• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
What Vettori did was what all captains should do which is to reduce tensions, not inflame them. Look at Sydney 07/08 for an example of how not to captain. Vettori has been exceptional here and Ponting and Haddin come off looking like complete tools.
Yeah, agree with this.
Great stuff from Vettori, and I suppose the reaction from Ponting could be expected given how he acted previously.

It was really the only way things could be resolved.

'soz brad. dnt thnk u is a cheat. we kwl? c u on fri.
dan'
:laugh:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, nice from Vettori. This intrigues me...
Australian paceman Nathan Bracken said the side was concentrating on breaking its string of four straight one-day losses when it meets New Zealand at the MCG on Friday and may talk about the incident.

"If we want to win this series we've got to find smarter ways to twist the laws of the game, and if it means we've got to use that as a motivational thing then we have to," Bracken said.
:huh:

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
What Vettori did was what all captains should do which is to reduce tensions, not inflame them. Look at Sydney 07/08 for an example of how not to captain. Vettori has been exceptional here and Ponting and Haddin come off looking like complete tools.
I understand Vettori wants to calm it down, fair play to him,a bit of class........ but the whole situation and Pontings claim of victory just annoys me . Youre right, absolute arrogant, tool.

'soz brad. dnt thnk u is a cheat. we kwl? c u on fri.
dan'
:laugh::laugh:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
God why does Ponting have to air everything in the media. Honestly why can't even a text message be kept from the vultures now days?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Seriously, shut the hell up.

This discussion was done to death days ago.

The only person who knows whether or not Haddin is telling the truth is Haddin himself.

Even if Haddin did not feel that it was right and not say anything, how is that any different to a batsman who nicked one to the keeper and didn't walk? Ultimately no matter what you and I think a player "should" do, it's up to the umpires to enforce the laws of cricket on the field and they didn't. End of story.

Can we now go back to discussing the cricket instead of discussion what you think another player thinks they felt in an event that happened in under half a second that had no relevence to the final outcome.
seriously, I posted yesterday my time and today morning... I won't call that gap in between as "days".. unless your schooling is WAY different to mine.

Asking ppl to shut up in a forum = major :laugh: s. If you don't like it, don't post it. Last time I checked, this thread was about the ODIs between NZ and Aus and I am discussing about an issue that happened there... 8-)

And as for the point, how is it different to a batsman not walking when knowing it is out? Caught behinds are a lot more easier to judge for an umpire than something like this, for one. And secondly, I am not complaining about what he did (althought that was pretty pathetic IMO) but the fact that is jumping up and down about Vettori calling him out on it. And his responses have proved that he is as stupid as he seems....

And major :laugh: at some of the Aussie supporters here.. And ppl complain the indian posters here get defensive...... 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Outstanding from Vettori, not that I think he had to apologise at all ftr, but it's usually the best way to deal with illogical, irrational and emotional people.
In that case, time for me to apologize to some of the Aussie posters here... :p

Polo23

International Debutant
Ponting is known for bringing things up in the media that don't need bringing up, and making a big deal out of things that don't need to be discussed further. Hardly surprising he has done it again. Absolute tool.

This whole thing has seen my cringe factor for Australia go up a couple of notches. They really do nothing to help non-Australians like them in the slightest.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
seriously, I posted yesterday my time and today morning... I won't call that gap in between as "days".. unless your schooling is WAY different to mine.

Asking ppl to shut up in a forum = major :laugh: s. If you don't like it, don't post it. Last time I checked, this thread was about the ODIs between NZ and Aus and I am discussing about an issue that happened there... 8-)

And as for the point, how is it different to a batsman not walking when knowing it is out? Caught behinds are a lot more easier to judge for an umpire than something like this, for one. And secondly, I am not complaining about what he did (althought that was pretty pathetic IMO) but the fact that is jumping up and down about Vettori calling him out on it. And his responses have proved that he is as stupid as he seems....

And major :laugh: at some of the Aussie supporters here.. And ppl complain the indian posters here get defensive...... 8-)
Well the fact is, this topic has been done to death. Your post did not add anything new or original to the discussion. Neither is this one tbh. If the players themselves are over the incident then we as fans should let it go.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well the fact is, this topic has been done to death. Your post did not add anything new or original to the discussion. Neither is this one tbh. If the players themselves are over the incident then we as fans should let it go.
what new or original? SoC brought up keeping and I replied on what I had thought had happened... Is it like a rule here that we have to post only if we add something new or original to a discussion? I thought it was for us to post our opinions on relevant cricket stuff as per the thread..

And there is nothing to get over... When people talk about the CH series now, my mind goes to this event.. It will probably change once the next games come along but till then, this is going to be around.

And if you dont want the issue to be brought up again and again, try texting Ponting... Although I guess he will talk about your text in his next press conference then and claim a moral victory or something similar..... :p

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what new or original? SoC brought up keeping and I replied on what I had thought had happened... Is it like a rule here that we have to post only if we add something new or original to a discussion? I thought it was for us to post our opinions on relevant cricket stuff as per the thread..

