• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Redbacks

International Captain
Should the CA give a **** about the IPL? No. No they should not.
If by supporting the IPL, they get the BCCI on board and can make $5 million revenue for participation in the T20 CL, which could then filter down to grass roots, it may be a legitimate consideration. Also you might hedge your bets or risk players quitting international cricket for the lure of the money.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rise above it, Kiwi lads. I've taken the high road for a change. As long as Chaminda_00 hasn't been a moderator in the last few days, I'd expect to see some action taken very soon.
Agreed, best to ignore the chump. If ya going to troll, at least have some class about, MNS has zero

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Even Chappell was more likeable IMO
Nah, Chappell has a case for being considered far worse as a person. For one, if Ponting ever becomes coach of some team in the future, I cannot visualise him in a situation where players throw allegations of betrayal of trust at him. Ponting has an admirable sense of loyalty towards his own camp.

Precambrian

Banned
Nah, Chappell has a case for being considered far worse as a person. For one, if Ponting ever becomes coach of some team in the future, I cannot visualise him in a situation where players throw allegations of betrayal of trust at him. Ponting has an admirable sense of loyalty towards his own camp.
We never know how Ponting will adapt to a playing culture eons different from Australian ones though. Chappell in his time, was a respected captain in his team.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
We never know how Ponting will adapt to a playing culture eons different from Australian ones though. Chappell in his time, was a respected captain in his team.
Ponting, in his playing days, defends his teammates to a fault.

Chappell, in his playing days, abandoned his team and defected to the WSC.

The distinction couldn't be more pronounced if you tried.

Zinzan

Thats why I had the "IMO" beside the statement. Chappell was certainly no angel & its probably a fair point about Ponting's loyalty to his team, but I'm struggling to think of another cricketer disliked to the same extent around cricketing circles right now, probably with the exception of Symonds

_Ed_

That's true, but (just playing devil's advocate here) what if CA didn't release Ponting for the IPL?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Precambrian
If you want to run around telling people what to do, I'd advise that you'd start to behave more appropriately and stop posting to get a reaction out of people. Seeing as you have never displayed an interest in doing that, it'd be in everybody's interest if you stopped telling other members how to post.

MendisNuffSaid
You're time here is limited. I'd recommend that you refrain from posting about New Zealand, if all you have to say about them are inciteful comments.

Lets clean it up a bit around here, people.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

It depends. He didn't really abandon his "team", because basically the whole team came with him. From a player's point of view, that's what a team is all about - the people you play with, not what coloured hat you wear.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
That's true, but (just playing devil's advocate here) what if CA didn't release Ponting for the IPL?
Yeah, I knew that would be brought up, but he's recently been making statements about the Aussies skipping the IPL this year, which satisfies me as to his intentions. It does help that he's already well off even without the IPL, but we can only go by words and actions that are already out there.

It depends. He didn't really abandon his "team", because basically the whole team came with him. From a player's point of view, that's what a team is all about - the people you play with, not what coloured hat you wear.
Yeah, thats fair enough. The rationale I'd apply, and that could justifiably be disagreed with, is that I'd be pretty pissed if the entire current Indian team decided to join the ICL. I'd develop a pretty low opinion of them both as a group and as individuals.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I knew that would be brought up, but he's recently been making statements about the Aussies skipping the IPL this year, which satisfies me as to his intentions. It does help that he's already well off even without the IPL, but we can only go by words and actions that are already out there.

Yeah, thats fair enough. The rationale I'd apply, and that could justifiably be disagreed with, is that I'd be pretty pissed if the entire current Indian team decided to join the ICL. I'd develop a pretty low opinion of them both as a group and as individuals.
As a fan, I would be too. If I were a fellow player, all I'd really care about is the opinion of my peers, though. And as captain, if my peers came with me, I'd feel content with my decision.

If I were the only one from my team to leave for a rebel league, then I'd feel like a complete knob.

Precambrian

Banned

Ponting in his time opted for rest in must win ODIs for Australia, and yet wants to play the full IPL.

Redbacks

International Captain
If the BCCI were making millions yet paying the players only just enough to get by and then they got offered a chance to play ICL and earn money to make a career out of cricket. Thus set the tone for the benefit of fellow players into the future, well I'd say they would deserve some credit. Bradman was a traditionalist, held back by jealousy, a stance had to be made.

Precambrian

Banned
Precambrian
If you want to run around telling people what to do, I'd advise that you'd start to behave more appropriately and stop posting to get a reaction out of people. Seeing as you have never displayed an interest in doing that, it'd be in everybody's interest if you stopped telling other members how to post.

MendisNuffSaid
You're time here is limited. I'd recommend that you refrain from posting about New Zealand, if all you have to say about them are inciteful comments.

Lets clean it up a bit around here, people.
Brillaint. so after all those posts, two guys are culprits? Bloody brilliant.

Redbacks

International Captain
Ponting in his time opted for rest in must win ODIs for Australia, and yet wants to play the full IPL.
have you got a quote on that one?

If the T20 WC is after the IPL tournament, then perhaps CA would be right to want our players to get good T20 experience under their belts.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get that mate... I am not saying he did it intentionally or anything. But he said he was 100% certain the ball hit the stumps and I am saying it is not true. His hands were in front of the stumps, he collects the ball and then he still says the ball hit the stumps when it was clearly going over. As a keeper, he would know for sure if he had taken a ball that hit the stumps. And if he is implying it hit the stumps AFTER he collected, he knows that it is not a bowled dismissal... Either way, he is a moron of the highest order and of course, he knew something was wrong but didn't act on it. And his diatrible juz shows up his stupidity even more.. I won't call it cheating as that means he deliberately broke the stumps but it was definitely pretty low even in terms of gamesmanship on his part...
That's rubbish...which is the bit you keep saying I have a problem with. He obviously didn't know for sure given his reaction afterwards. Your assumptions as to what he should or shouldn't have known are a bit silly. I agree he couldn't have been 100% certain it hit the stumps...said that before too.

I haven't caught up on his diatribe yet...or are you talking about his response?

Oh, and I don't think it was cheating or gamesmanship...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vettori sends Haddin an "apology" text

The whole handling of this matter seems childish to me.

Ponting claiming victory in public over a private text message. It's obvious that Vettori wants to put the matter to rest, even though he never said anything that would need an apology. Yet now, for the second time, Ponting is calling something what it isn't, and airing something private in public which his side also complained about.

Pathetic really.
Did he break up with him via text as well? :happy: