• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be honest, Haddin is hardly undeserving of the man of the match award tonight - he played the innings that essentially won the match for his side which is surely a strong factor in deciding who gets the award! I think Elliott was probably equally as deserving and had he carried on for another 3 or 4 overs and brought New Zealand closer to victory, I'm sure he would've received it. Forget about Clarke getting it the other day as a base for giving out the award, agreed that that was nonsense.
Don't think anyone would disagree with your logic to be fair. We're just being facetious about it after the Clarke award on Friday

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, the point though is that they're not even consistent. It's one thing to just have a different criteria, but they just seem to be flat-out biased.
I'd tend to agree there - might have to look into who decides the recipient of the award, perhaps someone neutral like the match referee would be the way to go.

Polo23

International Debutant
Haddin definitely deserved it tonight, just like Elliott deserved it in the last match.

But for the sake of consistency and to not be seen as deadset biased I would have thought Elliott should get it tonight.

Who chooses the MotM award by the way? It seems to me any Australian will get it regardless of what they do (even if it is detrimental to their team, eg Clarke the other night).

freckleslol

School Boy/Girl Captain
I can't stop thinking about that ball that O'Brien bowled to Hussey when he just got in that missed the top of middle by next to nothing... wasn't our luckiest game but there's not a lot you can do when Mills and Vettori waste time the way they did; amazing batting from Elliott too

Precambrian

Banned
I can't stop thinking about that ball that O'Brien bowled to Hussey when he just got in that missed the top of middle by next to nothing... wasn't our luckiest game but there's not a lot you can do when Mills and Vettori waste time the way they did; amazing batting from Elliott too
So true. That was the luck Aussies needed. From there NZ started to lose their grip in the match.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Awesome knock from Grant and good fight from the New Zealanders. They could have easily rolled over once Taylor was dismissed but they gave Australia a good fright and still showed that the Aussies are lacking quality (and quantity) in their bowling.

pup11

International Coach
Awesome knock from Grant and good fight from the New Zealanders. They could have easily rolled over once Taylor was dismissed but they gave Australia a good fright and still showed that the Aussies are lacking quality (and quantity) in their bowling.
I think Bracken having a shocking game after a long, long time and Clarke getting spanked is what really took the gloss off, of the Aussie bowling effort.

Johnson and Hopes were very good imo and Hilfenhaus' performance was a definite improvement from the last game, but the lack of the fifth bowler and Bracken having a poor game really hurt Australia.

This sort of thing could easily cost the Aussies upcoming games imo, because no matter how many times it has been said, the Australian bowling through the middle overs, looks predictable and pedestrian, and innumerable times Aussies have let the opposition off the hook in that period, due to this very problem.

pup11

International Coach
Haddin definitely deserved it tonight, just like Elliott deserved it in the last match.

But for the sake of consistency and to not be seen as deadset biased I would have thought Elliott should get it tonight.

Who chooses the MotM award by the way? It seems to me any Australian will get it regardless of what they do (even if it is detrimental to their team, eg Clarke the other night).
Greig explained this today, the MOTM is chosen by the bloke who is the state cricket director or something like that, of the ground in which the game is being played, so since the game today was played at Sydney, it was hardly surprising to see them give it to Haddin.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That over is good proof of why Johnson should not be picked.

Instead of sitting on him, the set batsmen go after him and get him off quite well. He can't bowl line and length when required.
You were saying?

Awesome work from Haddin, Clarke, Huss, Ferguson (even if it was only 20 odd, get him in at 4/5 ffs), Johnners & Hopes tonight.

Precambrian

Banned
I think Bracken having a shocking game after a long, long time and Clarke getting spanked is what really took the gloss off, of the Aussie bowling effort.

Johnson and Hopes were very good imo and Hilfenhaus' performance was a definite improvement from the last game, but the lack of the fifth bowler and Bracken having a poor game really hurt Australia.
8 days is a long time for you?? :blink:

Cricinfo - 5th ODI: Australia v South Africa at Perth, Jan 30, 2009

Hilfenhaus looked nothing better than he looked last match, except that he had an already under-pressure top order chasing a huge total + No McCullum.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Its been excellent cricket from NZ. All the following contributed for being able to give a good fight to Aus in this series.

Awesome Commitment
Real Fighters of the game till the end!
Inspirational Fielding
Clever Captaincy
Bowling to the Field (knowing their limitations well and sticking to that with minimum errors)
Newcomers Cameo (Broom & Elliot Partnership)

Aren't they hot favorites now? Who says no!

inbox24

International Debutant
Johnson IMO won't have a successful international career (bowling average under 25) his will deffo be over 30 hopefully in all forms.

Save this post plz.

Precambrian

Banned
Its been excellent cricket from NZ. All the following contributed for being able to give a good fight to Aus in this series.

Awesome Commitment
Real Fighters of the game till the end!
Inspirational Fielding
Clever Captaincy
Bowling to the Field (knowing their limitations well and sticking to that with minimum errors)
Newcomers Cameo (Broom & Elliot Partnership)

Aren't they hot favorites now? Who says no!
Your avatar looks like a black box. Please make the shades of grey a bit stronger.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Johnson IMO won't have a successful international career (bowling average under 25) his will deffo be over 30 hopefully in all forms.

Save this post plz.

Today's win for Australia is much to be attributed to Johnson's bowling. He bowled excellently today and I hope he will learn more in his coming matches and expect him to be a lot better bowler in future than he is today!

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Save this post plz.
Yeah that Warne bloke wasn't successful hey, only averaged 25.5