• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He's actually 24, but oh well.

Nah mate.. I can't believe you haven't heard of it.. It's coming this summer...

MNS Presents

A MNS production

for MNS pictures

Starring

MNS as all Sri Lankan cricketers

THE CURIOUS CASE OF SRI LANKAN CRICKETERS

Produced, Directed (and viewed alone) by MNS. :p

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting has played NZ 41 times in ODI's and in that time he has missed 12 matches.
Have to admit I thought it would have been higher than that.

Though I guess he didn't get rested too many times early in his career.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Then why not stop playing in such meaningless matches, and devote entire time for tests?
  • ODIs raise money for Tests.
  • ODIs allow for World Cups.
  • ODIs allow youngsters to get international experience in less meaningful games before being exposed to Tests (in cases where talent in a player exists for both forms).
  • People like Uppercut represent a very small percentage of cricket audiences; there's still a big demand for ODIs.

pup11

International Coach
As the captain, he should have communicated that "This is my team, no way they are going to play out of this mire without my leadership". I don;t think any sane selector would say no to that.
Sane selectors in Australia, that's certainly news to me...:blink:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That was 3 matches. This series is the first ever 5 match CH.
Assuming that there'd be a few games he missed as part of rotation policy during tri series.

Also, he broke his ankle sliding into a boarding at the SCG, and missed a subsequent series in NZ which would've involved some ODIs. IIRC it gave Damien Martyn a gig in the Test side again at his expense.

Precambrian

Banned
I repeat once again, the selectors rested him. You can write out all the fictional monologues you want, fact is humans need rest. Your last paragraph has no relevance since Ponting had no say in the matter. If Ponting did have enough clout among the selectors to sway tham, Symonds would have been on the plane to SA.
Then the CA idiots have proved to total wankers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
  • People like Uppercut represent a very small percentage of cricket audiences; there's still a big demand for ODIs.
How true is that though? I mean, more people show up or tune in to watch an ODI than a test, and I'm sure they all enjoy it. I do, too. But what if you asked a random cricket fan ahead of a series: would you rather your country win the tests or the ODIs? Don't you think the majority would take the tests?

Athlai

Not Terrible
How true is that though? I mean, more people show up or tune in to watch an ODI than a test, and I'm sure they all enjoy it. I do, too. But what if you asked a random cricket fan ahead of a series: would you rather your country win the tests or the ODIs? Don't you think the majority would take the tests?
I know a lot of people who don't give a damn about Tests yet follow ODI's.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, even here which is regarded as a "Test loving country" I know loads and loads of people who only get into cricket when they get the colours on.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Some people follow Test cricket, but support in ODIs. Rather the attraction of seeing a completed match in one day, especially if they are going to attend the game.

Precambrian

Banned
  • ODIs raise money for Tests.
  • ODIs allow for World Cups.
  • ODIs allow youngsters to get international experience in less meaningful games before being exposed to Tests (in cases where talent in a player exists for both forms).
Sorry I didnt clarify I was telling from a veteran like Ponting's pov.

I do understand ODIs are needed to finance the game, but I cannot stand such hypocrisy like ODIs are not meant to be taken seriously, or Only WC ODIs are serious. That should be the poorest dire argument when you are losing, and I have never seen such people refraining from posting threadloads about their ODI team when they are winning.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That's rubbish...which is the bit you keep saying I have a problem with. He obviously didn't know for sure given his reaction afterwards. Your assumptions as to what he should or shouldn't have known are a bit silly. I agree he couldn't have been 100% certain it hit the stumps...said that before too.

I haven't caught up on his diatribe yet...or are you talking about his response?

Oh, and I don't think it was cheating or gamesmanship...
as I say, mate, he can be unsure if whether his gloves hit the stumps but there is a big difference when you take a ball with zero deflection than one that is obviously going to be deflected (when it hits the stumps)... You really have to be a pretty poor keeper if you don't know the difference of how it hits the hands when it has and hasn't hit the stumps....

And anyways, even as you admitted, the best case for him is that he could not have been 100% certain either way. So his remarks were still pretty foolish...

Precambrian

Banned
Depends where you ask it, In India for example, the answer will be ODIs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't doubt that. I do doubt that the percentage of cricket-watchers who don't take ODIs very seriously (and this is different to just "not as seriously as Tests") would be very high at all, though. I'd be surprised if it hit double figures, TBH.

Redbacks

International Captain
At times like these, it is the captain who should show up and take up the responsibility instead of hiding behind vague strain excuses and demoralising the team further.
Reading through the lines <note dangerous thing to do if you are Australian> But you are questioning how much fight/fire in the belly does he have right now. I can imagine it would take an army to stop Steve Waugh from leading the side in the current situation but then a lesson learnt is when he almost ruined his career by playing with a damaged calf in the Ashes and made a ton on one leg.

Precambrian

Banned
Reading through the lines <note dangerous thing to do if you are Australian> But you are questioning how much fight/fire in the belly does he have right now. I can imagine it would take an army to stop Steve Waugh from leading the side in the current situation but then a lesson learnt is when he almost ruined his career by playing with a damaged calf in the Ashes and made a ton on one leg.
The difference was that there was genuine injury for Waugh, in Ponting;s case there is nothing (CA should get some coaching from us in that) .

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Then the CA idiots have proved to total wankers.
So your only beef with them is that they rested him for only part of the series instead of an entire series? :blink:

Wow, if that aggravates you enough to bring out the handbags and label them wankers, you really need to get some perspective and purge your mind of all that Aussie hate. That surpasses even this gem:

Richard said:
How untidy to play half of a two-legged series and not the other half.