• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Redbacks

International Captain
yes he would.this is a cricket ball not a jfk bullet.if haddin admits he knew his hands were in front of the stumps then the ball cant go around it to hit the bails can it?
how did it get infront in the first place without taking off the bail's? Now press rewind

Precambrian

Banned
Paul Holden's take in the Sideline slogger.

Sideline Slogger

Brad Haddin deserves to incur the wrath of the New Zealand cricketing public after a poor piece of sportsmanship in last night’s match at the WACA. He joins the infamous Greg Dyer in the box marked “dodgy Australian wicketkeepers”...............

..........Mark Nicholas said it all, recently described by the Dominion Post as the greatest Australian jockstrap sniffer going around at the moment: “Well, well, well, well,” he said. Translated, that meant: “It looks like there’s something rotten with what happened here and I am not sure whether I should zero in on it or not.” An ad break quickly followed.

:laugh:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"After looking at the replay, my hands were in front of the stumps," and then go on to say ""But the ball, I'm 100% positive, hit the bails first and then came up into my gloves":huh:

i rest my case -either haddin is pretty dense or he thinks cricket viewers are more stupid than him.
Take a look around here

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
omg-every Hair agrees-

FORMER Test umpire Darrell Hair said yesterday Neil Broom should definitely have been given not out and that it was "unfortunate" wicketkeeper Brad Haddin hadn't admitted his infringement.

"It's quite clear-cut. His [Haddin's] gloves were in front of the stumps and the ball hadn't passed the line of stumps, so he's in breach of the law and it should have just been an automatic no-ball," said Hair, now executive officer of the NSW Cricket Umpires and Scorers Association.

"Of all the people on the ground, he would have been the one who was best positioned to know. I think he should have owned up to it. I saw that [Ricky] Ponting has gone into bat for him after the Kiwis called him [Haddin] a cheat, but I can understand why the Kiwis would be livid about it."

The responsibility for detecting Haddin's encroachment lay with square leg umpire Bruce Oxenford. "People think the square leg umpire is out there for a rest, but the most important thing the square leg umpire is out there to look for are the things that happen the least and that's hit wicket and the wicketkeeper encroaching," Hair said.

"It should have just been called a no-ball from the square leg umpire … You can't be stumped and you can't be bowled off a no-ball. But it's obvious that the ball missed the stump as well."

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously, the biggest beef I have with Oz cricket at the moment are not the performances (no-one can win forever and especially with the injury toll and daft selections) but the obvious lack of leadership and the total incompetency of management

Is it too much to ask for one of the many people that CA employ or the so-called "leadership group" to have taken Haddin aside and quietly advised him that there might be a problem and what is required is a contrite and humble apology to those people who had been upset by the incident?

The guy didnt even have to admit guilt and he would've been viewed in a far more positive light than both he and the team is today

Really leads me to believe that there is no discipline or control

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously, the biggest beef I have with Oz cricket at the moment are not the performances (no-one can win forever and especially with the injury toll and daft selections) but the obvious lack of leadership and the total incompetency of management
Yeah, they have delayed making the right decision. There appears (from the outside) little direction and focus. Ponting should have gone after India and Australia should now have enjoyed a successful summer during the new captains honeymoon period.

This is simlar to when Flintoff was given the captaincy for the Ashes. The wrong guy is in charge and its just a matter of time before the change needs to be made.

Dragging it out like CA are doing is making a mess and wasting a season or 2.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Gorgeous win NZ.. Well done..

As for Haddin, well I'd have to watch the action to make my own call, but all the signs point to him being an eejit of note.. Gilly would never have done something so unsporting!

pup11

International Coach

Is it too much to ask for one of the many people that CA employ or the so-called "leadership group" to have taken Haddin aside and quietly advised him that there might be a problem and what is required is a contrite and humble apology to those people who had been upset by the incident?

The guy didnt even have to admit guilt and he would've been viewed in a far more positive light than both he and the team is today

I started a thread regarding Tim Neilsen and this was pretty much the same thing i was trying to say.

