• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gosh, it's almost as if it's harder to do than it looks. Unfair!
Of course it is, but you see where I'm coming from. As a RHB, staying in against Mitchell Johnson is hard, but it's not as hard as staying in facing someone who can get you out bowled, lbw and caught as opposed to just caught. You'd think their performances might reflect that more than they do.

Top_Cat

Of course it is, but you see where I'm coming from. As a RHB, staying in against Mitchell Johnson is hard, but it's not as hard as staying in facing someone who can get you out bowled, lbw and caught as opposed to just caught. You'd think their performances might reflect that more than they do.
He's literally knocked over double the number of righties as lefties with half of those caught behind, though. If anything, it'll probably be the lefties who might eventually get on top of him because he's generally beaten them with pace rather than, say, movement away.

Cricinfo Statsguru - MG Johnson - Test matches - Bowling analysis

There's a lot of mythology associated with Johnson's bowling at Test level and that he's easier to face if you're right-handed just because he bowls a lot of wide ones outside off is part of it. I mean, seriously, when he's taking wickets against the top two batting line-ups in the world right now in losing series', eventually those who claim it's all luck, etc. will have to start revising their opinions or they're maintaining it in the face of some pretty strong evidence to the contrary. Sure he bowls a few more wide ones than most. But geez, he also bowls a lot of balls in some pretty awkward areas too. And for a bowler of that pace, he's remarkably economical too.

Last edited:

Uppercut

He's literally knocked over double the number of righties as lefties with half of those caught behind, though. If anything, it'll probably be the lefties who might eventually get on top of him because he's generally beaten them with pace rather than, say, movement away.

Cricinfo Statsguru - MG Johnson - Test matches - Bowling analysis

There's a lot of mythology associated with Johnson's bowling at Test level and that he's easier to face if you're right-handed just because he bowls a lot of wide ones outside off is part of it. I mean, seriously, when he's taking wickets against the top two batting line-ups in the world right now in losing series', eventually those who claim it's all luck, etc. will have to start revising their opinions or they're maintaining it in the face of some pretty strong evidence to the contrary. Sure he bowls a few more wide ones than most. But geez, he also bowls a lot of balls in some pretty awkward areas too. And for a bowler of that pace, he's remarkably economical too.
I really rate him itbt. It's not luck.

You see things differently when you support a team he's playing against. It's disheartening when you see batsman after batsman getting out to him nicking wide half-volleys.

On the lefty issue, i think he had so much success against them in the SA series because he bowled so well. When he bowls badly he'll probably go for more runs against lefties than he does against right-handers because he opens up both sides of the wicket.

Top_Cat

You see things differently when you support a team he's playing against. It's disheartening when you see batsman after batsman getting out to him nicking wide half-volleys.
I see that as much like complaining about the number of wickets Mendis gets with his straight ball. If you bowl tightly for a while then throw the wide one and the batsman nicks it, that's just good bowling in my book.

On the lefty issue, i think he had so much success against them in the SA series because he bowled so well. When he bowls badly he'll probably go for more runs against lefties than he does against right-handers because he opens up both sides of the wicket.
Yeah, when he's not bowling well, I agree lefties will take a greater toll. Against righties, he'll either be too wide for them to hit him or they'll just keep nicking. :) That Johnson had a slew of missed catches in slips against India in Australia last year tells you how difficult he is to judge. Imagine how it is for the batsmen.

Uppercut

I see that as much like complaining about the number of wickets Mendis gets with his straight ball. If you bowl tightly for a while then throw the wide one and the batsman nicks it, that's just good bowling in my book.
He doesn't bowl tight though. From his angle, with the direction of the movement he gets, he can't bowl a ball that pitches in line and hits the stumps without it being extremely full. Therefore technically the batsmen only need to play leg-stump half-volleys. Obviously cricket's not really like that, but if batsmen are only looking to stay in they shouldn't have a great deal of difficulty (and by that I really mean less difficulty than they would against an equivalent right-arm outswinger). Mendis, like Warney, gets wickets when batsmen play balls they don't have to, or leave balls they do. Johnson barely bowls a ball that the batsman does have to play, so when someone you're supporting gets out playing at one miles outside off you feel like pulling your hair out.

Top_Cat

He doesn't bowl tight though. From his angle, with the direction of the movement he gets, he can't bowl a ball that pitches in line and hits the stumps without it being extremely full. Therefore technically the batsmen only need to play leg-stump half-volleys. Obviously cricket's not really like that, but if batsmen are only looking to stay in they shouldn't have a great deal of difficulty (and by that I really mean less difficulty than they would against an equivalent right-arm outswinger). Mendis, like Warney, gets wickets when batsmen play balls they don't have to, or leave balls they do. Johnson barely bowls a ball that the batsman does have to play, so when someone you're supporting gets out playing at one miles outside off you feel like pulling your hair out.
As someone who supports a team that used to include IT Botham, stop complaining. :p

inbox24

International Debutant
Yeah, when he's not bowling well, I agree lefties will take a greater toll. Against righties, he'll either be too wide for them to hit him or they'll just keep nicking. :) That Johnson had a slew of missed catches in slips against India in Australia last year tells you how difficult he is to judge. Imagine how it is for the batsmen.
Subtle, very subtle. Nice :cool:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No, and I'm not Brad Haddin's hands either so I have no idea what he felt or otherwise. I'm not technically a batsman, so I guess I have no right to comment on anything batting related either. Nor am I a left-arm seamer...I'm right-handed. Areas in which I can offer my opinion are diminishing by the minute.

You don't have to be a wicketkeeper...or a genius...to offer an opinion on what might have happened in this instance. Would he have definitely known? No...
jeez.. enough of the defensive.. 8-)

All I am saying is that if you have kept wickets at any small level, you will know it is a totally different feel when you are taking a ball that has hit the stumps than when you are taking one that hasn't...

And anyways Princess Haddin is now saying that his gloves were in front of the stumps and yet the ball hit the stumps and still found its way back into his gloves.... I didn't know Paris Hilton keeps wickets for Australia.

It is obvious he has been spending way too much time with Ian Healy... :laugh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
jeez.. enough of the defensive.. 8-)

All I am saying is that if you have kept wickets at any small level, you will know it is a totally different feel when you are taking a ball that has hit the stumps than when you are taking one that hasn't...

And anyways Princess Haddin is now saying that his gloves were in front of the stumps and yet the ball hit the stumps and still found its way back into his gloves.... I didn't know Paris Hilton keeps wickets for Australia.

It is obvious he has been spending way too much time with Ian Healy... :laugh:
Just replying to what you said mate...make of it what you will.

He said that before. If you've watched the video (and it doesn't matter what level you've kept at), you'll see his hands move from their initial position where his fingertips were in front of the stumps...said it before.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just replying to what you said mate...make of it what you will.

He said that before. If you've watched the video (and it doesn't matter what level you've kept at), you'll see his hands move from their initial position where his fingertips were in front of the stumps...said it before.
I get that mate... I am not saying he did it intentionally or anything. But he said he was 100% certain the ball hit the stumps and I am saying it is not true. His hands were in front of the stumps, he collects the ball and then he still says the ball hit the stumps when it was clearly going over. As a keeper, he would know for sure if he had taken a ball that hit the stumps. And if he is implying it hit the stumps AFTER he collected, he knows that it is not a bowled dismissal... Either way, he is a moron of the highest order and of course, he knew something was wrong but didn't act on it. And his diatrible juz shows up his stupidity even more.. I won't call it cheating as that means he deliberately broke the stumps but it was definitely pretty low even in terms of gamesmanship on his part...

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get that mate... I am not saying he did it intentionally or anything. But he said he was 100% certain the ball hit the stumps and I am saying it is not true. His hands were in front of the stumps, he collects the ball and then he still says the ball hit the stumps when it was clearly going over. As a keeper, he would know for sure if he had taken a ball that hit the stumps. And if he is implying it hit the stumps AFTER he collected, he knows that it is not a bowled dismissal... Either way, he is a moron of the highest order and of course, he knew something was wrong but didn't act on it. And his diatrible juz shows up his stupidity even more.. I won't call it cheating as that means he deliberately broke the stumps but it was definitely pretty low even in terms of gamesmanship on his part...
Seriously, shut the hell up.

This discussion was done to death days ago.

The only person who knows whether or not Haddin is telling the truth is Haddin himself.

Even if Haddin did not feel that it was right and not say anything, how is that any different to a batsman who nicked one to the keeper and didn't walk? Ultimately no matter what you and I think a player "should" do, it's up to the umpires to enforce the laws of cricket on the field and they didn't. End of story.

Can we now go back to discussing the cricket instead of discussion what you think another player thinks they felt in an event that happened in under half a second that had no relevence to the final outcome.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Vettori sends Haddin an "apology" text

The whole handling of this matter seems childish to me.

Ponting claiming victory in public over a private text message. It's obvious that Vettori wants to put the matter to rest, even though he never said anything that would need an apology. Yet now, for the second time, Ponting is calling something what it isn't, and airing something private in public which his side also complained about.

Pathetic really.

pasag

RTDAS
Vettori sends Haddin an "apology" text

The whole handling of this matter seems childish to me.

Ponting claiming victory in public over a private text message. It's obvious that Vettori wants to put the matter to rest, even though he never said anything that would need an apology. Yet now, for the second time, Ponting is calling something what it isn't, and airing something private in public which his side also complained about.

Pathetic really.
Outstanding from Vettori, not that I think he had to apologise at all ftr, but it's usually the best way to deal with illogical, irrational and emotional people.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Outstanding from Vettori, not that I think he had to apologise at all ftr, but it's usually the best way to deal with illogical, irrational and emotional people.
Dissapointing IMO. haddin knocks the wickets, doesnt say anything, although looks clearly unsure about it on the field. poor sportsmanship.

Haddin doesnt apologise and Dan Vettori, who didnt call anybody a cheat, just said it was dissapointing haddin didnt say anything, has to apologise!!!!!.

The Aussie does that and then the Kiwi apologises??!1!!, and Ponting claims victory after Aussie poor sportsmanship.. I havent really cared much about this episode, but this has really annoyed me.

pasag

RTDAS
Dissapointing IMO. haddin knocks the wickets, doesnt say anything, although looks clearly unsure about it on the field. poor sportsmanship.

Haddin doesnt apologise and Dan Vettori, who didnt call anybody a cheat, just said it was dissapointing haddin didnt say anything, has to apologise!!!!!.

The Aussie does that and then the Kiwi apologises??!1!!, and Ponting claims victory after Aussie poor sportsmanship.. I havent really cared much about this episode, but this has really annoyed me.
What Vettori did was what all captains should do which is to reduce tensions, not inflame them. Look at Sydney 07/08 for an example of how not to captain. Vettori has been exceptional here and Ponting and Haddin come off looking like complete tools.