• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

pup11

International Coach
australia should atleast have a genuine spinner in the squad.there is a sameness about the attack .What Happened to casson?I thought he would replace hogg
Its kind of surprising, the opposition have been using two spinners in tandem to choke Australia in the middle overs through out the summer, but still Australia have failed to realise they too could do the same to them, rather than depending on Clarke and Dussey.

I think Hauritz should be in the team as the ODI spinner, but if they want an even more economical option, then they should opt for Xavier Doherty, he has had a good season or two for the Tassies in OD cricket, gets through his overs quickly and generally doesn't leak away too many runs.

Aaron Heal is another option, but he has this tendency to either bowl very well or be completly piss-poor, so he needs to be slightly more consistent, and i also believe he is more effective on the bouncy WACA track than he is at other places.

Jason Krejza could also do his chances of playing for Australian ODI team no harm, if he can replicate the kind of form he showed in Big Bash T20 games in the ranger cup games too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
spinners have not been taking wickets in the last few years for most sides,but genuine spinners can still contain and pick a odd wicket better than parttime spinners
Australia have no genuine spinners that is the problem. Also their attack has a lot of variety:
Tait-express
Johnson- left quick
Bracken- probably best pacer in ODI cricket
Hilfy- bit of a weak spot this place
Hope- economical

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
forgot vettori,but he still is not a wicket taker in odis
When he isn't taking wickets he's creating pressure for them to be created at the other end. He isn't a wicket taker like Mendis or Murali, but his role in in wickets at the other end shouldn't be underestimated.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Australia have no genuine spinners that is the problem. Also their attack has a lot of variety:
Tait-express
Johnson- left quick
Bracken- probably best pacer in ODI cricket
Hilfy- bit of a weak spot this place
Hope- economical
it looks great on paper but cricket is not played on paper.
tait is erratic,teams have finally started playing johnson as a guy who has only one delivery
bracken does not put fear on to you even if he is ranked as one of the best odi fast bowlers.

and australia has decent spinners in domestic cricket. just because there are not of the class of shane warne,macgill,hogg specially in odis does not mean you should not play them and give them a chance for along run.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Its kind of surprising, the opposition have been using two spinners in tandem to choke Australia in the middle overs through out the summer, but still Australia have failed to realise they too could do the same to them, rather than depending on Clarke and Dussey.

I think Hauritz should be in the team as the ODI spinner, but if they want an even more economical option, then they should opt for Xavier Doherty, he has had a good season or two for the Tassies in OD cricket, gets through his overs quickly and generally doesn't leak away too many runs.

Aaron Heal is another option, but he has this tendency to either bowl very well or be completly piss-poor, so he needs to be slightly more consistent, and i also believe he is more effective on the bouncy WACA track than he is at other places.

Jason Krejza could also do his chances of playing for Australian ODI team no harm, if he can replicate the kind of form he showed in Big Bash T20 games in the ranger cup games too.
But the cold hard truth is that Michael Clarke is just as good as those Australian frontline spinners at doing a containing job.

Australia can probably get away with it for now but they will need at least two viable spinner options for the World Cup and one who can take wickets.

inbox24

International Debutant
it looks great on paper but cricket is not played on paper.
tait is erratic,teams have finally started playing johnson as a guy who has only one delivery
bracken does not put fear on to you even if he is ranked as one of the best odi fast bowlers.
I actually agree with you here.

Tait can't bowl more than 2 overs in a row, and if he does he speed drops 10km/h and looks much less threatening.

Johnson turned out just as I predicted when he got hammered in state games in 05/06, spray can, no control and erratic. His extra pace is nice for the batsman so they don't have to use as much energy to get the ball to the boundary.

Hopes is more a part time bowler than a frontline bowler and needs to be used accordingly.

Hilfenhaus is vastly underrated, even though he swings the ball, takes wickets at a decent clip. Just because he got hammered at the death a bit, just like what any other bowler would have suffered, they've pigeon holed him as a no hoper.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Minus Murali no spinner has been successful against New Zealand in the past few years. Mind boggling call.
nz versus bangladesh

Shakib Al Hasan took 5 wickets at 18 avg with economy of 3 in 3 odis
and in tests he took 10 wickets at 17 and and economy of 1 in 2 tests

nz versus eng

swann took 7 wickets at 24 with economy of 4 in 5 odis

decent outing if you ask anybody.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
But the cold hard truth is that Michael Clarke is just as good as those Australian frontline spinners at doing a containing job.

Australia can probably get away with it for now but they will need at least two viable spinner options for the World Cup and one who can take wickets.
how do you know? has any of the spinners given a long run in the team.

pup11

International Coach

Yeah that is a big concern, the next WC is in the sub-continent and you have got to have atleast one if not two good spinners there, but no thought is being put into that regard.

Australia are going through a rough phase atm, and this might continue for sometime and for the selectors this should be the best time to invest in players with potential who could be the face of the Australian team in the coming future.

Sadly though Aussie selectors are more inclined on desperately finding quick fixes out of nowhere to fix the current rout that the Australian team is in.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Johnson turned out just as I predicted when he got hammered in state games in 05/06, spray can, no control and erratic. His extra pace is nice for the batsman so they don't have to use as much energy to get the ball to the boundary.
How'd he go last game again? How'd he go in 2008 again?

pup11

International Coach
How'd he go last game again? How'd he go in 2008 again?
Yeah its silly to question Johnson' place in the side, he was economical and effective through 2008 and he just had three poor games this year against South Africa, but bounced back well against New Zealand in the last game.

inbox24

International Debutant
To be honest guys I never rated Johnson when I saw him at the beginning and never will, until he learns control. I can't really see him having a fruitful career and even if he does end up taking 300+ wickets, I can't see him been seen as a great bowler.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One effort, (not matchwinning tbh) does not take him above mediocrity.
Being one of the highest wicket takers in the game in the last year does.

TBH, if it were Johnson alone, I'd be concerned but in combination with Siddle etc Oz's fast bowling stocks are very bright if we happen to get everyone fit

Craig

World Traveller
I know it is obvious, but Ponting really does need to find a way to turn Johnson into a strike bowler and not a stock bowler which is sort of what he has become. Jeff Thompson the other day described him as he is getting more tired is becoming more round-arm and isn't Mitchell Johnson, but Mitchell Malinga (a reference to a certain Sri Lankan fast bowler).