And there is nothing to get over... When people talk about the CH series now, my mind goes to this event.. It will probably change once the next games come along but till then, this is going to be around.

And if you dont want the issue to be brought up again and again, try texting Ponting... Although I guess he will talk about your text in his next press conference then and claim a moral victory or something similar..... :p
Well I apologise for telling you to shut up.

I'm just over this whole saga as it's gone far beyond the cricket to now being a racist issue. That's right, I as an Australian feel marginalised by all the people who are calling all Australian's cheats or idiots or other such terms. So again, sorry for being aggressive towards you. I just ask that people get back to the cricket and not this issue which has blown massively out of proportion.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well I apologise for telling you to shut up.

I'm just over this whole saga as it's gone far beyond the cricket to now being a racist issue. That's right, I as an Australian feel marginalised by all the people who are calling all Australian's cheats or idiots or other such terms. So again, sorry for being aggressive towards you. I just ask that people get back to the cricket and not this issue which has blown massively out of proportion.
I never said the word cheat... I have been over this earlier in this thread... Cheating to me implies deliberation, like in this instance, had Haddin knocked the bails off with his gloves on purpose and then made it seem like a bowled... As I said, it is probably gamesmanship on his part but even by that standard, I feel what he did and then the way he subsequently had a go at Vettori was pretty low. In fact, I think Ponting bringing up a private text message as an apology to score some "points" is lower..

And what's with the racism???? I am sure you are better than that, mate... We are not allowed to call an idiot for what he is juz because he happens to be Australian????

But yes, I understand your frustration regarding the issue.. And no probs.. Shut up is not that big an insult.. I hear it often enough. :p

All good, mate.. Hope you guys have a better series from now. :)

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vettori sends Haddin an "apology" text

The whole handling of this matter seems childish to me.

Ponting claiming victory in public over a private text message. It's obvious that Vettori wants to put the matter to rest, even though he never said anything that would need an apology. Yet now, for the second time, Ponting is calling something what it isn't, and airing something private in public which his side also complained about.

Pathetic really.

Agreed, just shows what an immature prat Ponting actually is with this whole claiming of victory.

The headline is completely blown out of proportion too, if you read the article it didn't sound like it was an apology at all, but just clearing of the air.

Takes a man to do what Vettori did as I honestly don't think his original comments were inappropriate given what happened. At the same time it takes a 5 year old spoilt brat to somehow claim it as a victory the way Ponting did.

pup11

International Coach
Vettori sends Haddin an "apology" text

The whole handling of this matter seems childish to me.

Ponting claiming victory in public over a private text message. It's obvious that Vettori wants to put the matter to rest, even though he never said anything that would need an apology. Yet now, for the second time, Ponting is calling something what it isn't, and airing something private in public which his side also complained about.

Pathetic really.
I think ever since the SCG test against India, it seems Ponting has gotten really touchy about any criticism that comes his way or any of his teammate'.

Its good to stand-up for your teammates as the captain, but to stretch this whole thing after watching the replay of this incident is stupid, great stuff on Vettori part though to do this, but seriously poor form from Ponting to turn such good gesture from Vettori, into some sort of ego pleasing victory.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Holy ****, is Ponting an international cricket captain or a playground bully ****wit? That's the most childish reaction to a private exchange I've seen in a while. Vettori has commented on it, but only because he was asked - no doubt - as a result of Ponting's shameless bragging.

More proof that fans of the greyhounds will never, ever show any class whatsoever.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Well the fact is, this topic has been done to death. .
I dont think its been done to death. Im quite interested now. If you dont want to read about it just skip past those posts. You dont want to read about it so everyone else has to stop talking about it.... haha. One of the funniest things Ive read on here.

My next post is about NZ's batting but I just want to check with you if thats OK. Please grace me with your approval your majesty.:laugh:

pup11

International Coach
Nah, I'm a fan of Ferguson, but the call is pretty poor. His list-a record is atrocious, and he's not even having an outstanding OD season as it stands. A good season, yes, but the likes of Bailey and Klinger have a far better case afaic.
Anyways turning focus back on cricket, Ferguson imo too is a very gifted cricketer, he was almost considered a prodigy since a very young, and if you watch him bat once you can tell why.

He has got great range of shots, has very quick hands and good footwork to go with it, unlike previous seasons, this season he is batting with a lot of maturity and turning his starts into big scores, just score a very mature 89 in the OD game against the Vics, so he certainly is in red-hot form atm.

Having said that i agree its definitely bit of a hasty decision to pick him to play for Australia just on the basis of one impressive domestic season, but its bit of a punt they have taken and would be great if it comes off, Ferguson kind of reminds me of a young Michael Clarke in the he bats, and Clarke too really didn't had greatest of List A stats behind him when he made his international debut, but they were still much better Ferguson' stats though.