• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not a double standard really. It's a realization of two distinct standards. In the English game, Anderson is a frustrating bowler. In the significantly less staffed West Indian game, Edwards is quite encouraging.
I think Uppercut's point is that the different ways of looking of similar players depending on the context of the team they are playing for gives people a tainted perspective on the actual quality of said team.

We'd automatically class "encouraging" as a more positive immediate thought than "frustrating" when trying to evaluate the sum of all the parts, even though the likely and potential output of those two players could be the same depending on which system they're coming from.
Yeah, exactly. What Mr. Mx says is absolutely correct, but it only works when comparing West Indian to West Indian and Englishman to Englishman. When you're comparing England and the West Indies, the tendency is to think along the lines of, "The Windies have Edwards, who is an encouraging bowler, while England have Anderson, who is a frustrating bowler" when in reality Anderson is the better player.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Edwards has been a good player recently though. I'd agree with you about how well he's played lately- I've been much impressed over the past year- he just isn't as good as Jimmy Andeson. I've never seen Edwards rip a team apart for absolutely nothing the way Anderson does, and his FC record is miles better too. Which comes back to the point about double standards- an encouraging Caribbean bowler is a frustrating English one.
Cricinfo Statsguru - FH Edwards - Test matches - Bowling analysis

Steulen

International Regular
He hasn't really done that lately though, barring the one game in New Zealand which followed exactly that storeline. :p
I was of the Anderson, 3 parts rubbish, 1 part gold fraternity myself but I must say it's becoming harder to maintain that. The guy's been good over the last year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My Pay TV reception has just dropped out for some strange reason. Not a good time, Foxtel.. not a good time at all.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
England team announced.
1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Ian Bell, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Andrew Flintoff, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Ryan Sidebottom, 10 Steve Harmison, 11 Monty Panesar

Mr Mxyzptlk

A decent fast bowler lacking match fitness, an average fast bowler lacking form, an even more average fast bowler, a world class fast bowler with fitness worries, and a spinner lacking confidence.

Hopefully West Indies can do something against this attack.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't believe Anderson has actually been dropped. I know it's been rumoured all week but I never truly expected it to happen. Just wow.

Harmison and Broad. Seriously.

Woodster

International Captain
A decent fast bowler lacking match fitness, an average fast bowler lacking form, a world class fast bowler with fitness worries, and a spinner lacking confidence.

Hopefully West Indies can do something against this attack.
Yes fair description of the England attack at the moment. Really looking forward to this Test series!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Amit Jaggernauth under immense pressure if he gets picked. He must know that if he doesn't take at least 5-6 in the match, his Test career could be over. I don't think that's an exaggeration on my part either.

EDIT: Benn is in. Shocking.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So we're batting. Will be interesting to see if we can keep our heads screwed on today. KP the huge wicket to get.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Fairly certain that Benn is in because of his batting. Furious right now. The epitome of a token spinner.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I do like Broad, I think he's potentially a star of the future for us. But I like him better instead of Harmy, if they are set on playing him.