph he'll be a better bowler than he was in the first place anyway!

thierry henry

International Coach
But he seems to have made the squad on the back of his bowling rather than his batting, as he hasn't even scored 20+ in a T20 this season.
He's a bowling all-rounder now I'd say, like Diamanti. I know he scored a few runs in the 50 over comp but he still only bats at about #8 tbf.

Flem274*

123/5
tbh I was actually surprised when I saw him on TV, he was bowling quicker than expected off a full run and the keeper was still standing back.

Nevertheless I have pretty good sources on Butler and by all accounts his reduction in pace will be permanent and he will pretty much be restricted to limited overs cricket as he'll never be able to bowl spells of longer than a few overs.

Honestly, if he can bowl accurately and smartly at 130kph he'll be a better bowler than he was in the first place anyway!
So true. Hated having him in the NZ side a few years back tbh, made us look so bad.

Flem274*

123/5
medium fast?

You're ****ting me.

Have YOU seen him bowl?

'But hez soz gud at da dumestics - must meanz hez gud for bLaK CaPz'
yep.

And yes generally a good domestic record means they should be first in line for a black caps spot, or do you have a revolutionary new way to decide who is the best?

He's accurate, gets swing, has variation, may only come down at 125-130kmh but that doesn't matter, if it did Sami and Tait would be good, what matters is movement and accuracy.

thierry henry

International Coach
So true. Hated having him in the NZ side a few years back tbh, made us look so bad.
lol, actually the last couple of times he was playing for NZ I recall the overseas commentators talking him up

Natwest Series 2004- "wow, this is what NZ desperately needed in the test series, a completely useless bowler who can bowl in the 140s"- English comms

First CH match 2004 (his last international)- "wow, look at teh pace, he's slightly faster than the other NZ bowlers! Who cares if he goes for 8 an over!"- Ch 9

Athlai

Not Terrible
yep.

And yes generally a good domestic record means they should be first in line for a black caps spot, or do you have a revolutionary new way to decide who is the best?

He's accurate, gets swing, has variation, may only come down at 125-130kmh but that doesn't matter, if it did Sami and Tait would be good, what matters is movement and accuracy.
Tait is quite good TBF.

Flem274*

123/5
lol, actually the last couple of times he was playing for NZ I recall the overseas commentators talking him up

Natwest Series 2004- "wow, this is what NZ desperately needed in the test series, a completely useless bowler who can bowl in the 140s"- English comms

First CH match 2004 (his last international)- "wow, look at teh pace, he's slightly faster than the other NZ bowlers! Who cares if he goes for 8 an over!"- Ch 9
:laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sometimes the best players aren't the greatest coaches.

If they're good coaches, then yes please.
Ricardo and someone else (Smithy?) was ranting about how they should be using Doully I believe and you know if Richardson is suggesting that Doull should be used that it might be beneficial to the team.