• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Don't agree with what? That McCullum didn't hear anything?

tbh I guess the other possibility is that McCullum just did the token "leg-side wide appeal" and to his surprise the umpire gave it. However, his reaction was not nearly sheepish enough for that. We are talking about the same bloke who ran out Chris Mpofu when he went to congratulate Blessing Mahwire on making a test 50 ffs.
He did the exact same thing twice. Mpofu was the first victim back in late 2005. NZ were cruising to an innings victory and had 2 tail-enders in. It's almost as if he enjoys doing dodgy stuff like that.
No. He just enjoys playing against batting retards who don't know the laws of the game. I have ZERO sympathy for idiots who seem incapable of realising when the ball is dead and when it isn't.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Watched the video once and it seemed to me that:

a. ball wasnt going to hit the stumps;

b. it was atrocious keeping rather than an intentional slight of hand that resulted in bails coming off and should've produced a no-ball call;

c. neither batsman nor keeper had a clue but it seems both assumed that it was out when bails were on ground

d. bowler and fieldsmen were convinced and immediately started celebrating

e. umpires were obviously convinced

f. Haddin probably should've asked the umpire but ,having failed to do so, should definitely either apologised or shut the hell up
Looks about right to me.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A few people at work have asked the question, "What would Gilchrist have done?"

I suspect the answer is not take the ball in front of the stumps in the first place.

Flem274*

123/5
Hmmm shows the level of respect the Australian management has for us when they rest Ponting and Hussey. Spose the order will be something like:

Hopes
Warner
Clarke
Dussey
Vogels Bread/Ferguson
White
Haddin

?

Mills to **** all over that order imo. If they get over 250 then I'll be dissappointed frankly. I'm worried about our batting but then again, if Gutpill and Broom don't make at least one 50 this series I will be quite disappointed with them, so whilst Taylor and McCullum are vital, Broom, Guptill and Elliott should be expected to at least get 30s and 40s.

I predict NZ to win a relatively low scoring series (never thought I'd say that in at least this decade tbh).

Natman20

International Debutant
Changing the batting line-up like that to an already which already hads shown to be fragile is a bonus for NZ. The new aussies are under pressure but yet they have nothing to lose.

Match reactions for me, NZs batting looked pretty average, I liked the look of Elliott, Broom. They should definately be in the next match however as much as I like Fulton he could not handle pace and was lucky to be beaten so many times without taking edges. As for the glove incident, I think its time to move on now, NZ won the match anyway so if you want to cheat at least do it to win! :laugh: I am quite worried at the number of bowlers to the number of batsmen but there is not much that can be done but just rely on Mills and Vettori to perform.

TazzX

U19 12th Man
Im so suprised by CA resting Ponting and Hussey. I guess they just dont care of they get slaughtered by the worlds worst cricket team :laugh: but more to the point at least now they will have another excuse to add to the list of many excuses they already have for being owned!

JBH001

International Regular
22 pages in about 12 hours, most of it about the Haddin incident! :laugh:

As I said, pretty stoked we did not lost by a few runs, it would have been about 44 pages at least.

Its a shame that the next game is so far away though, leaves too much space and time to go on and on about the Haddin incident.

That said though, I do think its time to move on and start discussing the cricket.

TazzX

U19 12th Man
Let me throw something out there and tell me why Im wrong or right.

Ponting is perhaps on his way out as a captain? that is why they are looking at "resting" him and giving the leadership to Clarke to see how it goes?

:-O

Polo23

International Debutant

Ponting is perhaps on his way out as a captain? that is why they are looking at "resting" him and giving the leadership to Clarke to see how it goes?

That is what I said about 20 pages back. They are trying someone else out before they give Ponting the boot.

Natman20

International Debutant
I don't think Ponting's captaincy is a problem. He put everything where it should have been for pretty much most of the bowling/feilding effort. He fired up the Australians when they came on the field. I think it's more to do with his personal form and letting others have a go with a bat that this is more about. Ponting is a good captain and his years of success have proven that.

Polo23

International Debutant
:laugh:

If you say so.

His years of success were because of the brilliant players he had under him. When he has a slightly less brilliant team, he doesnt know what to do. Without the brains behind the years of success (Warne) he is screwed.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Batting strengths:
NZ:
McCullum
Guptill
---------
Taylor
Broom
----------

Well West Indies may have slightly better stars but they only have 3 and I'd say the likes of Fulton/Elliott/Cumming aren't as bad as some of the other West Indian players. We're still perfectly capable of big scores it just means that we can't afford to have more than two of these guys fail in any match. Our frailty is being overcooked a bit here.

As is Australia's, though hopefully as a new team and relatively defeated Australian team we'll have the advantage. Shame we couldn't have a full strength series, (regarding injury not form, otherwise we'd lose :p )

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batting strengths:
NZ:
McCullum
Guptill
---------
Taylor
Broom
----------

Well West Indies may have slightly better stars but they only have 3 and I'd say the likes of Fulton/Elliott/Cumming aren't as bad as some of the other West Indian players. We're still perfectly capable of big scores it just means that we can't afford to have more than two of these guys fail in any match. Our frailty is being overcooked a bit here.

As is Australia's, though hopefully as a new team and relatively defeated Australian team we'll have the advantage. Shame we couldn't have a full strength series, (regarding injury not form, otherwise we'd lose :p )
I think New Zealand are more than capable of hitting big ODI scores, particularly chasing. McCullum and Ryder can cut the target down to size in the powerplays, Guptill and Taylor can bat through then accelarate, Broom and Oram can hit out if they're coming in late or rebuild if they're in early. Vettori, Mills and even Southee can all use the death effectively if all else fails.

It's not really about the stand-out players or match-winners, New Zealand are tailor-made for ODI cricket and they're probably as good in that format as anyone.

pasag

RTDAS

Nope, he's played non-stop since India and they don't want to lose him with SA and England coming up.

Let's no forget they rested him for the entire CH series in 06-07

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh:

If you say so.

His years of success were because of the brilliant players he had under him. When he has a slightly less brilliant team, he doesnt know what to do. Without the brains behind the years of success (Warne) he is screwed.
You're right mate, he has no idea. Which is why NZ chased that crappy total down in 24 overs with the loss of 2 wickets - his field placements and bowling changes were clearly mud.

And BTW, Warne hasn't played ODI cricket since around 2002-2003, so I'm not sure how much influence he could have had over the OD side snce then...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yes he would.this is a cricket ball not a jfk bullet.if haddin admits he knew his hands were in front of the stumps then the ball cant go around it to hit the bails can it?
Christ...I'm not going through it again...his hands were moving...watch the video for ****'s sake.