• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty surprised they're resting Ponting now, especially with Marsh injured. Surely resting him from the dead rubber, or the T20's, would be better.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Said this before on here, but the worst "claimed catch" ever is Roger Harper off Michael Bevan in the ODI where Bevan made 70 odd and won it by 1 wicket with a last ball four. Ended up lying down with his body between the ball and the umpire on the pitch, and picked it up off the ground and claimed the catch, in full view of Bevan. Was amazing stuff.

edit: Found it, haha. This video, about 4:25-4:50 or so. Amusing stuff.
Steve Waugh claiming Lara in Barbados 95 was just as bad.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Steve Waugh claiming Lara in Barbados 95 was just as bad.
Apart from the fact that Waugh caught that ball.

I thought for the longest times that he claimed a false catch but on repeated viewing it was a freak dismissal and the ball clearly doesnt touch the ground.

I owe Waugh an apology for stuff Ive said about him over that dismissal over the years.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm pretty surprised they're resting Ponting now, especially with Marsh injured. Surely resting him from the dead rubber, or the T20's, would be better.
Wouldnt surprise me if Ponting was considering his future as captain tbh

I've a lot of respect for the way that he's performed as a cricketer whilst captain and taking time off when his team is in turmoil just doesnt add up to needing a day off

social

I thought for the longest times that he claimed a false catch but on repeated viewing it was a freak dismissal and the ball clearly doesnt touch the ground.

I owe Waugh an apology for stuff Ive said about him over that dismissal over the years.
Yep, brilliant/freakish catch

Steve Waugh was a lot of things but he eptiomised "hard but fair."

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

I've a lot of respect for the way that he's performed as a cricketer whilst captain and taking time off when his team is in turmoil just doesnt add up to needing a day off
I dunno, I'd be surprised if he jacked in the captaincy. Maybe he's still having problems with his wrist.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

I also believe that Waugh honestly believe he caught the ball. But just like Harper in that video, he didn't catch it either. I have seen that many times myself.

Shall look for the video (hopefully the fungus isn't too bad) just to confirm what i've seen before though.

JBH001

International Regular
Nice win for the boys, pretty stoked with that, and with Taylor's calm, cool knock.

I am too busy to watch much cricket these days, bar the highlights packages, but who is the new voice in the 9 box? He is awful, just awful.

Also, and yeah, Haddin was as bad an example of blatant cheating as I have ever seen,

social

So Marsh and Ponting both out?

Chances are that Clarke will be captain and no. 3 (dont want either), Katich as opener to settle down Warner (positive), Symonds to slot back (positive if fit but team still lacks balance if he cant bowl) and Hussey moving up (negative)

JBH001

International Regular

Do you mean that Ponting is considering his future as captain? Why would he want to do that?

I dont know, but would it not make more sense for him to continue as captain in a bad time for his team? I dont mean to suggest that he is running away, I dont think he is that kind of cricketer, but it sure can look that way - especially to biased viewers. Or do you mean that pressure is being brought to bear on him?

HeathDavisSpeed

Bloody hell. Just seen the replay of Haddin/Broom dismissal. An absolute disgrace. How the square leg umpire didn't call that no ball, I don't know. You don't have much to do at square leg, but the keeper's gloves is one thing you must keep an eye on. Terrible, terrible umpiring and pretty low keeping.

JBH001

International Regular
Looks like M.Hussey is being rested as well :unsure:
Hussey as well? Wtf is going on?

This is not going to become a "we think we will lose anyway, so we will pretend that we just didnt care and played a less than strongest possible XI", is it? I dont understand it. Although, did read a report on Fox Sports on the upcoming schedule for the Australian players. 23 tests, 50 ODI games, a number of 20/20s (and the IPL). I think it mentioned that CA was talking about rotating players. Maybe this Is the first sign of that swinging into action?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Looks indeed like this next Australian Side will be one of our least experienced in recent times. Am excited to see the replacements, excluding the obvious Cameron White...