• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Precambrian

Banned
I completely disagree with anyone resting from a Test series to allow them to play an ODI series under any circumstances.. Nothing's really going to change my mind on that.
It's your belief and I am entitled to mine, fair play.

It's like the brain vs heart talk. Brain would suggest rest when the body needs it. Heart would say anything but test matches.

Precambrian

Banned
Akram (except 92 wc), Younis, Ambrose, Walsh, Pollock, Donald, have all been great bowlers, but they failed to carry their teams to wc glory, to win a wc almost every member of the squad has to fire at some point of time or the main players have to extraordinary, but still one or two guys can't win you a world cup.
The difference is Australia had batsmen to back up their bowlers, and vice versa than one man or two man teams.

Precambrian

Banned
What you mean by drop him from the side altogether, Ponting even with his lingering wrist injury has been good without being his usual self, and the second problem is their isn't any viable option to pick as captain to replace Ponting, and most important thing is Ponting might be a poor test captain, but he is ceratinly not a poor ODI captain.
If he had a wrist injury, by playing more matches, he was only aggravating it right? Much better value would have been him taking a break and get his stuff sorted and comeback raring to go.

pup11

International Coach
The difference is Australia had batsmen to back up their bowlers, and vice versa than one man or two man teams.
That's exactly what i was saying, no matter how good McGrath and Warne might have been, they alone couldn't have won Australia world cups, they needed to be backed by an all-round team effort, which Australia have time and again produced in world cup tournaments for some time now.

pup11

International Coach
If he had a wrist injury, by playing more matches, he was only aggravating it right? Much better value would have been him taking a break and get his stuff sorted and comeback raring to go.
For the last ****ing time, Ponting hasn't himself backed out of the series, its entirely a decision made by the selection committee, and he can't do anything about it, Ponting has been bravely playing on with pain for his side since the Indian tour, because Australia needs every bit of experience at this point of time.

Ponting at 60% efficiency over his career would have a Test average of 34 and an ODI one of 26 :unsure:
Haha, yeah the 60% thing was brought up by Precam, but despite having a niggling injury issue, iirc Ponting has still been the 2nd highest run-scorer for Australia in both tests and ODI' against South Africa, so he is hardly dead weight on the team, that he is being made out to be.

Redbacks

International Captain
That's exactly what i was saying, no matter how good McGrath and Warne might have been, they alone couldn't have won Australia world cups, they needed to be backed by an all-round team effort, which Australia have time and again produced in world cup tournaments for some time now.
Why bother, he will just keep deflecting the real issues and thus run away from the premise of the argument. Not hard to do when you start with one assumption 'everyone else is wrong'.

This issue initially came up when it was suggested CA were hopeless to which I simply replied we have been using a rotation policy and managed to win 2 WC's during this time and we will continue to use it. But it's pointless, there will be some extenuating circumstance and the saga goes on ad infinitum!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, I never said it was going to happen. Just saying what needs to be done.

(4-1 and a 5-0 actually)
Reasonable chance at winning both series (considering we're one up here and the next series is at home). So either way we'll be moving up in the rankings. :cool:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Let me clarify this.

1. If the selectors really wanted Ponting to get rest, should he not be rested for the entire 5 matches? Instead of playing 1 match and then being rested?
Good God, you are the queen of pedantry. Richard, your throne has been usurped.

Present the data that suggests that resting a player after giving him one go in a series is such a folly that requires the perpetrators to be labelled with derogatory terms.

I tore open a packet of biscuits and ate just two, storing the rest for later. Oh dear, I've committed a heinous crime against humanity. I should either have consumed them all, or shouldn't have opened up the packet at all.

2. SA series is very important. But that is still almost a month from now. And if Ponting wanted some good rest before the series, should it not be scheduled towards the end of this series as opposed to the beginning?
Or they could rest him at the time when they felt he required it the most. If they wish they could play him for the last few games. They could play Ponting for 5 games at 60% efficiency

Or they could play him for one game, find out he's not all there, then rest him for a couple and them play him at 90% for the last two.

Or they could rest him for the entire series.

There are multiple permutations and combinations possible here, you don't just went out your spleen at them just because their decisions do not fit in perfectly with what you consider a Gold standard.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Good God, you are the queen of pedantry. Richard, your throne has been usurped.

Present the data that suggests that resting a player after giving him one go in a series is such a folly that requires the perpetrators to be labelled with derogatory terms.

I tore open a packet of biscuits and ate just two, storing the rest for later. Oh dear, I've committed a heinous crime against humanity. I should either have consumed them all, or shouldn't have opened up the packet at all.

Or they could rest him at the time when they felt he required it the most. If they wish they could play him for the last few games. They could play Ponting for 5 games at 60% efficiency

Or they could play him for one game, find out he's not all there, then rest him for a couple and them play him at 90% for the last two.

Or they could rest him for the entire series.

There are multiple permutations and combinations possible here, you don't just went out your spleen at them just because their decisions do not fit in perfectly with what you consider a Gold standard.
:laugh:

You cannot equate eating biscuits with playing One Day Internationals tbh.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Agreed, just shows what an immature prat Ponting actually is with this whole claiming of victory.

The headline is completely blown out of proportion too, if you read the article it didn't sound like it was an apology at all, but just clearing of the air.

Takes a man to do what Vettori did as I honestly don't think his original comments were inappropriate given what happened. At the same time it takes a 5 year old spoilt brat to somehow claim it as a victory the way Ponting did.
and aussies wonder how they are hated so much:laugh: