• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Precambrian

Banned
You're right mate, he has no idea. Which is why NZ chased that crappy total down in 24 overs with the loss of 2 wickets - his field placements and bowling changes were clearly mud.

And BTW, Warne hasn't played ODI cricket since around 2002-2003, so I'm not sure how much influence he could have had over the OD side snce then...
Truth be told, had McCullum been not given out in that fashion, that was a distinct possibility, and had Broom not Haddined, it would have been won by NZ much earlier than 50th over.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Truth be told, had McCullum been not given out in that fashion, that was a distinct possibility, and had Broom not Haddined, it would have been won by NZ much earlier than 50th over.
Truth be told, if my Aunty had balls she'd be my Uncle.

You can't say that. If you could, Richard's First Chance Average would be a viable cricket statistic and widely accepted by cricket lovers the world over.

pasag

RTDAS
Truth be told, if my Aunty had balls she'd be my Uncle.

You can't say that. If you could, Richard's First Chance Average would be a viable cricket statistic and widely accepted by cricket lovers the world over.
He's right though.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
McCullum' appeal shouldn't be an issue at all, as he has never claimed that he is some saint, he made an appeal (and it shouldn't be relevant either whether he thought it was a catch or not) and umpire ruled the decision in his favour.

The blame solely lies with the umpire, he is there to do a job and that decision was a mistake on his part, and its pretty ridiculous to criticise McCullum over this as he was well within his rights to appeal.
Agreed... however the way haddin and ponting reacted has blown it way out of proportion, and has made them look like complete idiots..

Althou if we had lost.....

heathrf1974

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
After Sunday's game I think Warner is not yet cut out for ODI cricket should be dropped. David Hussey is also struggling for a big score and I think we need to look elsewhere. I was impressed with NZ's bowling, it was nothing flash but disciplined which is what is required in ODI cricket.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think cricket fans the world over underestimate how disciplined our bowling is. We bowl as a unit and to plans and we whittle away.

Uppercut

You're right mate, he has no idea. Which is why NZ chased that crappy total down in 24 overs with the loss of 2 wickets - his field placements and bowling changes were clearly mud.

And BTW, Warne hasn't played ODI cricket since around 2002-2003, so I'm not sure how much influence he could have had over the OD side snce then...
While i agree with the general point about Ponting's ODI captaincy being pretty good, you could argue that batting first is always a bad decision against New Zealand.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ponting isn't a terrible captain nor is he a brilliant captain. If someone were to suggest either they'd be equally ignorant. He gets the job done. (Though hurry up those ****ing overs!)

Burgey

While i agree with the general point about Ponting's ODI captaincy being pretty good, you could argue that batting first is always a bad decision against New Zealand.
That's probably right in some circumstances, but I'm not so sure when it's 36 degrees in Perth.

If we want say if McCullum wasn't given, etc. NZ win easily, then we'll have that argument over every cricket match. I accept Haddin's is different coz of the possible dishonesty involved.

Eg: If M Hussey wasnt given out caught off his lid in Melbourne, Australia woul have batted SA out of the test, given Ponting was at the other end, etc. You just can't say that coz you can never know.

Polo23

International Debutant

Never did I mention ODI cricket. Not really a lot a captain has to do.

I was talking about Ponting's tactical nous in test cricket over the last couple of years without the genius of Warne (and Gilchrist to an extent). It has been very negative and reactive.

Uppercut

That's probably right in some circumstances, but I'm not so sure when it's 36 degrees in Perth.
Hmm, nah, I'd have bowled. It's not like you don't have to do any running in the heat when you're the batting side in ODI cricket, contrary to what the Australia middle order seemed to believe.

Was hardly a shocking call, but the only time I wouldn't put New Zealand in is in a day-nighter at a ground with notoriously awkward lights for batting.

Burgey

Never did I mention ODI cricket. Not really a lot a captain has to do.

I was talking about Ponting's tactical nous in test cricket over the last couple of years without the genius of Warne (and Gilchrist to an extent). It has been very negative and reactive.
I'm tipping the apparent drop off in his captaincy has less to do with Warne the tactician not being there and more to do with Warne and McGrath the bowlers not being there.

It's easy to blame him - look at the attacks he's had to work with since the WI. Lee busted and bowling mud pies, Clark injured, MacGill retired, Hogg retired, McGain injured. Now a rookie like Siddle who's showing promise is injured as well.

Take out bowlers like that together with those who preceded them (Warne and McGrath) and see how positive any captain is when faced with top class opposition like India away and SA with the standard of the attacks he had. You can fudge around it all you like with short covers, silly mid-ons, a couple of midwickets, whatever - if you don't have the bowlers you won't win. Simple.

Flem274*

123/5
I think cricket fans the world over underestimate how disciplined our bowling is. We bowl as a unit and to plans and we whittle away.
The hard workers with no talent thing (like above) is only true to an extent imo. Mills may not be quick and Vettori may not get much turn, but they're talented world class players nonetheless.

Southee and O'Brien may (may) join that group too one day.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So how should our lineup look on Friday?

I think our lineup will be..

1 James Hopes
2 David Warner
3 Michael Clarke
4 Michael Hussey
5 David Hussey
6 Adam Voges
7 Cameron White
8 Brad Haddin
9 Mitchell Johnson
10 Nathan Bracken
11 Shaun Tait

12 Callum Ferguson

Polo23

International Debutant
I'm tipping the apparent drop off in his captaincy has less to do with Warne the tactician not being there and more to do with Warne and McGrath the bowlers not being there.

It's easy to blame him - look at the attacks he's had to work with since the WI. Lee busted and bowling mud pies, Clark injured, MacGill retired, Hogg retired, McGain injured. Now a rookie like Siddle who's showing promise is injured as well.

Take out bowlers like that together with those who preceded them (Warne and McGrath) and see how positive any captain is when faced with top class opposition like India away and SA with the standard of the attacks he had. You can fudge around it all you like with short covers, silly mid-ons, a couple of midwickets, whatever - if you don't have the bowlers you won't win. Simple.
I agree with you to an extent, but Ponting's captaincy was poor even when he did have Warne and McGrath in the side. You can't judge captaincy on results whether the team is winning or losing, but Ponting's field positions have been strange at best, his bowling changes confusing and his over rates (yes, that falls upon the captain) terrible.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The hard workers with no talent thing (like above) is only true to an extent imo. Mills may not be quick and Vettori may not get much turn, but they're talented world class players nonetheless.

Southee and O'Brien may (may) join that group too one day.
Well every team has world class players but we are a very good attack without needing every player to be a one man army.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I love Mills, he's an absolute champion ODI bowler.

It would be fantastic if he was an Aussie. Mills alongside Bracken and I guess a quick like Tait would be tremendous.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So how should our lineup look on Friday?

I think our lineup will be..

1 James Hopes
2 David Warner
3 Michael Clarke
4 Michael Hussey
5 David Hussey
6 Adam Voges
7 Cameron White
8 Brad Haddin
9 Mitchell Johnson
10 Nathan Bracken
11 Shaun Tait