When Trevor Hohns and John Buchanan were running the show, nobody really gave them much credit tbh, but obviously now one can see they were doing a damn good job in their tenure.

Of course Australia had great players at that time, but still to channelise and organise all those stars in a single group and keep them focused and disciplined was a job very well done by all the administrators of that period.

Ponting is pretty much a clueless leader and he alone can't plan the road ahead for this Australian team, he needs wise heads around him, which i obviously don't see in Nielsen, Hilditch or Sutherland.

As you said, its seems pretty much as if that the players are running the show atm and they don't seem to give a damn about the authorities atm.

Anyways just out of curiosity, are guys like Hilditch and Sutherland holding accountable posts, or are they super-glued to their posts for a particular period of time with zero accountability, i am asking this because, lets say if players don't perform, then they are axed, but is there any prohibition through which these guys can be fired.

pup11

International Coach
Gorgeous win NZ.. Well done..

As for Haddin, well I'd have to watch the action to make my own call, but all the signs point to him being an eejit of note.. Gilly would never have done something so unsporting!
I don't think Gilly would have made the basic mistake of bringing his glove in-front of the stumps, leave alone being unsporting, now that's the kind of mistake kids from elementary school make when playing cricket.

This incident aside too, i think generally Haddin's glove-work since taking over from Gilchirst has been poor, Gilly's glove-work even during twilight of his career wasn't this bad, he has given away byes, he hasn't gone for catches that he should have, he has been sloppy with his takes behind the stump, and is it only me or is he in general very hesitant to stand up to the stumps to medium pacers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, they have delayed making the right decision. There appears (from the outside) little direction and focus. Ponting should have gone after India and Australia should now have enjoyed a successful summer during the new captains honeymoon period.

This is simlar to when Flintoff was given the captaincy for the Ashes. The wrong guy is in charge and its just a matter of time before the change needs to be made.

Dragging it out like CA are doing is making a mess and wasting a season or 2.
Yeah, agree with this. Post-India was the time to go (and i really thought he would).

His one-day captaincy isn't bad at all though. He's not the liability there he is in tests.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, agree with this. Post-India was the time to go (and i really thought he would).

His one-day captaincy isn't bad at all though. He's not the liability there he is in tests.
Ponting not being axed obviously has something to do with lack of other convincing options, though Clarke has come across as a decent captain whenever i have seen him, but that's hardly proof enough.

I don't think though Ponting would be axed as captain any time soon, he would cling onto the captaincy for as long as he plays, and only a horrible run in the remaining year would only result in him being stripped of his captaincy.

Precambrian

Banned

And I could not believe it when Haddin asked Vettori to apologise for his harsh comments. :laugh:

Zinzan

omg-every Hair agrees-

FORMER Test umpire Darrell Hair said yesterday Neil Broom should definitely have been given not out and that it was "unfortunate" wicketkeeper Brad Haddin hadn't admitted his infringement.

"It's quite clear-cut. His [Haddin's] gloves were in front of the stumps and the ball hadn't passed the line of stumps, so he's in breach of the law and it should have just been an automatic no-ball," said Hair, now executive officer of the NSW Cricket Umpires and Scorers Association.

"Of all the people on the ground, he would have been the one who was best positioned to know. I think he should have owned up to it. I saw that [Ricky] Ponting has gone into bat for him after the Kiwis called him [Haddin] a cheat, but I can understand why the Kiwis would be livid about it."

The responsibility for detecting Haddin's encroachment lay with square leg umpire Bruce Oxenford. "People think the square leg umpire is out there for a rest, but the most important thing the square leg umpire is out there to look for are the things that happen the least and that's hit wicket and the wicketkeeper encroaching," Hair said.

"It should have just been called a no-ball from the square leg umpire … You can't be stumped and you can't be bowled off a no-ball. But it's obvious that the ball missed the stump as well."
Well said Mr Hair

Zinzan

On the money there, well said